Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - IAJ

Hi all,

I need some advice on the best option for a cheap and reliable second hand run around (will be used to go to the train station, ferry small kids around locally and maybe the very occasional two hour motorway trip).

Roughly the options are:

(i) Hyundai i20 - 2010/60 - 1.5 years remaining on warranty - 30,000 miles - £4.5K;

(ii) Honda Jazz - 2010/60 - no warranty - 20,000miles - £6K or 2011/61 15,000 Miles 1 yr warranty - £7K;

(iii) Toyota Yaris - 2010/60 - no warranty - 40,000miles - £5.5k.

I know the Jazz and Toyota will be more reliable, but for my needs, will the Hyundai fit the bill or am I better just paying for the Honda as it will undboubtedly last longer and be better value in the long run?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - Happy Blue!

Don't see why the i20 will not be as reliable as the Toyota or Honda. I have driven lots of i20s as rental cars and they stand up very well to the hammer they get. Comfortable, spacious interior. Perhaps a bit less fancy inside than the other two, but for basic transport perfectly acceptable.

To put it into perspective, in the summer our family of five travelled in an i20 on several long trips whilst on holiday with no complaints from anyone.

Its no brainer. Buy the Hyundai.

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - galileo

Honda parts are very expensive, so with no warranty the Jazz could cost you if problems develop.

Yaris will probably be reliable, SWMBO is on her second one, only problem was a failed rear brake adjuster, which wasn't expensive, Toyota dealers are usually very good.

1.5 years manufacturer warranty on the i20 and the £1000 saved on purchase price relative to Yaris would in my judgment recommend the Hyundai.

Thanks for the responses. I have heard a number of stories about clutch issues with the i20, though I'm told the i20 is the most refined of the three cars in terms of ride and handling.

I'm well aware of the outstanding reliability of the Honda's and Toyota's, I'm just not so confident with the Hyundai. I appreciate the comments and I suppose the £1000 saving is most likely two year's worth of petrol costs for the i20, so worth the gamble.

Appreciate if anyone else has a view, as I'm still undecided. The Hyundai does seem very good value for a decent sized-low mileage run around with warranty.

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - madf

Most Jazzes were sold new with a 4/5 year maintenance package.. Check. Well worth having.

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - KB.

Hello. Have had several Yaris's in the past, all from new (the first version in petrol, diesel and automatic guises). Have had a Jazz from new (a 2008 early shape CVT). Have had two i10's from new (a manual and an auto). Have had no experience of Honda customer service as I had no cause to speak to them...the car was faultless. Have no experience with Toyota customer service as all the cars were faultless (except a dodgy CD player needed which was swapped straight away). Have had a bucket load of experience with Hyundai customer service due to numerous issues on both cars. The transmission featured heavily on the first, manual, one as well as other problems. The second one, the auto, has had other (not transmission related) issues requiring major intervention by Hyundai Head Office. Remember my transmission on the 1200cc is the same as 1200cc i20's.

I hear you ask which of the three makes would I avoid like the plague in the future. I do believe I can hear you answer the question for me.

Remember Toyotas have five years warranty from 1st June 2010. Actually the Hyundai warranty package is ostensibly quite attractive as it includes 5 yrs breakdown cover with the RAC. The dealers aren't, in my opinion, as bad as the people at Head Office who administer the warranty but it's Head Office who decide what gets done and what doesn't. Having been there I'd buy something else...but it's your call. Hondas do tend to be a bit dearer...but, in life, there's usually a reason for most things. My incliination, looking at value as well as reputation, would be Toyota. There are excellent discounts at someone like Broker4cars - a broker which has been mentioned on here for years. Also Carfile and DrivetheDeal. Could you stretch to a new Yaris from B4C? Strikes me as the best option. Also, see if you could negotiate a servicing package at the outset. Usually good value if bought with the car.

Edited by KB. on 01/10/2013 at 17:32

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - Auristocrat

We and my sister/brother-in-law each bought a new i20 5 door one weekend at the end of April 2012. Both were the Comfort trim which came with bluetooth, etc.

Our i20 has done almost 7000 miles now, and hasn't put a foot wrong. Our car replaced a first generation Mazda 2.

My sister's car has done approx 12000, and they've just been to Germany in it for a holiday - full load of luggage, two bikes on roof mounted bike carriers, etc. Again, my sister's car has been trouble free. Both couples are really pleased with our i20's.

Although the i10/i20 share the same 1.2 engine and transmission, the i20 doesn't seem to have the same number of issues that the i10 had - perhaps it is due to the i10 being assembled in India for the European market, whereas for the European market, the i20 is assembled in Turkey. The new i10 (on sale in December) will also be built in Turkey for the European market. There were some clutch issues with i20's built around 2011.

