Ford Focus ST - ford focus st ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT !!!!! - mcandrew92

please help ! i bought a second hand ford focus ST 2.5 2006 plate from a ford dealer last week , it only has 61kmiles , just had a full major service, how ever yesterday i got in my car started it ... let it warm up for about 5-10 mins , drove about 1-1.5 mile (normal driving not putting my foot down) i parked up and let it cool down for 2 minutes and removed key , got out my car and locked it as normal, after half an hour i returned to my car , unlocked , opened , started to see ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT & ACCELERATION REDUCED however there is not lights on the dash board it just says that message where my mileage is ? the AA have come out and cant read any fault codes because there is no engine management light on nor MIL (malfuction indication light) the car starts fine and DOES drive however it is in limp mode ? PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!! THANKS

jordan

Ford Focus ST - ford focus st ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT !!!!! - skidpan

You have bought from a dealer and thus it is the dealers job to sort the problem. You says its drivable, just drive it there and let them sort it.

Why did you let it warm up before driving, totally unnessary, just wastes fuel and probably causes more harm than good. As to letting it idle after driving that is only necessary if you have been thrashing the car immediately before stopping, in normal driving again its totally unnecessary.

You have bought from a dealer and thus it is the dealers job to sort the problem. You says its drivable, just drive it there and let them sort it.

Why did you let it warm up before driving, totally unnessary, just wastes fuel and probably causes more harm than good. As to letting it idle after driving that is only necessary if you have been thrashing the car immediately before stopping, in normal driving again its totally unnecessary.

thanks for your reply
i was advised to always let the car warm up properly from a cold start to prevent damaging the turbo , i live in manchester and i bought the car from bradford, dont want to risk driving it that far ? also been intouch with the guy who sold it me, his reply 'its not my problem now all i do is sell the cars' i did get a 3 month warrenty with it but there not interested !!

Did you buy it from a Ford Dealer or not. You have changed your story from your first post to your subsequent reply to my message. If you expect to get help please ensure you tell the correct story and don't keep changing it.

If it was a Ford dealer you should get them to repair it, Bradford or wherever. If its a back street garage in Bradford you probably have more chance of getting knighted than getting it fixed.

Whoever told you to warm it up to prevent damaging the turbo is a total idiot or you have missunderstood them. I have been driving turbo cars (diesel and petrol) for almost 20 years, never let one warm up at idle and never had a problem. Having said that I don't give them the beans until they are properly warmed through normal driving.

I would think that the car had problems before you bought it and the back stret garage knew all about them.

sorry it must of come accross wrong , i bought the car from polar ford in bradford and i ment the guy who sold me the car who works at polar ford in bradford lol. Surley driving it on the motorway for 40 miles with that warning message on and it being in limp mode wouldnt do it any good ? what could the problem be?

Ford Focus ST - ford focus st ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT !!!!! - galileo

You say the warning light came on when you started it after driving 1 - 1.5 miles. So you were only 1.5 miles from the dealer you'd bought it from. Why didn't you take it straight back and reject it? Ignore the salesman who fobbed you off, speak to the dealer principal and Trading Standards if you get nowhere with him.

also been intouch with the guy who sold it me, his reply 'its not my problem now all i do is sell the cars' i did get a 3 month warrenty with it but there not interested !!

What a load of complete nonsense. If the saleman you bought it from won't help speak to his manager or the dealer principal. By law they have to fix it or give you a refund.

As gelileo said, you drove it home with the light on, simply drive it back with it on.

no mate i said , i bought the car last week , this problem happened yesterday ! and will do , ive took it into another ford garage near me just now , they are going to look at it tomorrow £90 diagnostics test already !!

ive took it into another ford garage near me just now , they are going to look at it tomorrow £90 diagnostics test already !!

If you take it to another garage that is your decision and the seller does not have to refund you your monies. You MUST give the seller the opportunity to fix the car before letting anyone else loose on it.

If you have made arrangements already why ask for advice.

i spoke to his manager and explained the situation, he said he was going to ring a ford garage near me and try help me out, he rang me back saying to take it to mylocal one. i litterally just took it about 30 mins ago and im not getting help !!! i need to know what it could be !!!, just gettin spoke to like a idiot off some people !! not all !!

