The death of the diesel engine? - Trilogy

Taken from Autocar's website. You can tell it is raining here this morning! Otherwise I'd be at work. Yes, on a Sunday. BTW, I am not a man of the cloth. :)

The dominance of diesel engines in Europe’s new car market could be over before the end of the decade.

That's according to leading automotive engineers, who say a combination of increasingly stringent emissions regulations and the high cost of new-generation anti-pollution technology will make diesel engines much more expensive.

This, say experts, will be coupled with improvements in petrol engine economy and the high possibility of significant rises in the price of diesel fuel.

Joe Bakaj, head of product development for Ford of Europe, said the costs of meeting the Euro 6 and expected Euro 7 pollution regulations would be a major problem, as would the possibility of reduced petrol refining capacity in Europe. This would force up the price of diesel, a by-product of the process. He also questioned the longevity of the tax advantages of buying diesel in some EU countries.

“Europe exports a lot of petrol to the US, but if the demand falls, a lot of refining capacity could be taken out of the system, driving up diesel prices,” said Bakaj. “There’s also the cost of exhaust after-treatment systems for the upcoming EU6.1 and EU6.2. The latter has more onerous limits on emissions of NOx and particulates.

“It is much cheaper to get petrol engines through EU6.2; with diesel engines we need technology such as selective catalyst reduction systems, and costs increase again with heavier vehicles.”

Bakaj also said petrol engine technology (“which is two to three years behind diesel”) would narrow the gap with diesel on a cost per mpg basis.

Klaus Schmidt, director of vehicle engineering for start-up Chinese brand Qoros (and previously head of chassis development at BMW’s M division), said he, too, thought diesel engines would markedly decline in importance by the end of the decade, citing ever more stringent pollution regulations as the cause.

Some 50 per cent of new cars sold in the UK are diesels, well behind the 70 per cent in Spain and France, but not far short of the EU average of 55 per cent. Europe is by far the biggest consumer of diesel-powered cars. As recently as 2010, Japan and the US had only a small, single-digit take-up for diesel cars.

The death of the diesel engine? - craig-pd130

It is interesting to look at what might happen in the next few years, and the influence of external regulations, fuel demand and other factors on events.

I believe one of the key reasona for diesels taking off in the UK was the change to a CO-emissions based company car tax calculation in the early 2000s, from the previous system which was based purely on the car's list price.

This influenced a lot of people to consider the move to diesel, especially as VAG had recently introduced its 1.9 PD engine and BMW revised its diesel range for the 3-series.

My company car at the time was a Volvo V40 2.0T, the light-pressure turbo version of the T4. Very nice car and quick too, but in the final year of ownership the tax was punitive because of the switch in regime. I changed to a Passat PD130 and saw a big drop in BIK tax, not to mention 50% more miles per gallon ...

A couple of friends had Impreza turbos as company cars at the time, as the list price without extras such as aircon was under the £20K tax barrier. They too got stung by the BIK tax changes and went diesel as soon as they could.

The death of the diesel engine? - gordonbennet

In my own survey of one i'd already come to this decision, i didn't want DPF at all, wasn't that keen on CR to be honest, and sure as hell don't want any of the next technological 'advances'.

You only have to look at these forums to see the huge, indeed almost car scrappingly expensive, problems that the current technology can present to owners within months in some cases of the vehicle coming out of warranty, goodness knows what the next lot will bring.

I think Toyota who have a 10 or more years clear head start with Hybrids over those who continued down Diesel route could do very well out of this, very seldom do we hear of problems with Toyota hybrids and even rarer is there a case of Toyota washing their hands of it.

Be interesting to see how the other makers hybrid efforts fare as they age, particularly the Germans and French whos commitment to customer care or standing by their product isn't exactly legendary.

The death of the diesel engine? - corax

Are we talking about the death of the diesel engine for road cars because I can't see what could be used for long distance lorries or agricultural, construction, mining machinery e.t.c where there isn't a viable alternative at the moment.

