Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - TheDoc
Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an A3 but sadly my budget is not all that much - £4k - £5k. I've done some looing on all the classified ad sites and come across two that have really tickled my

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20130928901...p - This one has a lot of miles (123k) but it looks the business and seems to have full service

www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/bargain-200...t - this one looks nice and seems pretty cheap, but I'm not sure if it's got service history

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to buying cars so could you give me an opinion on those cars and what I should be looking for?

I've emailed both of the above, asking what work the car has had done (I.e Cambelt changed) what else should I be asking?

Many thanks
Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - Cyd

well, the first one has less than 2 months MoT, whilst the second has 10 months.

the second one has illegally tinted front side windows (boy racer?). make sure the tint can be removed, you could pick up a ticket for that and possibly invalidate your insurance in case of an accident.

the second one is a private sale so you can get to quiz the owner about work / economy / reliability / problems etc etc.

I'd go to see the second one first.

Bose sound and heated seats well worth having (I have both in my Saab 9-3)

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - artill

probably not the answer you want, but i wouldnt buy either.

The first, with plenty of miles and a DSG looks expensive to keep. Do you have a large reserve of cash to fix it?

The second looks suspect to me. Dark tints, repaired damage (but no close up photos), missing rear wiper. (doesnt point towards a simpathetic current or previous owner).

If you have £4k to spend i would keep back at least £500 to fix it (hopefully you wont need it) and buy something japanese. probably petrol (which for the same money will be lower mileage and newer).

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - iFocus

I too wouldn't buy either!

Audis are overrated and over priced for what they are.

Do you really need a diesel? Do you do enough miles? If not look at a petrol, if you want a VAG look at a Golf or even an Octavia, after all they're Some Kind Of Downmarket Audi (S.K.O.D.A.) after all. ;-)

I personally would go for something Japanese too with your budget, have a look at a 2006+ Civic etc.

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - daveyK_UK

As per other forum user's advice, Audi's out of warranty are best avoided

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - A3 A4

My OH has a 53 plate 1.6FSi Sport.

OK its not a diesel but it has been failry reliable in its 76k, a new back box, gear selector linkage (all under warranty) and a temperature sensor has been all that has failed.

However at ten years the Audi badge is sadly lacking its presitge image - the drivers seat is wearing badly on its bolster, all the switches on the drivers door have the soft touch plastic lifting and bubling, the bonnet is discolouring, but worst of all the driver door has corroded and been repaired three times around the bolt that mounts the rubber trims and is rusting again as is the passenger door now.

Look for corrosion on the doors also on the leading edge as the heavy doors drop and rub on the front wing, again causing corrosion.

Also not an expert on the 2.0TDI, but I think the early versions as fitted to the early Mk2 A3s are prone to oil pump problems, much preferable are the 1.9Tdi's

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - TheDoc

Thanks very much for all your replies,

It's obviously not what I wanted to hear but it's better to hear it before I had taken the plunge.

It just seemed to me that the second one I posted was on the market for a lot lower than the going value (Around 1k cheaper than similar age/mileage cars). Would I still be foolish in going for this even if they provided a full service history showing regular maintence and all the parts (cam belts, pumps etc) had been changed? And i'd done a full HPI check to ensure it hadnt had a major accident as they've stated there was some damage to the rear?

My daily commute is about to be upped to a 40 mile round trip a day, this was my reason to looking to getting a diesel. Would I still be better off getting a petrol? I'm obvioulsy concerened about MPG and looking to get something thats pretty economical.

Thanks again.

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - skidpan

It just seemed to me that the second one I posted was on the market for a lot lower than the going value (Around 1k cheaper than similar age/mileage cars).

Think about it, cars (and other items) are usually cheap for a reason, that reason is normally there is a large issue making them difficult (or impossible) to sell at the correct price.

At the money you are wanting to pay there are far better cars available than knack3red Audis. Look about with a more open mind, What is better, driving a reliable car or sitting at the roadside in a dead Audi.

