VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - daf

My parents have an 8 year old Polo which has only done 18,000 miles from new. They have been told by the VW dealer that it needs a new timing belt based on it's age. I thought timing belt replacement usually depended on mileage rather than age.

Does it seem reasonable that the belt needs replacing at such a low mileage because of the age of the car?

Many thanks for any advice!

VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - madf

Most requirements are age or mileage related.

the car is eight years old: rubber does deteriorate with age..

Frankly I would get it done asap and get them to check the idlers and tensioners (some were plastic and fell aprt..don't know if it apples to your car tho..)

Having said that, oldest son ran a 12 year old Peugeot 106 for 4 years (it had 50k miles on it at the end) and I inspected the belt and it was as new.!

But check the price first. Anything over £350 is exorbitant, in my view..

VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - csgmart

Yep - agree with the response above.

Rubber can go hard with age and if the belt breaks you may as well scrap the car. For only a few hundred quid it'll give you peace of mind and keep the car on the road for another good few years to come.

VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - daveyjp
And get the water pump changed at the same time.
VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - The-Mechanic

As has been said, the schedule for the belt replacement is a distance OR time one. From memory, the recommended schedule for these engines is 80k or 4 years so it's more than due a new one given the age of the car. From experience, the best action is to get a full timing belt kit and also coolant pump fitted from a reputable manufacturer, it doesn't have to be genuine VW parts, but if they are, all the better.

Edited by The-Mechanic on 10/11/2013 at 22:31

VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - Big John

Should be done every 4 years. Best to change the waterpump/coolant at the same time. This is long overdue.

If this is the 1.4 16v then it has two belts and rubbish plastic pulleys and would be long long overdue...

VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - Collos25

I very much doubt that even at this age there is any actual rubber in the belt the ones made at present are purely man made mate.rials

VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - daf

Many thanks for all the replies, extremely helpful, looks like it does need doing!

VW Polo 1.4 - Timing belt - csgmart

I very much doubt that even at this age there is any actual rubber in the belt the ones made at present are purely man made mate.rials

Quite so, but whatever they are made of the point is the belt needs changing ASAP.