I know that some companies have been experimenting with electric lorries but the range is still the stumbling block.

Edited by corax on 13/10/2013 at 14:44

The death of the diesel engine? - RT

There's no practical alternative to diesel, for the foreseeable future for any vehicle that has to deal with load as opposed to just passengers - petrol and hybrids are no good for towing or any form of load-lugging.

But passenger-only vehicles are more easily replaced by public transport !

Are we talking about the death of the diesel engine for road cars because I can't see what could be used for long distance lorries or agricultural, construction, mining machinery e.t.c where there isn't a viable alternative at the moment.

I know that some companies have been experimenting with electric lorries but the range is still the stumbling block.

Can't see anything on the horizon at the moment, but the HGV market has changed massively over the years.

Interesting thread on one of the lorry forums a few weeks ago, owner driver with a 6 year old MAN the exhaust of which was falling apart, its a DPF by the way and the initial quote for replacement was a handy £12k, which they managed to whittle down to a £7.5k, bargain..;).

That seems like a massive amount of money but compares with cars which might not be worth repairing if any combination of DPF, DMF, dual clutch box, EPB or another must have failed @ 6 years.

Interestingly, my one man and his dog bodyshop chap who now prefers to work on classics is finding increasing numbers of customers who, like us, are fixing maintaining rustproofing and generally preparing their previous generation cars to last as long as they can make them and do not want to be forced into the current electronic devices.

Us ''if it aint broke don't fix it'' club members are increasing in number, i wonder if this will reflect in car prices, certainly i see some serious money being asked for older MB's like mine.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/10/2013 at 15:48

The death of the diesel engine? - mss1tw

Interestingly, my one man and his dog bodyshop chap who now prefers to work on classics is finding increasing numbers of customers who, like us, are fixing maintaining rustproofing and generally preparing their previous generation cars to last as long as they can make them and do not want to be forced into the current electronic devices.

Us ''if it aint broke don't fix it'' club members are increasing in number, i wonder if this will reflect in car prices, certainly i see some serious money being asked for older MB's like mine.

What are the odds of 'them' taxing or legalising older cars off the road?

The carrot was the scrappage scheme.

Not looking forward to the stick.

The carrot was the scrappage scheme. Not looking forward to the stick.

Thats always in the back of my mind too, don't trust em as far as i can see em, look at Germany and the banning of some older cars in the cities and we can see the softening up propaganda in its infancy, what Germany says goes whilst we continue to strangely elect surrender monkeys to govern us.

Banned from entering cities doesn't bother me in the least (gladly volunteer for that), the further i can keep away from hell and the demons that reside there the better.

I can still visualise some of the scrappage gems i carried when that farce was in progress, make a grown man weep the criminal disposal of some of the best used cars to be found anywhere, another typical politicians dream/nightmare.

- gordonbennet, when I took my 1996 W124 in for it's MOT it was the third car in and first to pass. The failures were a 2006 Vauxhall Corsa and a 2010 Mercedes M-Class.

Like you I prefer older cars for their simplicity. The newest is a 2001 Focus estate with the pre-TDCi engine. The 1998 Octavia TDi eventually went to the graveyard in the sky at 221,000 miles. Termination had nothing to do with it's engine nor any other diesel related parts.

Both the Merc and Octy are very eco friendly so no reason for the government to legalise off mss1twbn. The classic/older car industry is a thriving part of the economy!

when I took my 1996 W124.

Snap, cracking cars, invested some serious money into mine this year, hoping she'll give us another 10/11 years good daily driver service, always assuming we last that long..;)

I finally gave up on Diesels last year after having them almost continually for about 30 years, see no reason to go back, its LPG for me now, the MB so converted has been a great success, thats my route for the forseeable future.

'' The classic/older car industry is a thriving part of the economy!''

Thats the bit that will keep the environment gestapo at bay if anything will, must be a lot of money going into the economy from the classic and older car scenes, some of us are awkward minded enough to resort to push bikes and shanks' pony if they banned all the old cars, then ''they'' would get nothing.

