Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - Puma1975

Have a W reg ford puma 1.7, needs a new exhaust as cat is on way out. Has done 127k miles - still drives nicely apart from an occasionally holding back due to the cat. Anyway MOT and Tax both expire end of month, have been quoted £450 for a new exhaust to be fitted, is it worth getting fixed or should I sell or scrap?? Not sure how much I would get in this condition

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - Wackyracer

Stick it on Ebay listing all the faults, There is probably someone who would buy it.

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - Avant

Is the rest of the car in good shape? I think the Puma, especially the 1.7, might become a modern classic in about 5-10 years' time. You won't get much for it now, so perhaps one to keep and use occasionally if you can afford another car.

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - Puma1975

Thanks for advice - maybe will SORN it for a while

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - madf

tinyurl.com/kww339y

exhauts much cheaper than £450 - even with £100 for fitting..

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - Andrew-T

I think the Puma, especially the 1.7, might become a modern classic in about 5-10 years' time.

Classic? Pah. :-) The 205 is meant to become a 'classic', and in design terms it may well be, but not many seem to be big earners, and they are a dwindling species ...

Edited by Andrew-T on 16/11/2013 at 23:10

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - Bromptonaut

Is it a main car or kept for fun?

If the former and the exhaust is all it needs then go for it - cheap motoring for another year. Other parts are presumably straight form the same era's Mondeo or other common Fords and are cheap as chips in either OEM or pattern form.

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - bathtub tom

OP said: "needs a new exhaust as cat is on way out"

Implies it's just the cat that needs replacing. I'd be tempted to get a cheap on off ebay and fit it for the MOT (it probably won't last long). I'd the knock the guts out of the old one and run on that all year, re-fitting the new one just for MOTs.

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - skidpan

Other parts are presumably straight form the same era's Mondeo or other common Fords and are cheap as chips in either OEM or pattern form.

The Puma was based on the mid 90's Fiesta and was an excellent car, we had one for 6 years and during that time other than the normal (and expected) worn front suspension bushes and failed heater valve gave no troubles.

Problem is they are rotting away faster than most cars of their era especially around the rear wheel arches (this normally started just after the 6 year warranty expired) and in the sills and sometimes in the floor pan. I cannot honestly remember when I last saw one that did not have the rear arch rot.

Some mechanical parts are unique to the Puma (the 1700 engine was used in no other Ford) but most are not and are typically reasonable priced but body repairs can be very expensive due to normal labour rates.

Before you spend any money on get the body checked over to ensure it will pass an MOT, you don't want to go spending several hundred pounds sorting it mechanically to still have a pile of scrap on the drive.

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - Trilogy

I think the Puma, especially the 1.7, might become a modern classic in about 5-10 years' time.

Classic? Pah. :-) The 205 is meant to become a 'classic', and in design terms it may well be, but not many seem to be big earners, and they are a dwindling species ...

205 GTi/CTi/XS certainly are classics. Low mileage diesels are starting to rise in value. Source - Peugeot Owners Club today at CMS NEC.

Puma is destined to become a classic. A friend like hers so much that she has just had both front wings replaced. That cost more than my Merc for the same work. She has also had the rear wheel arches done. A little crazy, maybe. There is alot of sentimental value in that car because it belonged to her now deceased daughter.

Edited by Trilogy on 17/11/2013 at 18:38

Ford Puma - Is this worth trying to sell or should I scrap? - Bobbin Threadbare

Puma is destined to become a classic. A friend like hers so much that she has just had both front wings replaced. That cost more than my Merc for the same work. She has also had the rear wheel arches done. A little crazy, maybe. There is alot of sentimental value in that car because it belonged to her now deceased daughter.

That is understandable.

Collector-worthy or not, I would be tempted to put the Puma on eBay and see what you'll get. I know a few people who race them on track events and one like the OPs would be well received, as they'd do any work themselves and it doesn't need MOT etc.