Democracy - DrippingSump

Voting in our democracy is a pointless exercise.

There was a time when it made sense to express ones views via a ballot paper, but the implementation of the “user pays” full blown capitalism of Reagonomics and Thatcherism and its pervasive reach over some decades now has made electoral voting a waste of time. Global economics has happened and it is now stepping on my face.

Corporations have grown so big they have more money than countries and can wield incredible pressure on governments. Take the recent veiled threat from the boss of Nissan for example that pulling out of the EU would not be looked upon favourably by his company. I hear what you say Carlos Ghosn.

Even Alex Salmond appears to have had an effect on ship-building in England. Although government says otherwise, the decision to stop ship-building in Portsmouth and promising the Clyde work is plainly a way of dangling a carrot to the Scots. How many people in Portsmouth who voted blue now feel betrayed?

There are also global agencies that override our right to sovereign decisions. Take Standard and Poors for example, if they say something about the economy of a country, it will have an effect that I did not vote for. If the EU decrees on a topic it also has an effect, which I didn’t vote for them. Then of course there is Human Rights legislation – don’t get me started.

So from my very simple view of the world I see no point in voting. It really is futile in a global capitalist environment due to non-elected agencies having sway over us. I accept it and save myself the effort of getting out my armchair come election day. Of course it will all be my fault in the eyes of the politicians who will cry “voter apathy”. Is it any wonder? I am not actually apathetic, indeed I am quite angry and frustrated, but I also know when I am beaten. Our country is not a democratic one. Yes, on paper it is and it ticks all the right boxes for politicians to state that it is a democracy.

Perhaps it is time to embrace this new world order and get rid of parliament, politicians, and the notion of democracy and we just have corporations running things. It is mostly in place anyway.

Democracy - tony g
(Voting in our democracy is a pointless exercise)

Doing nothing by not voting , is never an option and the idea that corporations could do a better job of running the economy/ country ,amounts to no more than a first year students debate .
After all corporations ,in particular banks ,are the ones who created the dreadful state of western economies we have just endured .

While I agree that democracy is not perfect there is no realistic alternative

.As voters we can remove politicians who fail to run the country properly ,consider how many changes of government there has been in the last 40 years.

Finally consider what Edmund Burke said about apathy .

“All it takes for evil to succeed is for a few good men to do nothing...”
Democracy - galileo
As voters we can remove politicians who fail to run the country properly ,consider how many changes of government there has been in the last 40 years. -

And look where it has got us - the country is in deeper debt than ever due to successive governments buying votes with benefits paid for with borrowed money, selling our freedom down the river to the EU (in the hope of lucrative jobs when they retire from Westminster).

Navy, Army and Airforce cut to shreds because the cash has been wasted on other things, don't get me started on what those are, you can no doubt think of many yourselves).

No credible policy for power supplies because Lab/LIb had irrational phobia about nuclear power and Cons fell for the hysteria about CO2 (and possibly had shares in windmill makers).

All governments over the last 40 years have failed to put the interests of the British people first, elected politicians care mainly about staying on the gravy train, by getting re-elected.

It could therefore be argued that a benevolent dictator could achieve more, by not being constrained by the need for popularity and consensus.
Democracy - focussed

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Winston Churchill

Democracy - tony g
( The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.

Winston Churchill )

Sad to say I agree ,I remember a few years ago watching a former Tory voter being interviewed post election .

The interviewer asked why did you vote labour ,the answer because I wanted a change .The interviewer asked why did you want a change .The voter ,because I wanted a change .The interviewer asked again ,I don't know really I just wanted a change .

I remember at the time thinking that's so depressing ,perhaps it's a good reason for only property owners having the vote ,wasn't it the case many years ago that to be a voter you had to be a person of worth to vote ?
Democracy - tony g

( It could therefore be argued that a benevolent dictator could achieve more, by not being constrained by the need for popularity and consensus. )

Has there ever been one ? Absolute power always ends in disaster .
Democracy - jamie745

Well what an intriguing thread this is.

There was a time when it made sense to express ones views via a ballot paper, but the implementation of the “user pays” full blown capitalism of Reagonomics and Thatcherism and its pervasive reach over some decades now has made electoral voting a waste of time. Global economics has happened and it is now stepping on my face.

