astravan 1.7 dti. - astravan 1.7dti. 2003. sudden cut out. - sparky100

Hi. This evening my van cut out at a t-junction and would not start.It turns over ok but will not run. I called breakdown firm and they said it's probally the stop valve on pump or maybe fuel filter clogged. The cambelt was done about 14 months ago and he said it wasn't that.

He sprayed some stuff in the air filter and it almost started but wouldn't run. No warning light's on dashboard come on. Eventually got towed home. Tried to start again at home and and it nearly started. Just wondered if any one has any other views before i start to investigate the problem. Thank's for any info. Sparky 100.

Top Reply

Hi, up-date on Astravan. You guys are brilliant. Excellent forum. Managed to get secondhand EDU, changed over and started first time. Well pleased. Thanks alot. Sparky100.

All Replies

astravan 1.7 dti. - astravan 1.7dti. 2003. sudden cut out. - dieselnut

It could be the stop valve but they are usually reliable & easilly checked. More likely to be air getting into the fuel line if it has no in-tank pump.

Press the manual fuel bulb if it has one until it goes hard then try starting.

Hi dieselnut, i can't seem to find the stop valve on this one, it look's like it is incorperated in the diesel pump. There is no fuel bulb to press, just have to turn engine to prime it. I have checked the connections as best i can for air leaks but it's hard to be certain. Thank's for your reply. Sparky100.

astravan 1.7 dti. - astravan 1.7dti. 2003. sudden cut out. - elekie&a/c doctor

Do you know the engine code?

Hi, the engine is the isuzu one. engine no. 00608444. Is it possible to check the stop valve easily without taking the pump off. I can't think what else it can be to make the engine cut out instantly. Also is this a common fault with astra's. Thank's for any help. Sparky100.

This could be a Y17 dt engine,if it is ,then the problem could very likely be a fault with the diesel pump control module.This is a very common fault.Take a look at the rear of the engine,facing the bulkhead,the module is bolted to the engine block,low down, with a large push in multi-connector.hth

Thank's for that, i'll give it a look if the weather is ok tomorrow. Does this suffer from a bad connection or broken connector. Sparky100.

astravan 1.7 dti. - astravan 1.7dti. 2003. sudden cut out. - mfarrow

I agree whole-heartedly with elecdoc on this - I have two of these 1.7 dti engines (in a Corsa C and an Astra G). Both have suffered the same fate, rather alarming cut-out with no warning.

Common problem under both circumstances was the pump EDU at the back of the engine. It's got a single connector, and is best accessed from underneath, although some one I helped on another forum did manage it from the top, somehow.

The Astra's was replaced by the garage I bought it from, but the Corsa, which packed up last October, was re-soldered by myself with a 150W solder gun and some dabs of Fluxite's finest after I prised the back off and saw the collection of dry solder joints.

Thank's for info from both of you

. I'm looking at a haynes manual and it say's before removing any ECU, the code must be reset by test equipment, does this apply even to just removing the connector.I don't mind doing a bit of soldering but i don't want to lose the code if possible.

I have a pit in the garage which will make life easier. Again thank's for your help. Sparky100.

This diesel ecu is not coded .So it possible to use a s/hand unit.No need to read or reset any codes for it to operate.

Hi, up-date on Astra. I looked at connector on pump ecu, how do the pin's come out of the plastic so you can solder them. There are 8-wires which are protected with little rubber plugs. I tested from pin to cable for continuity useing a pin stuck in the side of cable and they seem to be ok.

Would the spanner light come on if the ecu or pump was at fault. I'v changed the fuel filter but that was quite clean.

One more question, i tried turning on the ignition and then removed the connecter on pump ecu to see if i could hear the cut-off solinoid work but couldn't hear anything. According to the Haynes manual it's at the rear of the pump and toward's the top. The only thing i can see their is a 3-wire connecter with black/white. green. and a brown cable. Very awkward to see stuck right at the back of the engine. Is it possible to check this without dismantling the pump. Is this a common fault with astras.