Edited by gordonbennet on 13/10/2013 at 16:55

Thats the bit that will keep the environment gestapo at bay if anything will, must be a lot of money going into the economy from the classic and older car scenes, some of us are awkward minded enough to resort to push bikes and shanks' pony if they banned all the old cars, then ''they'' would get nothing

Relax - they'll get it one way or another. ;)

Both the Merc and Octy are very eco friendly so no reason for the government to legalise off mss1twbn. The classic/older car industry is a thriving part of the economy!

With help to buy (How about letting house prices come back to a sane level), the bank bailouts, and pathetic interest rates I question the governments concern over the 'real' economy.

Follow the money!

Edited by mss1tw on 13/10/2013 at 16:57

The death of the diesel engine? - A3 A4

Wasn't there recent talk about Europe only allowing the fitment of OEM parts to old cars, if so that would be the beginning of such a process. My 03 PD Avant is in for the long haul. Must stock up on some oil filters....

The government is only interested in being re-elected.

The death of the diesel engine? - alastairq

Dunno if anyone remembers but..I recall an interview with a certain Dr Porsche, quite a few years ago,.....whose company conducted much of the developement work on diesels for major makers.....this interview was some years ago...and he was talking of years to come [think he said, Porsche were condcting developements which wouldn't be seen for 6-8 years hence?}....

anyway, crux of interview was, he considered diesels [for cars?] to be 'at the end of their developement, and would die out.....

So, just as diesels are dying, I manage to buy myself an ancient DAihatsu Fourtrak.....the first,and probably only diesel I'll buy....unless I get bitten by the old tractor bug?

it won't 'replace' whatever car I'm driving...but it will tow my big trailer.....something my Fiesta could only dream about...

Does anybody know if the mud comes as standard?

Yes, if used for intended purpose. :)

Will it run on veggie oil?

The death of the diesel engine? - Avant

Funny, SWMBO and I were talking about this on the way home from being out to lunch, as an elderly diesel Volvo accelerated into the space I'd left on the M3 between us and the car in front. She isn't really into cars but couldn't help noticing the cloud of black smoke emitted by the Volvo.

I think for small cars the new efficient petrol engines have made diesels unnecessary. When I did higher mileages than my current 12,000 pa diesels made sense - but even on bigger cars petrols are catching up, and on a long run I can get 40 mpg from my petrol Octavia vRS estate without deliberately driving for economy.

My next Octavia will be another petrol. I do have the worry that some pollution scare will come to light and knock the resale value of diesels for six. And after five diesels in a row, the refinement of the petrol engine comes as a relief from that boring diesel noise.

The death of the diesel engine? - alastairq

Will it run on veggie oil?

I believe so...it is a '94, however, it might need a home-made fuel heater inserting?

Bought it because I know it, and really need something that will tow a vehicle trailer big enough to carry a volvo.....not that I will be carrying a volvo, but that was the motivation for buying the trailer in the first place.....[bought a decade ago, pulled it with another volvo, which has sadly demised to become the latest dish washer?]

The older cars of this world will always win hands-down when it comes to the eco stakes.

[ie,cost to the planet for scrapping a Prius??}

"She isn't really into cars but couldn't help noticing the cloud of black smoke emitted by the Volvo."

Avant, sadly my Focus does that when I accelerate hard. It appears to be more noticeable than the Octavia.

The death of the diesel engine? - Snakey

I like some aspects of diesel engines (torque at low revs, great motorway cruisers and good mpg) but the variety of issues that hit cars in my price range (i.e out of manufacturer warranty!) has steered me back towards petrol.

Petrol costs slightly less and my bills are usually less when it comes to a failure. Plus the interior warms up a lot quicker in the winter!

My next car would probably be a hybrid, I think petrol hybrids or range extenders have potenial, whereas electric only are a novelty that are only suitable for particular types of people.

I wonder if the ever more complicated nature of diesels will put off private buyers - sure you might have a car with a potential 70mpg but the first thing to go wrong could wipe out 1-2 years of fuel savings.

