Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - very puzzled

My Zafira (1.6 Exclusive, 44,000miles, serviced 2 weeks ago.) has had a bit of an episode. On the drive, cold, got in, wouldn't start. The engine turned over fast, recovered to garage, not starter, not cambelt. 'all your valves are stuck open' Solution 'remove hydraulic tappets, bleed and refit' £170. Car now works fine. Only problem, why did it happen, will it happen again, how can I stop it recurring.......

1 main dealer had never heard of, 2 more had heard of but no solution, neither had garage that fixed it. Just one of those things...

Ever heard of this before? Any ideas?

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - skidpan

They are having a huge laugh at your expense. if the valves had stuck open you would be looking at a huge repair bill since the pistons would have hit the open valves.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - Collos25

Plus broken camshaft like Skidpan says they are having a laugh and you paid 170pounds for the joke.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - jc2

Only possible reason could have been wrong oil-viscosity too high.

Valves stuck open! Quite possible-not fully open but just not seating and therefore no compression.Vehicle had recently been serviced and if wrong oil used could explain problems.If it's the same garage,ask for the £170 back!!!

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - Roly93

One or more valves slightly open is a possibility, it wouldn't have to be much. I have played around with hydraulic tappets loads over the years but have never come across this though.

The theory on wrong grade of oil is plausible.

I am sure that my local Ford Dealer always used the wron oil in our Focus as when I changed the oil with the recommended grade of fully synth the MPG jumped by a couple of points and the engine just seemed zestier.

Used to happen when idiots put 20w/50 into a CVH.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - elekie&a/c doctor

"incorrectly serviced 2 weeks ago".As above,probably used the wrong spec oil.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I accept what you say about the tappets and oil, but why wouldn't it start, why did the enging just spin very fast? 2 assistance/recovery drivers tried (not very hard) to fix it but couldn't. It was delivered as a non runner to the garage and they fixed it, how? Any ideas?

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - RT

If all the valves were stuck open, there would be no compression so it will turn over fast.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - dadbif
If some or all the valves were stuck open it would turn over quickly since there would be little or no compression , and without compression it would not start.
Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - Simon

Did you by any chance start the car and then very quickly turn it off, the time before it failed to restart with this 'valve problem'?

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - bathtub tom

I agree with skidpan, if the valves were stuck open they'd likely be struck by the pistons. If, however they were stuck closed (through lack of oil operating the hydraulic lifters), you'd get a 'spring' effect of the upstroke helping the piston return, resulting in a fast turnover on the starter.

I did indeed, this seems to be the critical factor, but why?

10 days and you have not sorted it its either a wind up or you have no real intention of repairing the car.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - Soichiro

10 days and you have not sorted it its either a wind up or you have no real intention of repairing the car.

Maybe try reading the post again. Before spouting off.

I have read the posts fully and commented I stick with what I say.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - Simon

I did indeed, this seems to be the critical factor, but why?

I assume that this reply was to my post about starting it the previous time and then turning it off very quickly.

If so I have seen this phenomenon a few times particularly with Vauxhalls when this has happened. I assume that the hydraulic lifters must somehow lose pressure or something like that due to the engine having only been run for seconds. You crank them back over and it sounds just like the cambelt has gone, ie little or no compression.

Normally I have found that if you just keep winding it over and over on the starter, after maybe 20/30 seconds of cranking you will hear the compression start to come back and eventually it will sort itself out.

Why? I don't know, but this seems to do the trick.

Simon, thanks very much for your reply. yes I did run the car very briefly the day before it wouldn't start. I sent it to the garage and whatever they did it now runs fine, I've used it nearly every day since then. I'm never going to run it briefly ever again. I realise I may never know what happened, and I hope it never happens again so I'll never have to address it again. There is just a little niggle left as to why a modern well maintained car should do this? how brief is briefly? but as I say I may never know.......and I can live with that. I'll certainly crank it more if it does, its just I assumed the starter had gone so didn't bother. Thanks for your thoughts.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - injection doc

Simon is spot on, very common problem if car is started for a few seconds then switched back off ! most common occurance of breakdowns some years ago where cars were moved on a driveway just for washing and tappets would jack.

The lifters dont jam fully open, they just lift the valve off the seat, most common cause is incorrect oil grade used !!!!!!!!

Oil spec is crutial for later cars now and spec must be adhered too ! not only viscocity but the letter coding as well.

Thanks injection doc and simon, last question..the car was serviced by an independent garage, how can I tell if they used the right grade oil?

Ask!-anyway an "independent" is more likely to use whatever he has in stock(he won't hold every grade of oil)-a dealer is more likely to hold the correct one.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - injection doc

Easy, ask the garage what oil they use as you would like to match it with top up oil

Good idea, thanks.

Vauxhall Zafira - Hydraulic tappets stuck open - zafira 2.2

I had exactly this problem with 2.2 zafira, car started one day, but not the next. Engine turning over unusually fast.

The tappets had "hydrauliced" and were holding the valves slightly off their seats. No danger of any collisions with pistons, but very little compression.

The fix is to connect, via a set of jump leads to another car with the engine running and then crank the non starting engine over until it eventually splutters into life. This may take several minutes and initially it will run really uneven, but it will eventually clear all the tappets and run normally.

Doing this just on its own battery will often flatten it, so it is worth getting another power source to keep it turning over.

Result - car fixed, no money spent.

Well except for new battery, coil pack, temp sensor, crank sensor and much gnashing of teeth and scratching of head. Fortunately I am on good term with my motor factor and he took all the parts back and gave me a refund.