SUVs - Car Specification Options - clarijohn
My wife and I are elderly and she has severe mobility problems and we are looking for an SUV type car that has soft suspension (probably max 16" wheels), is automatic and, as we drive only about 7000 miles a year, a petrol engine. We have decided an SUV will probably best suit the need to carry my wife's walking aids.

I have tried several cars and my favourite so far is the KIA Carens but as with others I have looked at the available options seem to work against our requirements. For instance the top of the range Carens is not available as an automatic or with 16" wheels and the next down in the range is not available with SAT NAV. And no automatic model is available with a petrol engine.

I have also tried the Nissan Qashqai, Peugeot 3008, and Ford C Max and all of these have similar restrictions on the combination of options available. Can anybody recommend an SUV that has soft suspension and has a petrol/automatic engine option, please? Max price about £25k.

SUVs - Car Specification Options - Auristocrat
The Kia Carens is an MPV not SUV. The Kia Sportage is the equivalent to the Qashqai and the 3008. Again the C-Max is an MPV - the Ford SUV is the Puma.

You may be right though from my experience of driving them in the last few days they are comparable vehicles. Whatever it doesn't help my problem. I'm happy to consider either type of vehicle.

SUVs - Car Specification Options - 72 dudes

Take a look at the new Citroen C4 Picasso.

They are only just out so I'm not 100% of the engine/transmission options, but there is bound to be a petrol automatic under £25k

SUVs - Car Specification Options - dan86

FFordno longer make the puma witch was a small sports coupe I believe your thinking of the kuga.

SUVs - Car Specification Options - daveyjp
New B class is within your budget. B180 SE available with auto.
SUVs - Car Specification Options - gordonbennet

Subaru Forester 2.0 X model comes in under budget and i have no doubt that you could get the next model up (XS?) in budget too.

Possibly new model out so maybe a good time to get a bargin on the outgoing.

SUVs - Car Specification Options - Falkirk Bairn

Honda CRV 2 litre auto petrol EX has lots of toys but >£25K

Bob Gerard does Cypriot (UK Manufacture) for just over £25K

Pre reg UK EXs good discount sometimes available -mileage under 100 - look at autotrader

Or buy a lesser model and buy a tom-tom

Bob Gerard

tinyurl.com/kjne3x9

Many thanks for these suggestions I'll look into them all.

SUVs - Car Specification Options - Mike H

My parents have a Peugeot Partner (aka Citroen Berlingo). The driver's seat is the right height for him to just slide into with no bending required, other than a normal sitting motion, nor does he have to climb in as he would with a higher car. He has problematic knees, one of which has been replaced, but he finds it exceptionally easy to get into. Not strictly an SUV, but might suit you.

Edited by Mike H on 27/09/2013 at 23:38

SUVs - Car Specification Options - gordonbennet

Quite agree with you Mike H, lost count of the number of dealers who told me they could have sold automatic Berlingos by the dozen, indeed if Berlingo 1 had come with a proper auto in the 2 litre Diesel i'd have had one like a shot.

They put the proper auto box in the almost identical (underneath) Picasso 1 with a petrol engine and in the rare 'Lounge' model of C4 Picasso again with petrol engine so it definately fits.

Berlingo/Partner is a very comfortable vehicle to ride in, soaks up our third world road road surfaces better than nearly anything else.

Unfortunately the auto which is now at last available is the automated manual gearbox from hell, not available with the petrol engine its not a type of box i would ever recommend to anyone, least of all our OP and his lady wife.

SUVs - Car Specification Options - Mike H

Berlingo/Partner is a very comfortable vehicle to ride in, soaks up our third world road road surfaces better than nearly anything else.

Unfortunately the auto which is now at last available is the automated manual gearbox from hell, not available with the petrol engine its not a type of box i would ever recommend to anyone, least of all our OP and his lady wife.

I didn't research the engine/gearbox options I admit!

I refrained from actually recommending the Partner/Berlingo, as it's a vehicle I personally couldn't live with. I've driven my father's a few times, in town and on the open road, and it's just not my cup of tea. It may be comfortable on the motorway, but it's too wobbly on corners and crashy over poor surfaces for me. Pleasant 1.6 90bhp HDi engine, but that's about it! Awful sharp brakes as well, making it difficult to drive smoothly.

But my 81-year old father loves it, mainly for it's versatility (the height makes it easy to stow a mobility scooter) and it's ease of access.