The death of the diesel engine? - bazza

I think what will happen is that diesel installations will be confined to the large luxury car market where the extra £1000 or so of SCR equipment to meet Euro 6 is less of a percentage of the initial cost. It's the small car market, where there is less profit per car that will see the greatest changes. We're already seeing the change there, with various petrol/hybrid solutions to maximise economy And on the downside, we've also seen the decrease in reliability and increase in running costs brought on by Euro 5 requirements. Toyota have been ahead of this game for years, slowly perfecting their hybrid technology to the point where it is now completely viable- and - simpler than the forthcoming Euro 6 diesel technology, which is bound to prove "interesting" in the mass car market.

I bought one of the last Tdi 1.9 motors (Euro 4) as I fancied one last diesel! If/when it expires, it will be petrol next, or very possibly petrol/hybrid, the new Auris is exceptionally econonomical and Prius regularly tops reliability tables. It's sad, as i enjoy diesels but unfortunately ill-thought out EU legislation is killing them off.

The death of the diesel engine? - BenG

Bought a 7-year old diesel Seat Leon in 2011 specifically to avoid DPF fitment & consequent issues. It's a 2004 1.9 PD TDI with solenoid injectors.

Pity the rest of the car has not been as reliable as the engine, & has swallowed up cash equivalent to over 10 years worth of fuel savings vs a petrol engine...

Next car will be a Mercedes 190, petrol, over 20 years old...

The death of the diesel engine? - A3 A4

What problems have you had, and how many miles has it done?

The death of the diesel engine? - artill

The only issue with Toyota Hybrids is the CVT box. What if i want to drive a Manual? Right now the only manual hybrid available in the UK is the Honda CR-Z. Of course because few hybrids are sold in Europe where we drive a relatively high proportion of manuals, and most in the US and far east where they seem happier with autos, we shouldnt be surprised, but if Toyota want to see a big increase in their Hybrid uptake they should develope a Manual box too.

The only issue with Toyota Hybrids is the CVT box. What if i want to drive a Manual? Right now the only manual hybrid available in the UK is the Honda CR-Z. Of course because few hybrids are sold in Europe where we drive a relatively high proportion of manuals, and most in the US and far east where they seem happier with autos, we shouldnt be surprised, but if Toyota want to see a big increase in their Hybrid uptake they should develope a Manual box too.

I love manuals and have never wanted an auto, but when it's connected to a motor it's just not the same...even I'd probably just get an auto as the entire rest of the thing would be so different to what I consider a proper car to be!

The death of the diesel engine? - Snakey

I prefer manuals as well but I'm ready to move to the new generation of auto/hybrids - after all a toyota prius/auris hybrid is like a big gadget so that would be right up my street!

I love manuals and have never wanted an auto, but when it's connected to a motor it's just not the same...even I'd probably just get an auto as the entire rest of the thing would be so different to what I consider a proper car to be!

Many years ago i had a Honda Insight. The first generation one with the manual box. Despite being Hybrid you just drove it like any manual car, there really was no obvious difference, except the tiny petrol consumption (despite my lead feet and Yorkshires hills, it averaged 68 mpg with me).

The death of the diesel engine? - Sulphur Man

I had a mk1 Insight too, from 2003-2005. I bought it the day after the London CC came in, as I lived on the border of the CC zone then and needed to travel across it regularly.

Fantastic car, like a Swiss watch. The only reason I had to let it go was due to marriage and family. My best mpg was 86.3 driving from London to North Norfolk.

Whilst it was marketed and called a 'hybrid', I'd query that as the car could not travel on electric power only, Honda's IMA, Integrated Motor Assist, in the Mk1 Insight is exactly that, an 'assist', a sort of electric turbo which uses a brushless motor sat between the gearbox and the drivetrain to take load from the engine. Does the CR-Z run on electricity alone? Not sure it does.

Anyway, that's slightly pedantic, and off topic for the OP.