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - Skezza

I do a 80 mile round trip, and since switching to a diesel I've saved a lot of money but you need to drive economically. It's not just a silver bullet. I personally wouldn't go for either of these.

No offence fella, but do you necessarily need an Audi A3? What's wrong with something like a Passat or Bora? Same engine, almost the same car minus a few optional extras. Still very nice motors, and super reliable, but you'll find Bora's and Passat's of a similar age for much less cost-wise and perhaps even less miles.

In fact, there's a Passat near me, 2007 plate with about 90k miles. Good condition and all the documents to boot. They want £4,000. Consider you're getting a newer car, in better condition and lower mileage. I know for a fact that's the case because I checked it out myself ;-)

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - artill

Just a little maths for you. Assuming you get 50 mpg from diesel and 40 mpg from petrol, and using currentish fuel prices i think the difference in 40 miles of motoring is about 93p a day.

In your shoes i wouldnt touch a diesel, given you will get a much newer and lower mileage petrol for the money.

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - Bobbin Threadbare

I do about 55 miles a day round trip and I run a petrol car. When I did 120 miles p/day round trip I ran a petrol. I couldn't afford a decent diesel at my budget then and now, I don't really think I'd make massive savings on fuel and tax which would offset any repairs. Also my car is really fun to drive..!

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - TR7

Just a little maths for you. Assuming you get 50 mpg from diesel and 40 mpg from petrol, and using currentish fuel prices i think the difference in 40 miles of motoring is about 93p a day.

In your shoes i wouldnt touch a diesel, given you will get a much newer and lower mileage petrol for the money.

I agree. I have a car allowance and do up to 40k miles a year. Unless you are buying a brand new diesel you don't know how it's been driven previously. I've had a second hand Saab 93 1.9tdi nothing but trouble, a 2008 Focus 1.6tdci nightmare and an i30 1.6 diesel great engine but car not very relaxing on long journeys. So after taking HJ's advice I am running a 1.8 2010 petrol Avensis. It's getting about 38mpg compared to 50mpg in the i30 but petrol is cheaper so the difference isn't massive.
Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - dieseldogg

40,000 per year

Spend 20k on a brand new VW group diesel.

Do sums over 5 years = 200,000 miles

At 50mpg (min realistic fig) =4000 gall at £6.25 = £25,000 on fuel

petrol at 40mpg (max realistic fig) = 5000 gall at say £6.00=£30,000 on fuel

A very conservative £1000.00 saved per year with a more valuable car to sell on.

And assuming mostly motorway driving car should be good for 250,000 plus miles with any reasonable servicing and care.

no DPF worries for sure

marcus

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - Andrew-T

"Unless you are buying a brand new diesel you don't know how it's been driven previously."

It shouldn't have been. :-)

What sort of advice is that? Is it more obvious with a petrol engine? Why?

And how many of us do 40,000 a year? Maybe only the HGV drivers?

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/11/2013 at 23:24

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - TR7

"Unless you are buying a brand new diesel you don't know how it's been driven previously."

It shouldn't have been. :-)

What sort of advice is that? Is it more obvious with a petrol engine? Why?

And how many of us do 40,000 a year? Maybe only the HGV drivers?

It means if you are buying a 2-3 year old diesel you don't know if its been used for short journeys and not long enough to regenerate the dpf on a regular basis. Plenty of people drive high mileages per annum. I can't afford a new car so the other post about buying a brand new diesel doesn't apply to me or the original poster. If you want advice I'd say buy neither car both look dodgy.
Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - 72 dudes

Both look nice, both could well be money pits. Avoid.

The second add says "New car arriving forces sale" D'oh! What a great reason.

If you are really set on an A3 have a look around for a petrol 1.8 turbo

Edited by 72 dudes on 05/11/2013 at 09:07

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - Andrew-T

It means if you are buying a 2-3 year old diesel you don't know if its been used for short journeys and not long enough to regenerate the dpf on a regular basis. Plenty of people drive high mileages per annum. I can't afford a new car so the other post about buying a brand new diesel doesn't apply to me or the original poster. If you want advice I'd say buy neither car both look dodgy.