Ford Focus ST - ford focus st ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT !!!!! - FP

Even if the original dealer has arranged for you to take the car elsewhere, you really need to deal with the place you bought it from. You should not have had to part with £90, which I assume from your post you have now paid. I get the feeling you are being fobbed off and suggest you get the car back to where it came from a.s.a.p., whatever the other dealer says is the problem.

As for hoping we can diagnose what's wrong - I think that's unrealistic. That can be done only by someone with the car in front of them, and possibly only with some special equipment. However, it seems suspicious to me that an engine fault is indicated, but there are no codes to be read. Sounds to me as if someone has been tinkering with the car's management system.

Unless there's a simple remedy, I'd be looking for my money back.

Edited by FP on 04/11/2013 at 17:24

Even if the original dealer has arranged for you to take the car elsewhere, you really need to deal with the place you bought it from. You should not have had to part with £90, which I assume from your post you have now paid. I get the feeling you are being fobbed off and suggest you get the car back to where it came from a.s.a.p., whatever the other dealer says is the problem.

As for hoping we can diagnose what's wrong - I think that's unrealistic. That can be done only by someone with the car in front of them, and possibly only with some special equipment. However, it seems suspicious to me that an engine fault is indicated, but there are no codes to be read. Sounds to me as if someone has been tinkering with the car's management system.

Unless there's a simple remedy, I'd be looking for my money back.

cheers mate , i will just have to wait to see what the diagnostics sasy tomorrow and i will let you know ! anyone else has any ideaswhat it could be let me know !!! (so i can be prepared)

thanks

Had quick report over phone from ford , briefly looking at it already (not a proper full check. This will take place tomorrow)
But for now we have :
Needs new wiper blades lol
Needs new battery
Front and rear brake discs and pads are nakerd
Accelerator sensor and full accelerator unit needed
throttle body had crack init and needs replacing because that's nakerd !
Also ECU needs an update (they said this should of been done of the service ford claimed to have done 2 weeks ago) !!!
Still withouth a courtesy car!! Car stands me at £7k and been told that the warranty may not cover this !! FUMING is not the word. They basically have sold me a car that is not fit for purpose and is completely nakerd !

£7000 for a 7 year old Focus?? And went all the way to Bradford to buy it? There must be better cars local to you for £7K, from reputable dealers.

It seems to me you have been well and truly ripped off, if bought from a franchised Ford dealer contact Ford with details (and Trading Standards).

This post reads like spam to me.

Between 15.41 and 17.07 the OP had time to speak to Polar in Bradford and they arranged for the OP to take the car to a local dealer 30 minutes away. So that time on the phone and 30 minutes each way, not bad for 86 minutes between posts when the OP was on the road for 60 minutes.

What Ford Dealer works at 9.00 pm and phones customers with a list of faults.

If you had bought a car from Polar Ford you would take it back, they are a large Ford Franchise with dozens of outlets, they don't just have a garage in Bradford. They have a site in Stockport (Manchester thus close to you) so why would not use them.

£7000 is top book for a 2006 Focus ST with 63,000 miles. Bought from a Ford dealer it should be absolutely spot on.

Another poster with time to write a story.

Edited by skidpan on 06/11/2013 at 09:17

"This post reads like spam to me."

Spam?

Should begin "Once upon a time" ?

shut up waffling on !
I went to Stockport garage for your information and the car was in Bradford ! that's why I went to Bradford! the guy at Stockport told me the car was £6300 and when I got to Bradford it was £6995 ! Don't ask !!!!
I paid top whack for peace of mind , could of got one about £1200 cheaper from local garage but preferred getting one from ford (back street dealers will clock cars etc) (not all !!!) I'm in the process of trying to get my money back ! as the problem has happened AGAIN !!! but there telling me to bring it back Bradford ... 'What whilst it's in limp mode' ??? so stupid these people !!!!
Ford Focus ST - ford focus st ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT !!!!! - craig-pd130

You're dealing with a bunch of sharks at the dealer - stick to your guns and insist you get a complete refund.

If neither dealer will sort it, take it further up the Polar Ford management chain. Good luck.

This thread is in danger of degenerating (as others have done) into pointless, dismissive comments. For example, labelling what someone has posted as "spam" (which means unwanted advertising, as far as I know) or "Another poster with time to write a story" (presumably meaning an untrue story) or "Should begin 'Once upon a time'" are guaranteed to put off other people from posting.

