Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - misslion17
Hi
My car has done 39000 and is a good little runner. The time has come to sell it and I would like to know what is the best way of selling it - private, dealer or auction? I have a complete service history including all the invoices and it is in pretty good nick.
Thank you
Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - dieselnut

Selling private will give you the best price as long as you don't mind the odd timewaster.

If you've got a local paper try that, buyers won't want to travel far for a car of that age, otherwise Autotrader or eBay.

Make sure you give a full description highlighting the FSH, & genuine low mileage.

Edited by dieselnut on 13/10/2013 at 14:15

Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - Avant

If you want to avoid the hassle of sellig privately, you can try Suresell (google them - I can't remember the website) - but you will get a lower price. I sold my old BMW Z3 that way but got only £2,200 for it, whereas privately I might have got £3,000. The Suresell process was easy and painless.

Thank you
Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - Chris M

Sounds like an easy car to sell privately. Ideal for a learner as a first car and it's got a VW badge so reasonable street cred.

Thank you.
I guess my other concern is that selling privately might take a bit of time. Do you have any idea how long private sales are taking? I see a few cars in my area with for sale signs up for what seems to be a long time.
Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - mss1tw

Put it up at the right price and it will go.

I once put a Fiesta for sale at a price that honestly reflected its condition (Tired!) but people still thought was a bargain. I could have sold that car ten times in the first 2 days it went online.

Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - daveyK_UK
Put it on ebay motors.
Limit the sale to only bidders with decnet history.

Got rid of 2 vehicles recently using ebay motors, far cheaper than putting them in the auction, and a guaranteed sale unlike the autotrader.

One acheived a little over 100% of CAP average the other slightly below.

I advertised them honestly - mentioned dents, baldy spare tyre, etc with photos.

Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - whatcitynext

I think a private sale can be difficult. The last time I did it I agreed to reduce the price to let the car go but months and months later the buyer came back to say it needed an exhaust and wanted me to give him the money to pay for it.

Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - Galaxy

I think a private sale can be difficult. The last time I did it I agreed to reduce the price to let the car go but months and months later the buyer came back to say it needed an exhaust and wanted me to give him the money to pay for it.

I hope you told him where to go! (and no, I don't mean where to get the exhaust fixed!)

Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - Skezza

VW Lupo, truly one of VW's finest unknown cars.

VW Lupo 1.0 - by far the best car for ANY 'normal' learner driver!!

VW Lupo 1.7 SDI - A workhorse MPG lover. (Up to 80MPG)

VW Lupo 1.4 TDI - The perfect balance between MPG and performance.

VW Lupo 1.6 GTi - For those who fancy something a bit more rapid (0-60 in 7 seconds with a few little adjustments).

VW Lupo 1.2 TDI - Still the record holder for the Guiness World Record highest MPG ever recorded (achieving 100MPG back in 2001)

Edited by Skezza on 22/10/2013 at 00:32

Volkswagen Lupo 1.0 '52 - Private sale or auction - Avant

For those reasons the Lupo got quite a good press at the time. Its successor, the Fox, wasn't much liked, but now most people rave about the Up. Strange!