Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - lilbratz

Hi, please be gentle as my first post.

I brought a Renault Megane Scenic 01 with 1 months engine and gear box warranty

13 days later, and 210 miles and the cambelt snaps.

I have spoken to Trading Standards who advised under Sale of goods Act I should contact the dealer and state that the car was not fit for a reasonable length of time and I am seeking a full refund.

The dealer has come back to me offering that I return the car to the garage (55 miles away) they will inspect the car and repair it. I should pay for parts and they will cover labour. Alternatively I can choose another car from the forecourt to the value I paid or add additional money to it.

Where do I stand please with this, I cannot afford the £400+ parts costs to repair it and the cars available in our price range are just not suitable for our needs (must have a large car for various reason) and all in that range now are small 3 dr cars.

Not only that but to return the car is a cost of £150 for towing, waiting around with 2 children whilst they inspect, getting home etc.

Any advice please?

Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - focussed

Get a solicitor on the case asap-the dealer needs to be formally reminded of his responsibilites under the Sale of Goods Act because he is actually having a laugh at your expense at the moment.

Go and get a free half hour with a solicitor and pay for him to write a letter to the dealer.

The dealer will then realise that you mean business-anything else is a waste of your time and more of your money.

Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - pd

It is your responsibility to return the car so you're not going to get out of that one.

I don't understand the "there are no other cars in the price range of this size" comment as there must be unless the Megane was below market value in which case you'll struggle to get anywhere legally.

The dealer is at least trying to be reasonable so I'd try and deal with them nicely to start with and negotiate as if you go all legal it will put their backs up and in reality you might not get much more taking them to court and it will take 6 months during which you'll still be out of pocket and with no car.

Swapping it for another car sounds the best option to be honest - can you ask them to loacte you something similar?

Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - focussed

Reasonable? Could you please explain to all of us how and why you think the dealer is being reasonable?

The dealer sold the customer the car, it went pop in 13 days and they now want the customer to pay £400 for the parts to put it right? That's reasonable?

What a strange world you inhabit.

Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - pd

Reasonable? Could you please explain to all of us how and why you think the dealer is being reasonable?

The dealer sold the customer the car, it went pop in 13 days and they now want the customer to pay £400 for the parts to put it right? That's reasonable?

What a strange world you inhabit.

My point is that at least the dealer is talking and seems interested in a solution - the best of which would be to swap the car. I'm not saying the current offer is necessarily a good one but it is a starting point.

To be frank, if the dealer simply put the 'phone down on the OP there isn't much they could do about it. Yes, they could go to court. But they've already said they haven't the money so probably couldn't do that and will either leave them with no car for 6-12 months whilst it all happens or they'll have to pay for the whole repair and then hope to get some money back. It'll take 6-12 months, involve a lot of time, upfront costs, time off work, and then even if they do win (not 100% certain on a 12 year old Megane - the court will push for a compromise via mediation) they have to get the money. Which may take years.

We don't know if the "warranty" is in writing or excludes the cambelt (many do).

Old cars go pop I'm afraid, old Renaults in particular. The OP has been unlucky but this is the harsh, horrible truth. Cheap old cars are a big gamble and that's why they're cheap. If the OP can swap it out for something else working then that is a result.

Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - Andrew-T

Where do I stand please with this, I cannot afford the £400+ parts costs to repair it and the cars available in our price range are just not suitable for our needs (must have a large car for various reason) and all in that range now are small 3 dr cars.

Don't know about Meganes, but £400 seems pretty pricey for the cost of parts for a cambelt change. Even allowing for a waterpump - usually changed as well - they shouldn't be much over £100. Labour is usually the main expense. Or has the engine been trashed?

Edited by Andrew-T on 31/10/2013 at 11:18

I'm guessing it needs at least some valves replaced so the head is coming off.

I'd question whether it is really worth fixing on a 01 Megane.

Still, I'd ask the question as to exactly what parts the £400 is buying and at what prices. Ask the dealer for a parts list and cross check the prices. They may well be trying to subsidise the labout cost by bumping up the parts.

Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - Andrew-T

I'm surprised any trader would suggest a price to repair a failed cambelt without assessing the damage. A 12-year-old vehicle will have limited residual value, and repairing (or replacing) a damaged engine may just cost too much.

Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - lilbratz

Just as an update to my original thread. I contacted garage again quoting sale of goods act and my legal right and stated if I didn't hear from them within 48 hours I would start court action without further communication. They came back to me within 2 hours of email receipt and letter offering me a full refund, full repair of car or car from forecourt if I made up money.

We have just returned car and received full refund! Very happy.

Just as an update to my original thread. I contacted garage again quoting sale of goods act and my legal right and stated if I didn't hear from them within 48 hours I would start court action without further communication. They came back to me within 2 hours of email receipt and letter offering me a full refund, full repair of car or car from forecourt if I made up money.

We have just returned car and received full refund! Very happy.

Now that is what I would call reasonable! Well done!

Renault Megane Scenic 01 - Used Car 13 days out of dealer and cam belt snaps - Avant

Good news. If you need that size of car on a limited budget, think about a Toyota Verso. There should be plenty on Autotrader.