VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - kit3326

My 09 Jetta has done 45,000 miles. Should I replace it? The manual says 80,000 miles - garages say it should be done now!

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - Collos25

Look in the service book or ask VAG is there a time recommendation or is it purely mileage.

Edited by Collos25 on 20/10/2013 at 11:22

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - Ordovices
"How often does it need to be changed?

4 - 5 years (4 years for cars registererd before September 2009, 5 years thereafter). This may need to be changed sooner for high mileage drivers. "

from the VW UK web site.

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/what-we-check-and-why/cambelt-change

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - The-Mechanic
"How often does it need to be changed?

4 - 5 years (4 years for cars registererd before September 2009, 5 years thereafter). This may need to be changed sooner for high mileage drivers. "

Aye, totally agree with this. I used to work in a VW dealership and we always used this schedule. Even though the OP hasn't done the recommended 80k miles, the belt is due on age as it's 4 years old.

It's not just the mileage that causes wear, but the belt, tensioner, idler pulleys etc will deteriorate with age hence VW quotes a mileage OR time replacement schedule.

Personally, I'd replace the whole kit before the recommended time / distance just for piece of mind. Don't forget to get the coolant pump replaced at the same time, it's run off the timing belt and is subject to the same mileage / age related wear as the rest of the timing kit.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - kit3326

Look in the service book or ask VAG is there a time recommendation or is it purely mileage.

The sevice book says 80,00 miles with no time recommendation

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - Simon

I'd say that it is a bit too soon. If the manual says 80,000 miles then that should be easily achievable. VAG belts are not known for premature failure to my mind. Plus it is only four years old, so not particularly aged.

Consider that most Ford cambelts are 100,000 miles/10 years, yours at 45,000 miles is hardly worn.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - dieselnut

Isn't this a CR engine. If so should be 120,000 miles & I belive no time constraint, although I wouln't run it past 10 years.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - Skezza

Isn't this a CR engine. If so should be 120,000 miles & I belive no time constraint, although I wouln't run it past 10 years.

This is absolutely totally wrong. Please don't listen to this.

The rule is usually 5 years OR:

• 60,000 miles then change every 40,000 miles.
  • 80,000 miles then change every 40,000 miles.
  • Every 40,000 miles.

Which it is, will depend on your car, but if the Jetta is the same as the Bora which I think it is, I think it'll be 60,000 then every 40,000.

Don't mess about with cambelts though, and if your car is nearing replacement or past-due, drive it carefully. I've seen an engine after a cambelt snapped at 70mph. Trust me, it's not pretty.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - Ordovices

I put my post on because I have been through this with VW UK when the dealer said "your car needs a cambelt kit doing".

The service book says "however many" miles, and you'd think that this was all there is to it. However, the extract from their web site says 4/5 years. You can't argue that this advice is available, so; ignore it, have a failure and claim from VW. I can imagine what the response from VW will be.

VW Jetta 2.0 TDi - cambelt replacement - Avant

The message seems clear - follow the advice of The-Mechanic above and play safe.