Well Globalisation is real and it's happening. We're also in a World where Asia & Brazil will call most of the economic shots over the next century, nobody you vote for will change that. The curious flaw is that - much in the style of a Guardian columnist - you blame Thatcher & Reagan for this. The reality is all this stuff was true before either took office, they inherited the reality and adjusted policy accordingly.

It could therefore be argued that a benevolent dictator could achieve more, by not being constrained by the need for popularity and consensus.

Well that's a horrifically dangerous viewpoint. It's this mindset which the European Union believes in. The idea that an unelected Technocrat, largely immune to public opinion will make better decisions for the people. It's the same idealogy behind central economic planning, the idea that the state should control the economy. The obvious flaw of course is that the central planners & technocrats are no more or less likely to get their sums right than anybody else.

There is no such thing as an impartial third party. Don't believe in any banking regulator being smarter than banks. Don't believe in energy regulators doing any better than energy companies. Every human has their opinions, interests, self interests, prejudices and ideals.

perhaps it's a good reason for only property owners having the vote ,wasn't it the case many years ago that to be a voter you had to be a person of worth to vote ?

Yes, at the start of the 20th century the British establishment deemed no woman under 30 as being a person of worth. Article 1 of the US Constitution values a black person as three-fifths of a person.

I'm sorry Tony but I don't buy your narrative. You won't find a harsher critic of Brown Economics than myself, but the very idea that our problems were all caused by one Government since 1997 is quite stupid. The problem in terms of politics is the same in every party - Party/Government survival is more important than principle or the country.

Remember those brave Conservative rebels? In protest against John Major signing the Maastricht treaty, which surrendered our democracy to the European Union? When it came to a confidence vote in Parliament, most of them - Bill Cash and the likes - put Party before Country and voted to keep Major in office. In that regard, they're all the same.

Corporations have grown so big they have more money than countries and can wield incredible pressure on governments.

In fairness to the OP, I can sort of see the point. I think. I've said before that 'capitalist' and 'pro business' are not the same thing, even the biggest City shark is not really a capitalist. Every major business person, corperation & financier is a monopolist. They want the money & control for themselves. A free capitalist market should prevent them from having it and protect us from it.

Take these 'big six' energy firms, they're companies with connections. They have access to politicians and regularly lobby for more EU regulations - designed to put smaller competitors out of business. They're not what I'd call 'private sector' because they become so large, they're effectively State Institutions themselves.

The OP seems to want to live in a land where everything is decided by a politician who wins an election. Frankly, I can't think of anybody worse to be in charge of things.

Democracy - tony g
( but the very idea that our problems were all caused by one Government since 1997 is quite stupid )

You misunderstand ,the point I made was that voters can remove a government that they are unhappy with ,every 5 years ,democracy .

A simple proposition without a realistic alternative .
Democracy - jamie745

You misunderstand ,the point I made was that voters can remove a government that they are unhappy with ,every 5 years ,democracy .

Well yes you're right but I'd argue democracy is about more than putting a cross in the box every few years. It's about more than things on paper. The Soviet Union had a very nice constitution, guaranteeing it's citizens human rights and prosperity. They even sort of had elections - of a fashion - but until Gorbachev there was no chance of electing anybody who would severely disrupt a status quo.

I feel we've got the same sort of problem here now, because if the choice really is between (or some combination of) the Conservatives, Labour & the Liberal Democrats, well there really is no point in voting. All of those parties support EU membership. They all support open borders to 27 other countries. They all support surrendering supremacy of law to foreign courts. They all support the big state. They all support Government interfearence in peoples lives. They all support the climate change agenda. They all support the Wind Farm agenda, which continues to rob from the poor to feed the rich.

Seriously, what's the difference? It doesn't matter to me whether Cameron or Miliband resides in Number 10. No matter which one wins, you'll still have what you had before. There's no real danger of a genuine opponent to it winning, because the professional elite class have control of the big political parties, they've got the connections with the media barons, they've got the big business friends with the ability to scare the public.

Take the recent veiled threat from the boss of Nissan for example that pulling out of the EU would not be looked upon favourably by his company. I hear what you say Carlos Ghosn.

Can I just remind you, Carlos Ghosn said about 15 years ago, when he took over Nissan that Nissan may have to close the Sunderland plant if Britain didn't join the Euro. His actual power, when it comes to the crunch is minimal. He may be a bit of an eco-freak, with his commitment to renewable energy and electric cars, but business is business. Nissan will carry on building cars here because it works for them.