Thank's for any more info. Sparky100.

Just forgot to ask what is the best code reader for this engine, and would it give any code's without the spanner light on.Sparky100.

Are you sure you are looking at the correct part.?the pump ecu is a square aluminium box held to the engine block by 4 10 mm head bolts ,with a large square plastic connector attached.This is the part that needs to be removed for repair.If this part is not fitted to your engine,the problem is elsewhere and your engine is the later type.i think you will struggle to get a good reasonable price code reader for this as the car is too early to eobd compatible.hth

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 31/10/2013 at 18:17

Hi, yes i took the large plastic connector off but the pins are fixed inside the plastic somehow and need to be released to get to them for soldering. Is there any joints inside the ecu that can cause trouble. Can the stop valve be taken off to be tested, sorry about all the questions but ithink it could be something simple but hard to trace.. Thank's again. Sparky100.

The circuit board joints that need soldering are in the box.No need to remove the pins in the connector,the problem is not here.Once the box is off,you will need to prise the back off (held with silicone sealant ).This should reveal the poor solder joints,usually covered in solder dust.A good hot iron is needed to re-flow the joints.However this is not always successful as the circuit board is double layer and the solder does not always reach the lower sections.worth a try.access to the stop valve requires removal of the diesel pump,this is a total job from hell.

Thank's for that, i thought the trouble was to do with the connector. This sound's more promising and will give it a try as soon as i can. I will give you up-date soon. Thank's again. Sparky100.

If you do a youtube search you'll see some guy in Europe (not sure which country) unsoldering and taking apart the entire EDU - I'm not sure why!

Update on astra. Took edu off and the printed cicuit board looked pretty good, re-soldered all the pin's and re-assembled. But made no difference. Is there a relay or fuse somewhere that control's the stop valve or pump that i have missed. Looking at a haynes manual doesn't really help much.

Also could it be a sensor that has failed. The spanner light has just come on after trying to start it about 40-50 times, but this goes out if i dis- connect the battery. Thank's again for your time and trouble. Sparky100.

There are some relays in the engine bay fuse box, make sure they're tight and secure (no reason they shouldn't be though). Whatever you do don't be tempted to have a go at the top-mounted ECU, as it's filled with jelly.

I think the next task would be to get the code read. There's plenty of OP-COM type code readers out there which should do the trick. Although it's strange that it's only intermittently reporting faults.

Did you check all the soldered through-hole joints? Have you any experience of dry joints? If not have a google for pictures, as they can be difficult to spot.

Hi, i have just tried the peddle test for a code, it's come up as 0251. Does anybody know what this means.The relays in engine fuse box and under steering wheel i took out and tried them on a old battery, they all seemed to work. I think i will resolder all the joints again and see if that does it. Thanks again Sparky100.

That's a typical code for a faulty EDU! It means spill valve malfunction, but is rarely the actual spill valve.

Also read http://the-edu-exchange.com/help.html at the bottom, and try the tests suggested. Can you borrow a spare EDU from somewhere?

Hi, up-date on Astravan. You guys are brilliant. Excellent forum. Managed to get secondhand EDU, changed over and started first time. Well pleased. Thanks alot. Sparky100.

astravan 1.7 dti. - astravan 1.7dti. 2003. sudden cut out. - dorsetman

I have the cut out problem on my Corsa 1.7dti isuzu engine. It happened on a long journey and we managed to get it home by taking the top off the fuel filter taking it out and putting it back. It would then run for about half an hour before it did it again. We were very careful not to lose the little spring that is in the top of the fuel filter assembly. On my Corsa this just hangs down and presses on the fuel filter. Having looked at a you tube video of the fuel filter being replaced no account of this spring is given at all. I think there could be a part missing although the car has run well for well over a year.

In short is it normal to have just the spring protruding from the inside top of the fuel filter cap?