Death of diesel? Well there's some glimmers of light for 4-cyl diesel reliability in the shape of the Nissan-Renault alliance 1.6dci and Mazda SkyActiv which are both easier on their DPFs than previous cars. Nissan claim the 1.6dci has been tested to big mileages without complaint. That engine went on sale from late 2011 onwards in the Espace, so end of 2014 onwards will be the periods to watch.

As I understand it, Mazda's SkyActiv diesels might be the best step forward for diesel combustion. With their lower compression ratio , it avoids the urea injection to mop up nitrous oxides and the DPF load is greatly reduced, as the fuel is burned much more effectively at the cylinder’s top dead-centre.

The death of the diesel engine? - JOGON

Hope so.

A new clean diesel with catalyser etc is probls ok.

Sadly I've often been unfortunate to be behind an older, ex fleet 2nd hand diesel who decides to floor the pedal releasing a cloud of brown / grey particulates.

These are awful even in new clean machines tiny enough to enter the body and cause strokes,

Good riddance.

The death of the diesel engine? - dan86

A lot of the crap that you see coming out ofcthe back of deisel cars is because thete poorly maintained. If there regularly serviced not just oil change but all the filters as well they tend not to chug out as much crap.

When you see all that crap its because the engin cant breath properly and is not burning the fuel properly. My 1.9 tdi VE seat cordoba I had a few years ago was regularly serviced and It never had this problem.

The death of the diesel engine? - brum

A lot of the crap that you see coming out ofcthe back of deisel cars is because thete poorly maintained. If there regularly serviced not just oil change but all the filters as well they tend not to chug out as much crap.

When you see all that crap its because the engin cant breath properly and is not burning the fuel properly.

Thats only true if the engine is pre EURO2 (about 1995). Since then sensors such as MAF sensors have been fitted that prevent gross overfuelling due to blocked air filters etc.

The main reason for later cars for spewing out black soot is either they have been remapped/tuning box fitted or have been driven gently for a long periods allowing soot to accumulate in the exhaust system, waiting for the time a decent amount of pressure then blows it out in one go. Or the engine has some fault e.g. EGR valve.

Some EURO4 and most EURO5 engines have a dpf, so then you should never "see" the soot - although it still comes out when regenerating but as CO2.

Seems to me modern diesels dont smoke when new, but they only need to get to about 4 years of age before the first ones look a bit smokey under acceleration. And if you are walking and one accerates past you, even if you cant see any smoke, you can still feel it in your breathing. It cant be healthy for people with breathing difficulties

The death of the diesel engine? - skidpan

most EURO5 engines have a dpf

All Euro 5 diesel engines have a DPF, its the law. It is not possible for a manufacturer to type approve a Euro 5 diesel without.

Edited by skidpan on 15/10/2013 at 14:37

The death of the diesel engine? - Bromptonaut

Seems to me modern diesels dont smoke when new, but they only need to get to about 4 years of age before the first ones look a bit smokey under acceleration. And if you are walking and one accerates past you, even if you cant see any smoke, you can still feel it in your breathing. It cant be healthy for people with breathing difficulties

Sometimes posts on here make me wonder if we're all on the same planet. This is one such.

I've never been much aware of diesel smoke in my breathing and I ride a pushbike in London traffic. Early low emission buses had a exhausts that smelled odd - slightly rotten like a dustcart - but not now.

Sometimes posts on here make me wonder if we're all on the same planet. This is one such.

I've never been much aware of diesel smoke in my breathing and I ride a pushbike in London traffic. Early low emission buses had a exhausts that smelled odd - slightly rotten like a dustcart - but not now.

I find that very odd - diesel fumes have been the plague of bus stations and taxi ranks for decades.

I find that very odd - diesel fumes have been the plague of bus stations and taxi ranks for decades.

Decades ago, even a decade ago, for sure they were. Now, in London, buses are smoke free and the last of the older taxis which are not are either being retired or re-engined.

