Dynamic - Selling Fiat Panda 1.2 - angie1
I have had to sell my car due to a family split, the ex has left me some debt and my credit rating has dropped through the floor so cannot get finance. However, I do have the above car to use, but I want to get rid of it for a sexier model. My old car was a Peugeot. I would love to part ex this car (fiat) for a new car with not too much mileage which is not very old. Am I looking for too much?
Dynamic - Selling Fiat Panda 1.2 - skidpan

If the Fiat is reliable keep it. The last thing you need at the moment is to buy a "sexier" model that end up costing you a load of money.

That's why I hang onto the current wife, could no doubt find a sexier model but I know it would end up costing me in the short and long run.

Hahahahahahahaha! Very good, but if hate it! It was his car and if it hadn't been for him getting into debt my credit rating would be fine...

Reading your original post again are you 100% sure the Fiat is yours to sell. You say you sold your car but "I do have the above car to use" which is very different to owning it. Selling what is not yours could end up getting you in even more dificulties.

He has signed it over to me. I have the v5 now in my name at my address.
Dynamic - Selling Fiat Panda 1.2 - Avant

I can understand how you feel. This isn't just about money, but it's difficult to give you advice without knowing what your budget is. Is it simply what you can get for the Fiat, or do you have savings even if getting credit is difficult?

If it's a straight swap, Fiats unfortunately don't hold their value very well, but see if you can get a Toyota Yaris or Aygo (or the equivalent Peugeot 107 or Citroen C1) for the money you have.

Dynamic - Selling Fiat Panda 1.2 - bazza

Well, here's a different way of thinking of it. First of all, sorry to hear of your life difficulties. Now you say you've been left up the creek financially, well the last thing you want to do is buy a new car on finance. That's a sure-fire way to keep yourself up to your neck in debt! Let's say your Panda is a few years old and reasonably ok? The Panda is a fine car, we've had two and not a moments bother with either. It's cheap to run and fun to drive. But its big advantage is you own it! NOw if you keep it say another 3 years ( the time of an average lease on a new car) let's say it loses another £1k or £2K over that time - a guess) Let's say you sign up to a finance deal costing you -maybe £150 to £200 a month . 36 monthly payments you're looking at £5400 to £7200 in payments - and you probably still won't own the car. And you'll still be broke!!!

Now let's say uyou keep the Panda instead and invest that £200 a month into say an index fund, you'll probably see it grow to about £7600 ( assuming a modest 4% return) At thend you'll still own the Panda, which is now worth less obviously, but you'll have over £7000 in the bank!

OK, there might be some unexpected car expenses along the way, but they'll only be a fraction of the cost of signing up to a lease!

So keep the Panda, have it valeted, personalise it for yourself, drive it for 3 years thanking your ex for saving you money!

Dynamic - Selling Fiat Panda 1.2 - FP

You may not want to hear it, but I'm afraid I second the advice given above. Changing your car will possibly make you feel better in the short term, but if you end up with something unreliable you'll regret it and lose out financially. And if you have to stretch yourself financially to do it, it's not worth it when there must be other priorities.

I suggest you get something decorative to put inside the car that will make it "yours" - even an air freshener with a new scent. And maybe look for something else to put into your life to go with the new you - something inexpensive.

It's not really motoring advice, is it?

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies so far! Ok here is what I have done this afternoon, just dipping my toes in to see what I can get!!
I have just been to see an 8 year old Peugeot at a car showroom. It's priced up at 2800 having been previously up for 3795. Now, I have the little old 1.2 fiat panda with a dent in the bonnet and the door and 17000 miles on the clock. Parker's reckon for part ex it's worth 3100. This garage have offered me a straight swap and will give me 6 months road tax and a years mot and then a warranty for 6 months at cost price. Do I go for it?x
Oh and the fiat has no outstanding finance on it.

So despite my advice and the same advice from others you are conte,plating swapping a Fiat with 17000 miles on it for an 8 year old Peugeot.

Sorry to tell you but its all going to end in tears.

Why come on heree asking for advice if you simply intend to do what you want.

I give up.

That's exactly why I am asking!! Only testing the water really but if I am not sure now then maybe it's not meant to be?
I might just get the fiat re sprayed bright pink instead!!

"I might just get the fiat re sprayed bright pink instead!!"

Actually, that did cross my mind too...

"...maybe it's not meant to be?"

With respect, that sounds like not taking charge of your life. Nearly everything that seems to "just happen" to us is in fact the result of choices which we have made, whether consciously or unconsciously.

Edited by FP on 22/10/2013 at 20:09

"...maybe it's not meant to be?"

With respect, that sounds like not taking charge of your life. Nearly everything that seems to "just happen" to us is in fact the result of choices which we have made, whether consciously or unconsciously.

Think I am just scared....

"Think I am just scared...."

I know what you mean. Been there, done that... But remember, when you're under pressure (from being scared, or whatever) is not a good time to be making major decisions.

Better to make one or two minor ones!

Edited by FP on 22/10/2013 at 21:25

Dynamic - Selling Fiat Panda 1.2 - bazza

The Fiat has hardly any mileage on it and will cost you less in unexpected bills over the next 3 years or so by which time the Peugeot will be an old banger and more or less worthless. Older cars are ok but do need quite a bit more looking after and components reach the end of their service life and need replacing. If you're not mechanically minded, you will have to pay labour rates of say £40 to 60 an hour and it gets expensive. Things like clutches, exhausts, brakes and suspension can be very costly.

Also don't forget the garage will still be making a profit on the Peugeot, so its market value is actually less than they are asking. To be perfectly frank, it doesn't make any logical sense. Try and view it completely unemotionally and look purely at the money involved, it's just transport at the end of the day. I know that's difficult but cars can easily keep you poor if you don't!

Dynamic - Selling Fiat Panda 1.2 - bathtub tom

>> It's priced up at 2800 having been previously up for 3795.

And who told you that, a car salesman and you believed him???

Apologies to Tony G.

It was on the info....don't think I will go for it even tho it's a car I have wanted for ages!! Think I may just stick to my re spraying idea! Emotionally I have to have it, financially, I have 2 kids to look after. I would rather buy them what they need than pay for car repairs!!
Thanks everyone anyway!