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - daveyjp
OP £7k might get you in a facelifted i20 with 4 years left on the warranty.

Valid points, Auristocrat. Your personal experienceof the cars has been excellent therefore your report is helpful to the OP.... and you are correct re. your other points. And I'm sure the vast majority now find their i20's to be fine and they must, surely, have sorted the clutches out now....I know a bloke personally who has nothing but praise for his. But I spoke personally to the Head Technical Honcho at Hyundai about the clutches in question when he came to my home address to see, and drive, my car and it wasn't especially reassuring at the time. The Cust. Serv. Manager at Head Office was happy to dismiss me and my problems at the drop of a hat and had to be spoken to by 'Senior Hyundai Management' further up the chain of command following the Tech Manager's visit, in order to get her to change her mind and get my most recent issue fixed (in India, as it happens).

So I have less confidence than I would have with the others due to personal experience and would be reticent to give them more of my money in the hope that all went well with a new one.

Avant has good experience with the Hyundai brand, so would disagree with me (although, for some reason, he's never responded to any of the posts I've made whilst he's been a Mod).... but that's neither here nor there.

And I admit that my thoughts relate to new cars, not used ones and it could be that the Hyundai would be best for the OP if there are finacial restraints to prevent buying new.

Nothing much more to add...hope the OP gets sorted.

Edited by KB. on 01/10/2013 at 20:19

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - veloster

if these were new cars the hyundai looks like a winner,cheaper to buy and longer warranty,but these are second hand cars so condition and previous owners come into it,i have had 4 hyundais in the past and never had any problems with them.if it was me i would try all 3 and buy which one i like the best.

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - oldtoffee

I have a 2 and a bit year old Santa Fe. I've had 2 recalls and 2 warranty claims - all have been brilliantly handled by two main dealers and that includes 4 new alloy wheels which had just started to bubble just a tiny bit at 2 years and 45k miles. All four wheels replaced and two were kerbed, not a problem, nothing too much trouble. Compare this to the total rubbish experiences with my wifes Fiat 500 and my previous Passat and I won't be looking too far from Hyundai (maybe Kia) for our next cars.

Hyundai is now gone, so looking like choice between the Toyota & the Honda.

I'm getting conflciting views all over the place, though most reliability surveys place the Jazz top and the Yaris not far behind. Hyundai i20 takes a bit of a pasting in the reliability stakes.

Managed to drive the Toyota down to £5300, with 12 months tax, and a 1 year warranty.

For whatever reason, I'm more drawn to the Toyota and Honda. They just seem like better cars for reliability.

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - Rockvilla

I have a Mazda2, 08 plate. Great car, bit small for some but perfect for me.

Cheap insurance & tax and great MPG

I've given you my two p's worth...so would just suggest that you check to see if either or both have had their service book stamped...and by whom...and that the hard copy invoices for all the services are available as you might, just, get goodwill from the manufacturer (if any were needed) and the full service history would aid your case. I've heard instances, on the Hyundai forum, where warranty claims were declined because, whilst the book was stamped, the paper invoices for the services weren't available.....the argument being the stamps could be fraudulently generated and the invoices were required to corroborate the maintenance regime. Toyota after sales is, according to popular perception, better than most and the Honda and Toyota reputations are both good. But I guess you only have one way to find out for yourself, and that's to get one and see.

Edited by KB. on 03/10/2013 at 20:18

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - Avant

Nothing intentional KB - sorry if I missed a request for a reply.

Elder daughter had four 1.3 Yarises in a row, and did some high mileages in them - never a moment's trouble with any of them. She would have had a fifth, but the i10 was a lot less expensive and suits her needs just as well. After a year - touching wood - nothing has gone wrong.

I think Hyundai may have sorted out the transmission issues with the i10 by the time Olivia got hers last year.

To the OP - I think you'll be happier with a Yaris if you can find one with the 5-year warranty within your budget.

Bear in mind that the Toyota new car warranty extension to five years (peculiar to the UK - rest of Europe retain the 3 year/60,000 mile new car warranty) provides mechanical cover for an extra two years.

Surprised the OP is saying the Yaris in question has no warranty - the five year warranty was introduced in June 2010 (10 reg), and the Yaris is a 60 reg, so was first registered between September and December 2010. Unless the warranty has been voided for some reason - missing service or similar - the Yaris should still be within the 2 year warranty extension providing mechanical cover.

Hyundai i20 - Honda Jazz or Hyundai i20 or Toyota Yaris - daveyK_UK
they are all reliable cars provided you avoid the automatics.

I would go with whatever the best deal you can find.