The death of the diesel engine? - skidpan

I've never been much aware of diesel smoke in my breathing and I ride a pushbike in London traffic. Early low emission buses had a exhausts that smelled odd - slightly rotten like a dustcart - but not now

Diesel smoke and stink still happens, sat at lights this morning behind a VW transporter and at the side of a truck, no idea who was the offender. The smell of diesel smoke was very noticable, you could feel it at the back of your throat.

When I reverse our Euro 5 Ceed out of the garage in the morning there is the normal diesel smell but no smoke as there was with our old diesels.

The death of the diesel engine? - brum

Smell and smoke are two different things, the rules and DPF etc are concerned wioth particulates which if large enough appear as smoke.

Smell is probably the cheapster running his motor on home brew diesel (chip fat, veggie oil etc. etc.)

A lot of smoke offenders nowadays are people who get their cars/vans remapped or add a tuning box. These characters are also often likely to de-cat their motors and remove their DPFs. One of these modded engines often produces as much smoke/particulates as over 1000 normal cars and personally I think their owners should have their motors confiscated and crushed.

EU is trying to make modifications of this type illegal, but the UK is not biting yet - although the MOT rules are supposed to address this before too long.

Decades ago, even a decade ago, for sure they were. Now, in London, buses are smoke free and the last of the older taxis which are not are either being retired or re-engined.

Maybe it's ex-London taxis that move to the Provinces ?

The death of the diesel engine? - dan86

A lot of oldet black cabs dont have a licence to work in central London only the suburbs of London I can only guess this is to do with emissions.

The death of the diesel engine? - jamie745

All sensible people know diesels are more polluting (in terms of genuine pollutants, not co2 which is a building block of life) than petrols, perhaps legislators are finally catching on.

The ordinary motorist has only started buying diesels in the last 15 odd years because of the price of fuel. When petrol was 34p a litre, nobody had a diesel.

The death of the diesel engine? - dieseldogg

bah humbug.

Clive at work allows his fuel bill has halfed by changing his wife from a Mazda 3 petrol to a Vauxhall Mokka diesel.

He ignored my advice 4 years ago when he bought the b***** petrol car

35 mpg to 50 plus mpg

do the sums.

marcus

All sensible people know diesels are more polluting (in terms of genuine pollutants, not co2 which is a building block of life) than petrols, perhaps legislators are finally catching on.

The ordinary motorist has only started buying diesels in the last 15 odd years because of the price of fuel. When petrol was 34p a litre, nobody had a diesel.

They've let you out again?

Accepting the Co2 as bulding block thing have you not heard the expression too much of a good thing?

Diesels caught on here because (a) they're much more fuel efficient - while we buy fuel by volume rather than weiht (b) manufacturers produced diesels that drove well - PSA's XUD was the pioneer and (c) the BIK tax stuff around fleet cars

Accepting the Co2 as bulding block thing have you not heard the expression too much of a good thing?

I've also heard there's more Polar Bears now than in 1950. I've also heard the filthy nox gases from diesels do far more harm in built up areas than carbon dioxide ever does. I've also heard Japan and Los Angeles are not keen on diesels for the aforementioned reason.

(a) they're much more fuel efficient - while we buy fuel by volume rather than weiht

But when petrol was reasonably priced, that didn't matter. Then the Government fancied some new computers and a wardrobe....

manufacturers produced diesels that drove well - PSA's XUD was the pioneer an

Don't you own a Berlingo and therefore have no right to critique the driveability of motorcars?

(c) the BIK tax stuff around fleet cars

Yeah, more state gerrymandering. In the 1980s a company car was a better deal than having your own car. It's all gone to hell.

Don't you own a Berlingo and therefore have no right to critique the driveability of motorcars?

Drives an auto - opinion on driveability invalid. ;)

If it was a Honda Jazz auto then I'd take your point. But it's not. So go jump off a pier.

