Skoda Octavia / VW Golf - VAG 1.9 PD engines and no DPF - Element

I am trying to find a reliable diesel engined car of the most recent registration that does not have a DPF. I have read extensively throughout many forums that the VAG 1.9PD engine (particularly the 130HP version) was the best in terms of frugality and reliability. I know this engine is no longer in production. My wife likes the Skoda Octavia and the VW Golf estate cars and I do see some advertised as 1.9 PD engined cars - however I have found many, many adverts for 1.9PD cars that were registered in 2008 and even 2009 (among the VW's and Seats) and I am trying to find out whether any of these 2008 / 2009 cars have or have not got the DPF's fitted.

My research thus far suggests they haven't because of the design of the 1.9 PD engines - but I'd rather know the facts first before approaching the car dealers. The adverts don't say (no surprise) and wherever I look for definitive information I can't find out this one simple answer. Short of contacting VW and Skoda directly about this issue in all these different cars, I'm stuck. So I have opened my membership to this fine establishment with the question :

Are all cars, even those of 2008 & 2009 registration, with a VAG 1.9PD engine built without a DPF?

Many thanks in advance for your wise counsel!

I have to add a little clarification in here. I have seen lots of adverts for 2008 / 2009 1.9 Tdi Seat Altea cars which don't say DPF in the title description - whereas I equally see many VW Golf adverts of 2008 / 2009 1.9Tdi that do say DPF - so there has been a VAG 1.9 engine married with a DPF it is presumably not a PD version. I think my mistake may have been assuming that the 1.9 engines were all PD. Maybe I need to try to find the distinction for end of production for the PD's.

Skoda Octavia / VW Golf - VAG 1.9 PD engines and no DPF - Big John

There are some VAG 1.9 pd's that have a DPF. Late Golfs do but must Skodas don't (The 1.9 PD Greenline version of the Superb does have a DPF )

The PD doesnt sit well with a DPF as because the PD is cam operated (then fired by a solenoid) an as such can't be used to fuel again on the exhaust cycle to assist in DPF regens.

Skoda Octavia / VW Golf - VAG 1.9 PD engines and no DPF - bazza

There is no DPF fitted to any of the 1.9PD Octavias. I checked this myself and own a 58 reg 1.9PD. Certainly, the 105 BHP unit was never fitted with one across the whole range.

Thanks for the info, I decided to ask VW, Skoda & Seat directly when they ceased to register cars in the UK with this engine and no DPF. Looking forward to their replies!

Skoda Octavia / VW Golf - VAG 1.9 PD engines and no DPF - Ordovices

I believe that the Passat Bluemotion 1.9s had a DPF. Don't know about the other VAG 1.9s, my Passat 1.9 doesn't.

Skoda Octavia / VW Golf - VAG 1.9 PD engines and no DPF - dan86

My BIL had a Audi a3 1.9pd with a dpf its a 2008 and has been nouthing but trouble since hes ownd the car.