The OP may have been, in your opinion, naive, unwise or whatever, but he came on here for advice and I don't believe for one moment he has made his story up.

I am as ready as the next guy to criticise when it's deserved, but just shutting up would be good advice for some.

And I wouldn't be surprised if I get an earful myself.

The OP came on with a story which when you look at several aspects and at the time line as this story developed simply does not make logical reading.

For starters I cannot believe there are no high quality Focus ST's for sale in Manchester at Ford dealers.

Secondly no Ford dealer rings you up at 9.00 PM.

I could go on but he has been given good advice and then made the story look implausible by his later posts.

If the dealer says drive it back to Bradford drive it back. If it blows up its their problem and they will have to recover it. He would only be doing what he was told to.

For starters I cannot believe there are no high quality Focus ST's for sale in Manchester at Ford dealers.

Just checked on Autotrader for Focus ST's between £6000 and £7500, found 11 within a 15 mile radius of Manchester City Centre. None are at Ford dealers but with cars of this age and price I would not expect Ford Dealers to even stock them.

Just checked on Autotrader for Focus ST's between £6000 and £7500, found 11 within a 15 mile radius of Manchester City Centre. None are at Ford dealers but with cars of this age and price I would not expect Ford Dealers to even stock them.

exactly none are at ford dealers , as I said before I chose to go out of the way and buy one from a ford dealer to receive peace of mind especially with a car like the ST (if anything goes wrong it could be pricey!) yes also I did choose to pay extra thinking that it would be in the best condition it could possibly be in as you would expect buying from main dealer ! They did say it's the first second had ST they have retailed in 2 years ! they have only retailed this one because of low mileage and supposedly 'excellent condition' I have contacted the main manager and he came across furious with what's happened and insist he will get this problem sorted tomorrow :-)
Ford Focus ST - ford focus st ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT !!!!! - thunderbird

Some years ago a work colleague bought a year old Audi from the local main dealer. Started having minor problems immediately and although the car was supposed to be under warranty the salesman would not fix the car. Eventually turned out the car had been bought from the auctions privately by the salesman and sold off the the forecourt, nothing to do with the garage. There were weeks of arguement as to who was to blame but eventually the garage swapped the car for a similar one and sacked the salesman. We often wondered who paid for it eventually.

Wonder if this (or something similar) has happened in this instance.

Ford Focus ST - ford focus st ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT !!!!! - slkfanboy

Needs new wiper blades lol
Needs new battery -- not too bad
Front and rear brake discs and pads are nakerd - - costly and should have been picked up at service.
Accelerator sensor and full accelerator unit needed -- linked to below
throttle body had crack init and needs replacing because that's nakerd -- Was subject to a recall , so ford should do it for free seen many posts about this one
Also ECU needs an update (they said this should of been done of the service ford claimed to have done 2 weeks ago) !!!

Your point being...?

Ford Focus ST - ford focus st ENGINE SYSTEM FAULT !!!!! - Ben 10

If the OP is genuine, then take it back to Bradford and create a stink in the showroom. With trading standards on speed dial. They have rules to abide by.

Others have picked holes in your story. And I have one. You started in your OP that the AA were called out. He couldn't do anything, so why didn't you get them to tow you to the Ford dealership as you were afraid to travel yourself in limp mode?

If the OP is genuine, then take it back to Bradford and create a stink in the showroom. With trading standards on speed dial. They have rules to abide by.

Others have picked holes in your story. And I have one. You started in your OP that the AA were called out. He couldn't do anything, so why didn't you get them to tow you to the Ford dealership as you were afraid to travel yourself in limp mode?

The AA would only tow me to the nearest ford garage (which sadly wasn't the one I bought it from) as the Warrenty was 'garage of sale only' HOWEVER when I went abit crazy on the phone they managed to arrange for my local ford garage to have a look/diagnose problem and report back to them... So in the end it could of been towed to my local garage after all that messing around , Bradford polar ford currently have my ST , they drove down to me in a courtesy car and simply just changed over (this was after I spoke to the main manager of all the polar fords and told him how angry I was with what had happened and how I was treated) so as for now they havnt contacted me to tell me what the problem is ! and give me a rubbish focus 1.6 diesel 95 bhp!! Not even got alloys , nearly cried when I seen it lol :-(

and give me a rubbish focus 1.6 diesel 95 bhp!! Not even got alloys , nearly cried when I seen it lol :-(