I agree with all this. But as I said before, we are discussing high-mileage cars. It's not easy to clock up high miles by doing only short trips?

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - skidpan

I love diesels, had 6 of them since the mid 90's. Great to drive with loads of torque, great economy.

My last diesel was a BMW 1 series, written on here before that over 5 1/2 years and only 37000 miles I saved almost £3000 in fuel, depreciation, RFL even after the initial higher purchase price is considered. £3000 is a saving well worth having.

Wifes Kia Ceed, 3 years old, 30,000 miles so far, we estimate we have saved approx. £1700 pounds so far when fuel costs, depreciation, RFL are considered (even taking into acount the higher purchase price).

But would I buy a second hand older diesel, no way. When they go wrong they cost a fortune and the fact they are giving problems is why most end up on the market. Another reason is many have been missfueled at some time in the dark past.

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - gordonbennet
But would I buy a second hand older diesel, no way. When they go wrong they cost a fortune and the fact they are giving problems is why most end up on the market. Another reason is many have been missfueled at some time in the dark past.

Agreed when it comes to the more recent fragile and increasingly complicated offerings, if i was looking i'd still happily buy mechanically pumped old Diesels if the rest of the cars condition was good enough.

They didn't need pampering or to be driven to nowhere in order for the exhaust trap to cleanse itself...which it might do or might not, or it might start doing so 3 miles before you stop after driving 100 miles to nowhere in particular to enable regen, car doesn't tell you whats going on so how are you to judge.

Those proper Diesels went on for years if given some decent fresh oil regularly and a clean oil and air filter.

The modern Diesel scene has become a very unfunny joke, with eye watering costs when the joke flops.

I've had Diesels since the early 80's, but don't any more and i see no reason to resume unless i plump for an old Landcruiser with a tractor engine, LPG'd petrols for me now and forseeable with plug in Toyota Hybrid another possibility when Dick Turpin decides to raise some more dosh and its LPGs turn to get hammered.

The way things are going i'll end up on a bike, the bus or taxis yet, and Dick Turpin will get even less of my hard earned than he does now.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/11/2013 at 11:59

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - Chris79
I'm going to stick my neck out and actually stick up for diesel. Yes you can have problems I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise however diesel can make economic sense. You need to drive it correctly I.e. Not repeated short runs. Thus avoiding dpf problems. You need to pick a car that has been well serviced in accordance with manufacturers instructions, preferably over serviced if possible.

I use a 07 corsa diesel to commute and gave done for the last two years. I do 100 miles each time I go to work and so far I estimate I have saved about 2000 pounds on fuel. My last brim to brim calculation gave me an average of 56.6mpg.

Unless you compare it to the new petrols such as the citigo etc generally petrols are not going to give you that sort of economy.

I do dread the day the dmf goes and I get a bill for 1000 pounds but I'm already 2k up on fuel. There is a compelling case for some people to stick with petrol, however diesels are not the horror story some people would have you believe. If they were all that bad how come the majority of taxis are still diesel?

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - bathtub tom

I'll quote the opposite position.

I ran diesels for ten years, due to kids at university a hundred-odd miles in opposite direction from home.

Any savings were wiped out when a Focus TDDI 'lunched' its injector pump. £1300 total bill, including diagnosis, tow to garage, replacement pump and fitting costs, plus 'software' charges for getting the software of the ECU to talk to the pump!

I'll now not consider anything other than a petrol - although I can see the logic of LPG/CNG, I don't do enough miles.

Audi A3 - Buying a high mileage A3 - advice needed - Chris79
Well you must take things as you find them. If I had a 1300 bill I wouldn't be to happy. That said I'm an intrigued. If you ran diesels for 10 years doing significant mileage and then wiped out your savings on fuel with a 1300 bill you can't have been getting very good mpg. What do you estimate the focus was giving you?

I think the issue with diesels in some cases is they have been mis sold. People get hooked up on the tax issue and perceived economy. The salesman is only to happy to sell you a car that costs more initially than a petrol and then we end up with people driving diesels round on the school run and crying when the dpf chokes up.