Remember the Sunderland plant was originally opened as a means for Nissan to avoid tariffs when selling into the (what was) European Community. Cars made outside the EC were subject to import tariffs, so they started building them here to avoid that. They will continue to do so, as the big investment has already been made and Nissan keep lauding the performance of Sunderland.

Democracy - Andrew-T

< They all support the big state. They all support Government interference in people's lives. >

I'd like to know how you envisage your life with no 'Government interference'. That means (literally) no government, i.e.anarchy - everyone does what he/she wants or can get away with. Not acceptably possible in a country of many millions.

Democracy - jamie745

I'd like to know how you envisage your life with no 'Government interference'. That means (literally) no government, i.e.anarchy - everyone does what he/she wants or can get away with. Not acceptably possible in a country of many millions.

Well that's just a silly thing to say, an example of the 0mph or 100mph approach to debating which winds me up. If you oppose the big state, you're therefore an anarchist who wants to murder baby children.

The key word is 'interference.' I subscribe to the classical liberal thinking of 'you can do whatever you want, so long as it doesn't harm me.' In terms of the economy, the State has proven itself to be pretty useless at almost everything. It couldn't build cars, it couldn't run phone lines and now it's proving it can't run banks, so I want the State out of most matters.

I'll give you a few examples; the Government spent many years drafting legislation to outlaw 'king sized' chocolate bars, but it took a Nestle lawyer about 13 seconds to notice it doesn't prohibit two smaller bars being sold in one packet. Then the Duo was born. Why was the Government getting involved in chocolate bar sizes in the first place?

The smoking ban, possibly the most draconian piece of legislation I have seen in my 29 year life. The way I see it is simple; it should be up to the Pub proprietor whether people are allowed to smoke in the Pub or not. Smoking is still a legal activity after all. If the Pub wants a seperate room for smokers, it should be free to have it.

I don't smoke, and nor do I hunt foxes, but I believe you should be free to do both if you wish.

I class practically all 'traffic calming' and other gerrymandering schemes to tax the motorist as Government interfearence. They want you to take the bus, so they'll spend your money on forcing you onto it. Though to be fair, Councils are even worse for this kind of nonsense.

Then you've got the never ending Quangos, public bodies and 'advisory commissions' on everything under the sun as Government continues to make more and more rules about what you can and can't do. Economically they interfere by taxing heavily and regulating too much.

It's very simple really.

Edited by jamie745 on 25/11/2013 at 17:04

Democracy - Bromptonaut

DS,

You need to decide, of the various things you're angry about, which are the priority.

I'd go for the corporate stuff that's squeezing money that once went into wages into the pockets of the rich. Ghosn's suggestion about investment in a UK outwith Europe is low down the scale; really no more than a statement of fact.

The free trade treaty between EU and US is much, much, more worrying. Basically action of government that might infringe a very wide desription of inhibiting free trade can be challenged. Not in national or international courts but to a tribunal of the reat and good. I know Monbiot is a professor of gloom and despondency but this stuff is truly scary:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/04/us-trade-deal-full-frontal-assault-on-democracy

Notwithstanding the hue and cry in the UK press there's an argument that the Human Rights Convention/Act are a strong democratic tool. The press are terrified the act might create the right to privacy against which they've intimdated both main parties. After all, it would threaten theri massive income form kissand tell.

The act allows Government to be called to account before the UK courts. While the press focus on the egregious cases of 'rights' claimed for unpopular groups it's also been used to secure family rights in adoption cases and many years ago did for the 'closed shop'. See also the current govenment's 'crusade' against Judical Revie; anothe means by which the citizen can hold the executive to account.

Democracy - jamie745

You need to decide, of the various things you're angry about, which are the priority.

I'd go for the corporate stuff that's squeezing money that once went into wages into the pockets of the rich.

I'd go for the fact our professional political class have surrendered the United Kingdoms democracy to the European Union, rendering our general elections completely irrelevant. There's other stuff to focus on for sure, but none more important than that surely.

Notwithstanding the hue and cry in the UK press there's an argument that the Human Rights Convention/Act are a strong democratic tool

The Human Rights Act is a gift to criminals and scumbags, which we managed without until 1998 and we can manage without again.

The act allows Government to be called to account before the UK courts.

Government being subject to the law rather than the opposite goes back to the 13th century, perhaps further. We didn't need a 1998 Act of Parliament to do that.