Headlamp washers MOT fail - Galad

On HJ's Telegraph page there's a post from someone whose car failed the MOT due to a headlamp washer not working. I've noticed that most versions of the German marques (A4+, 5 Series+, and Mercs and Volvo-who think pioneered headlamp wipers and SAABs) have headlamp washer/wipers fitting as standard.

Why are the Germans and Scandavians so keen on this accessory? Volkswagen seem to shun this although a fair number of Seats and Skoda seem to include them. Are headlamp washers that effective? I understand that they only operate when the headlights are on.

Headlamp washers MOT fail - Hamsafar

They're a legal requirement on HID and LED headlamps, so they have to put prepararation in anyway, so what's another couple of nozzles, pump and pipe.

They aren't very affective IMHO. naybe they would be for mud.

Edited by Hamsafar on 29/09/2013 at 20:10

Headlamp washers MOT fail - RT

I have to say that the low-pressure washers plus wipers that Vauxhall fitted to it's upper models in the '80s were excellent at cleaning the headlights, far better than any high-pressure washers without wipers that I've used since - problem was that the Vauxhall wash-wipe was unreliable and soon stopped working.

Headlamp washers MOT fail - gordonbennet

Very effective if they have washers and small wipers fitted to sweep the lights, my MB has those, only as good as a rinse can be if they are simply jets without wipers and useless with dry muck splattered flies etc, difficult to see how you could have wipers on the head lights if plastic, they'd be scratched to useless in months.

had the same wipers and washers fitted to a Volvo lorry years ago, the problem is that they come on automatically every time you washed the screen if the headlights were on (same as my car) and on a mucky day you could empty the washer bottle of fluid in one day, so in practice i used to disconnect the headlamp washer pump, and without fail the mechanics would reconnect it every 6 weekly inspection.

By the way as an aside, and not wishing to divert the thread before its got going, i absolutely detest plastic headlights, give me real glass lenses any day...going to run my old MB till either i or it dies and not just for that reason.

Headlamp washers MOT fail - Smileyman

at one time I drove a Volvo 360, with proper headlamp wash wipers ... they were effective in cleaning the headlamp glass when driving in mucky conditions, exactly the same as when using the windscreen wash wipe - it was possible to see the image of the wiper blade move across the projected light on the ground as it wiped the glass.

Nowadays I have Xenon headlamps and the washer system is a pop out spray jet that operates every 5th wash when the headlights are on. Is it effective? I'm not sure, I think so but without the outline of the wiped area to compare it's harder to tell. So much for EU requirements they say it's top prevent dirt refracting the more powerful light in strange directions, however cars outside the EU don't need the washer system.

(Actually I'd like to see washer systems fitted to all cars, like in Sweden, so many motorists drive aroudn with dirty headlamps, the dirt does reduce the headlamp effectiveness)

Headlamp washers MOT fail - Engineer Andy

What happened to those wondrous materials that we saw on "Tommorrow's World" that meant that dirt never stuck to windows? I did also hear recently that some new "nano" material would do this job even better. Then there would never be the need to wash the lights, or the rest of the exterior if if could be made of it as well.

Headlamp washers MOT fail - martint123

What happened to those wondrous materials that we saw on "Tommorrow's World" that meant that dirt never stuck to windows?

www.pilkingtonselfcleaningglass.co.uk/

I guess more "non-stick" than self cleaning? as still needs water to wash the crud off