Jamie,

I'm not going to do a cut/paste disection but:

• Polar bears, whatever the population now, are suffering loss of habitat as the northern ice cap shrinks.
  • The real terms cost of fuel now, measured in time worked to buy a litre, is at or below the historical average.
  • I've had two cars with XUD engines the first of which directly replaced the same model running on petrol. Not only was the diesel quieter and more economical but it's 30-50 and 50-70 times, ie real world driving, were better.

Polar bears, whatever the population now, are suffering loss of habitat as the northern ice cap shrinks.

Well I saw the latest Nasa pictures of the Arctic a few weeks ago which appeared to show it's bigger now than 10 years ago, which is very interesting as Al Gore keeps trying to tell me the Arctic doesn't exist.

However, for sake of argument let's assume you're right that their habitats are shrinking. Let's also assume that man made carbon dioxide is to blame.

I don't see how fuel tax is going to restore that loss of habitat. I don't see how green taxes on our energy are going to restore that loss of habitat. The UK represents only 2% of the Worlds man made co2 emissions. Road transport accounts for only 20% of that 2% so the role of the average British motorist in all of this is incredibly tiny.

Even if Britain sunk into the sea tomorrow, India and China would make up our 2% within a year anyway, so that's why I feel taxes on road fuel and green taxes on energy supposedly in the name of saving the Ice Cap to be m****ically laughable. So much so it's not even funny.

Edit; M o r o n is now censored? Jesus wept.

Edited by jamie745 on 17/10/2013 at 19:30

A lot of oldet black cabs dont have a licence to work in central London only the suburbs of London I can only guess this is to do with emissions.

If you mean the licence displayed in the rear window that's about the driver and his knowledge. The vehicle's licence is on the boot and includes registration, number of seats and expiry date.

The death of the diesel engine? - Sofa Spud

The petrol / diesel argument will become increasingly irrelevant as we move towards range-extender hybrids in future years. Then, the internal combustion engine will become a mere auxiliary component, part of an on-board generator that only starts up when the battery pack needs topping up.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 18/10/2013 at 21:39

The petrol / diesel argument will become increasingly irrelevant as we move towards range-extender hybrids in future years. Then, the internal combustion engine will become a mere auxiliary component, part of an on-board generator that only starts up when the battery pack needs topping up.

The whole flaw in the concept of hybrids and range-extenders is that on long journeys at motorway cruising speeds, where there's no chance to recharge from the grid, then performance is limited by the internal combustion engine because the stored electric power has long been exhausted - so hybrids and range-extenders will either need similar outputs from their i/c engine as ordinary cars now enjoy - or - performance and cruising speed will be pathetically slow.

The death of the diesel engine? - 659FBE

From a thermodynamic point of view, only a diesel prime mover makes sense for a hybrid. The Japanese are hopeless at diesel engines and also need to sell their hybrids world wide - diesels cannot be sold in some markets - so their choice is obvious.

The real flaw of a hybrid is its total inability to operate acceptably or efficiently at or near full load.

No hybrid can tow anything at all.

Drive a loaded hybrid up a mountain pass, and see how fast it can go after 15 mins.

Check the real fuel consumption under Winter conditions of full heater and electrical load - (miserable).

Check the real fuel consumption at full air conditioning load.

The diesel excells under all of the above conditions. The energy stored electrically in a hybrid's battery is so miniscule compared with the energy stored in a tankfull of fossil fuel that the facility of mains recharging is largely irrelevant.

A hybrid is just about a runner as a city car - but stupidly expensive for its limited capabilities, making it an uneconomic proposition for a single car owner who expects good performance over a wide range of applications.

Edited by 659FBE on 18/10/2013 at 22:24

The death of the diesel engine? - bananastand

The EU is run by lobbyists for lobbyists. You have to ask "qui bono?" (I think). Stringent emissions mean that certain industries benefit from manufacturing DPFs, for example.

Light bulb manufacturers love the fact that all motorists have to carry a spare set, just in case, even though they can't actually fit them. Makes no sense whatsoever, but that isn't the point.

Whether the diesel survives or changes all depends on who wins the power struggle in the labyrinths of Brussels and Strasbourg.

You can tell I'm not a fan.