Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - yeomand4d

Has anyone ownership experience of a 5008 with the petrol turbo engine?

Quite a rare combination, but a few now appearing on 2nd hand market.

On paper, looks ideal size wise for what i need without the saga of diesel.

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - daveyK_UK

Is this the famous 1.6 Peugeot source from BMW?

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - oldroverboy.

Repeat after me: BIG heavy car, small turbo petrol engine= problems soon

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - dan86

Agree with O R B. manufacturers are doing this to get emissions down but in real life it will have poor fuel economy and possible reliability problems. Id rather a larger naturally aspirated engin. Will give better real life fuel economy and reliability.

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - Falkirk Bairn

http://www.new-car-discount.com/car/peugeot/5008-estate/mpv/petrol/manual/1.6-thp-allure-5dr/11/

27% off!

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - Collos25

Its not a big heavy car like some people seem to thing its quite a light car and its performance is extremely good it will also propel the car at a far greater speed than is allowed.I wish people would read a little about the subject before they put pen to paper or do they think that we should return to the late 40s when cars did weigh a lot and used large inefficient engines..

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - Sam49

I've been looking at these as " perhaps one for the future" because you can get three child seats across the middle row but there are also three pairs of isofix mounts in the middle too, which is quite unsusual.

But Peugeot scored a design own goal because the 5008's "funky" underfloor storage means the floor is not strong enough to take the child seat base unit's down arm. So you either have to use fiddly top tethers or fill the floor storage with a telephone directory.

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - Andrew-T

I wish people would read a little about the subject before they put pen to paper or do they think that we should return to the late 40s when cars did weigh a lot and used large inefficient engines..

I shouldn't imagine many people visit this site who can remember anything about driving in the late 40s - or are you thinking of fuel consumption? :-)

I would remind you that today's cars are anything up to 50% heavier than corresponding ones designed and built 20-30 years back. Luckily engine technology has compensated for the gain in weight and fuel consumption has more than kept up. The reasons are safety (crumple zones etc), more-or-less unnecessary gizmos which take up space, and a general tendency towards obesity, perhaps like many of the potential buyers.

And 'reading about the subject' does not necessarily provide the same experience as hands-on.

Edited by Andrew-T on 25/10/2013 at 16:21

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - artill

I tried a 508 1.6 THP, but found the engine more laggy than i had expected, didnt like the electric handbrake, or the hill hold its stuck with. Performance was disapointing. It really needs a much bigger engine.

I didnt drive it far enough to measure economy, but anything you need to work hard will use loads of petrol. I cant see the 5008 being any different

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - yeomand4d

Not favourable then.

Have ruled out diesel due to short distances with a good run every other weekend.

Had an I40 estate hire car recently, but bit too new, nice car though, not seen a petrol on 2nd hand market.

Tried a Petrol Avensis, but at a loss where the 145bhp is, felt really underpowered,

Petrol Mondeo estate is similar bhp, so would expect the same.

Maybe a Passat Estate with the 1.8 160bhp engine?

Peugeot 5008 1.6THP - Buying - Sulphur Man

Havent tried the Avensis Tourer Petrol, but its heading my next 'hack' car list right now.

I have tried the Verso Tourer petrol Multidrive S (same engine) and didnt find that underpowered at all. Its no ball of fire, granted, but did its job as I expected, in that unflustered way that good Japanese petrols always seem too.

How about an Accord petrol Tourer, or Mazda 6 (last model) ?