HID light's and new M.O.T rules - meltonlad

now that the new M.O.T rules are in force has anybody had any problems with having HID's fitted and failing the m.o.t because of them ?

I read up about the new rule about car's having non standard hid's fitted and that would result in a fail unless also fitted with headlight washer's and auto levellers. my car is fitted with a 6000k H7R kit and i've been told that being the H7R that it doesnt mess with the light pattern as much as it would if it was the H7 !

so have you had your car pass with hid's fitted that are non standard and without the washer's and leveller's ??

thanks in advance

HID light's and new M.O.T rules - Cyd

Aftermarket HID kits are not E marked and so are not approved for road use. Thus they are an illegal fit.

Even if your car had self leveling suspension and washers fitted, these kits would still be an illegal fit.

If such a car were to pass an MoT, then most likely the tester failed to spot the aftermarket kit (or didn't want the hassle).

HID light's and new M.O.T rules - pd

They will pass if the beam pattern is correct.

Levelling devices and washers only have to work if fitted.

There is no test for the E-Mark on bulbs, HID or otherwise, during an MOT test.

HID light's and new M.O.T rules - Hamsafar

I presume H7R is for reflector lamps?

The freeform reflector lamps have always produced terrible results with retrofitted HIDs, as opposed to ellipsoidal projector headlamps which are usually as good as OE.

Did you bulbs have a black or silver band around them? If so, this might help by shortening the arc to H7 standard.

MOT testers are supposed to check the source of light matches that of the lamp, but in practice, this is all but impossible, and their manual says to err on the side of assuming it's OK.
Don't worry about E marks and they are not required for the MOT and the HID kits are usually made form standard E-marked electronic parts in any case.

HID light's and new M.O.T rules - BigJohnD

In the Department for Transport's (DfT) view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps.

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20120606172804/http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/dft-information-sheets/aftermarket-hid-headlamps.pdf

HID light's and new M.O.T rules - coopshere
Well BigJohn that seems clear, if only this was enforced we would all be happy and safer when confronted with these inconsiderate owners at night.
HID light's and new M.O.T rules - Hamsafar

But with what instrument can they enforce "general guidlines" and "in our views"?
If they want to ban them, they need to explicitly ammend an Act.

I myself would just prefer the POLICE to pay more attention to all lighting defects, leave the HID that is a good aim with no glare over the halogen that's pointing in the face of others, and I wish they would stop the eatern european cars with no beam benders, and the rice burners with blue headlights that scatter coloured light all over the place.

HID light's and new M.O.T rules - coopshere
Agreed Hamsafar. We have EU and UK regulations coming thick and fast but once they have passed Type Approval little is done to enforce them DPFs. Is a typical example.