No such thing as a Ford Focus diesel with 95 bhp. But if they are really trying to sort your car now why complain, at least you are mobile now.

and give me a rubbish focus 1.6 diesel 95 bhp!! Not even got alloys , nearly cried when I seen it lol :-(

No such thing as a Ford Focus diesel with 95 bhp. But if they are really trying to sort your car now why complain, at least you are mobile now.

there clearly is :s , well 93.9 bhp to be precise but it's classed as 95bhp

there clearly is :s , well 93.9 bhp to be precise but it's classed as 95bhp

There is in the current spec but there wasn't in the previous models. So I must assume then they have loaned you a brand new car and yet you still moan about them.

Totally unbeliveable.

Hope they read this forum and treat you well.

" I must assume then they have loaned you a brand new car and yet you still moan about them.

Totally unbeliveable."

Give the guy a break, for pete's sake! Presumably you saw the smiley, the exclamation marks and the "lol"?

"...and give me a rubbish focus 1.6 diesel 95 bhp!! Not even got alloys , nearly cried when I seen it lol :-("

You've already shown your ignorance, Skidpan.

"No such thing as a Ford Focus diesel with 95 bhp." But...

"There is in the current spec but there wasn't in the previous models."

And you still have a go at him.

Edited by FP on 14/11/2013 at 19:44

Yeh I am moaning , I like powerful cars that's why I bought a fairly powerful ST!! that's why I'm moaning about having a none powerful 1.6 diesel! I'm happy they have give me a courtesy car ... I never said I wasn't (like your making out) I said I wasn't happy with what it was !
I never said I wasn't (like your making out) I said I wasn't happy with what it was !

You clearly said above:

"and give me a rubbish focus 1.6 diesel 95 bhp!! Not even got alloys , nearly cried when I seen it lol :-("

If that isn't moaning what is.

"You clearly said above:

"and give me a rubbish focus 1.6 diesel 95 bhp!! Not even got alloys , nearly cried when I seen it lol :-("

If that isn't moaning what is."

What do you think the exclamation marks, the smiley and "lol" mean? They mean the writer is putting his tongue in his cheek.

This is getting to be hard work! I don't know why I bother, to be honest.

This is getting to be hard work! I don't know why I bother, to be honest.

Simple solution, don't bother in future.

"Simple solution, don't bother in future."

If you're implying that it's a waste of time to point out where you're out of line and what other people's posts actually mean, then you're probably right.

However, I do wonder whether other readers of the forum might take what you put seriously. But there I go again - I probably shouldn't bother with that either.

If you're implying that it's a waste of time to point out where you're out of line and what other people's posts actually mean, then you're probably right.

However, I do wonder whether other readers of the forum might take what you put seriously. But there I go again - I probably shouldn't bother with that either.

"Out of line", what are you talking about. Due to the OP's total lack of info on most of his posts I made an incorrect assumption, as soon as the age of the loan car was pointed out I corrected my assumption.

But I expect you never make an error, you must be absolutely perfect in every respect and all your posts contain invaluable info.

"But I expect you never make an error, you must be absolutely perfect in every respect and all your posts contain invaluable info."

I have never said nor implied any of those things. And why suddenly switch the argument into a personal attack?

In case we have lost sight of why I've criticised some of your posts - it's the fact that you treat other posters with uncalled-for harshness. Not that you're alone - it's a problem that seems to afflict this forum more and more just recently.

I've frequented the BR for many years now and I guess (taking the long view) it's one of those things, but it doesn't make any more palatable. People often seem to give the impression on the internet of being far more intolerant, rude and unpleasant than they would be in real life. Something to do with the anonymity, I suppose.

You've already shown your ignorance, Skidpan.

"No such thing as a Ford Focus diesel with 95 bhp."

I assumed that the garage had loaned the OP a car of similar age to the ST since he was moaning about it. The OP never made it clear it was a brand new car, if he had I would not have made the comment. I have never heard anyone moaning about being loaned a brand new car in place of a 7 year old one before.

The OP has never provided the full facts so all the people who have replied have have to guess what he has meant in many cases. Inevitable you guess wrong sometimes and in this case I guessed wrong. Once he had put up the full facts I accepeted that there was a 95 PS version.