Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - Duca

Hi there,

In November last year I bought a used Chevrolet with only 5000 miles on the clock.

The car looked immaculate, had an RAC report provided by the garage and all seemed in order. So far we had to change the solenoid in the gear box (it's an automatic) and the top plates in the front suspensions. All was replaced under waranty by the garage that sold me the car.

Had the MOT done last week (new style certificate) and I discovered that the last MOT reading before the one showing 5000 miles was in fact 28.000!

I confronted the Garage with this fact and after a search they sustain that has been a mistake of recording the mileage by the previous garage were the 28000miles MOT was recorded. They have been in touch with them and assured me that a letter will be produced stating the mistake and the real mileage at the time.

I'm not entirely convinced of this story, and even if a letter is produced what would be it's value at the time of reselling the car.

Any advice on how shall I takle this problem?

Regards

PS. The car has now 27.500 miles. If the alleged clocking has really happened the real mileage coule be in excess of 60.000!

Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - veryoldbear

If she really has got that sort of mileage, a cambelt change could be needed, just to add to your woes ...

Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - Andrew-T

If this car had a previous MoT it must be 4 or more years old now, so a mileage of 5000 would seem suspiciously low for a car of this kind? I'm surprised any scammer would think reducing the mileage that far was credible. And wear would be noticeable on things like windscreen and pedals - was it?

Unless it has had a new fascia unit?

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/11/2013 at 17:46

Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - Palcouk

The Dealer owes you the difference in value between what you paid and the cost expected with 28k miles.

Not withstanding the fact they broke the law by selling a clocked vehicle. The dealer should have been in possession of the origonal MOT

Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - tony g
Hi ,most car clocking is done by disreputable dealers after they buy a car from auction .

So it's worth checking the mileage with the previous owner .You could also check with Chevrolet uk ,customer services ,
to see if they have done any warranty work on the car and what the mileage was ,it may also be that they hold centralised servicing records as do BMW and mercedes .

It's not that unusual to find mot testers entering incorrect mileages ,I had it done on one of my cars last week ,although they gave me a replacement receipt /certificate .The incorrect mileage still shows on the VOSA website .
Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - pd

The first thing is to establish whether the car is indeed clocked or not. It is not impossible that the MOT garage entered 28000 when it had, for example, done 2800.

To find this out you can look at the complete MOT history, any servicing records etc.

Clocking a 28000 miles car back to 5000 is an unusual pattern. It is more usual to clock a car which has done, say, 140k back to 80k.

I would dispure that the majority of clocking is done by dealers who buy from auction. Some is, yes, but in actual fact the favourite place these days is by people leasing or PCP'ing cars on limited mileage contracts. There is a big difference between a lease at 10k a year than 25k so there is a very big incentive to take a 75k mile car back to 30k come end of lease time.

Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - tony g
(I would dispure that the majority of clocking is done by dealers who buy from auction. Some is, yes, but in actual fact the favourite place these days is by people leasing or PCP'ing cars on limited mileage contracts. There is a big difference between a lease at 10k a year than 25k so there is a very big incentive to take a 75k mile car back to 30k come end of lease time.)

If you take a ride down to any large auction house ,you will find individuals in the car park willing to (adjust ) the mileage on any car for £100 ,it's very common and very profitable for any dealer who is willing to take the risk .

The curious thing is that it's not illegal to clock a car , however it is illegal to offer a car for sale knowing that the mileage is incorrect .
I don't know of a case ,but it may be that a leasing company could bring a case of fraud against a company or individual who clocked a car to avoid excess mileage charges .

With regard to leasing ,the BVRLA rules ,insist on a car that's out on a lease ,to be serviced to the manufacturers specification ,the proof of that would be invoices and or a stamped service book ,they also charge for any additional wear ,and would identify any car that's been substantially clocked .

From experience ,it's mainly dealers that clock cars ,to retail to naive buyers .

Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - pd
With regard to leasing ,the BVRLA rules ,insist on a car that's out on a lease ,to be serviced to the manufacturers specification ,the proof of that would be invoices and or a stamped service book ,they also charge for any additional wear ,and would identify any car that's been substantially clocked . From experience ,it's mainly dealers that clock cars ,to retail to naive buyers .

And that is another reason to clock them. Many cars do not need their first service until 2 years or 20k miles.

Get car on 2 year / 20k lease - do 60k in it, clock it to 19k and service it the week before you hand it back. All the paperwork stacks up. It happens a lot - I know of some companies with several cars who do it to all of them (allegedly!).

Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - Skezza

I would demand a free cambelt change and the difference between the vehicles value with 28k and 5k.

Chevrolet Aveo - I have been sold a clocked Chevrolet - Collos25

I would agree with Tony its very common to clock a lease car in the UK its rife here in Germany I could not believe how easy it was and in the UK there is no Mot till its 3 years old and lot of lease cars never see an agents they are serviced at Kwik Fit or the likes.