Any - Car for Daughter - davecooper

My daugter has just passed her test and is looking to buy her first car. She has a three year old son so a five door is essential. She wants something very small and seems set on either a Peugeot 107 or a Citroen C1. She will be doing some motorway driving so needs an engine suitable for this. Her budget is around £5k. I am pretty unfamiliar with both of these cars so would be grateful for any advice.

Any - Car for Daughter - daveyjp
We had an Aygo for 6 years. Small, cheap to run and despite only having a 1.0 engine it wasn't phased by motorways, a very flexible gearbox helps in this regard.

The downside with motorway was mpg really went downhill if you decided to do 70ish. At 60 it would do 60mpg, at 70-80 40s. It is also light, so in heavy winds it can get blown around.

At 6 years old ours was getting a few electrical gremlins and it was leaking, not an issue with C1/107. Water pump was a weak point and early clutch failure was a problem, but both should have been improved by about 2008.

If you do go for one aircon is well worth having. Being small condensation in winter is a problem, aircon prevents it.

Some models don't have remote locking.
Any - Car for Daughter - Chris M

C1/107/Aygo is the ideal car. Cheap insurance too for a new driver. Very happy with our 2010 C1 VTR+ and your budget is just right.

Any - Car for Daughter - Dabooka

C1/107/Aygo is the ideal car. Cheap insurance too for a new driver. Very happy with our 2010 C1 VTR+ and your budget is just right.

I agree with the above, my pal's C1 is a cracking little box on wheels. As long as she's not doing 40 mile commutes she'll be fine with the odd motorway blast

Any - Car for Daughter - daveyjp
Be wary with insurance, it may not be as low as you think for a group 1/2. Our i20 is cheaper than the Aygo despite being 7 groups higher.
Any - Car for Daughter - Bromptonaut

My daughter's boyfriend has had one (107 version) since 2007. Nice enough to ride in even in the back and Miss B reports it to be an OK drive as well. They went to and all the way round the Outer Hebrides in it, with tent etc, a couple of years ago. Boot is pretty tiny if rear seat is in place but will still take a folded Brompton Bike or a few squishy travel bags. More than can be said for some Corsa versions.

The 3cylinder engine has an odd rasping note when pushed. Some might love it, others not. Small tank and fuel consumption rising rapidly with speed menas it needs frequent fill ups on longer trips.

Any - Car for Daughter - Bobbin Threadbare

I agree with the above, my pal's C1 is a cracking little box on wheels. As long as she's not doing 40 mile commutes she'll be fine with the odd motorway blast

Thirded!

My mum has run an Aygo for 6/7 years now, and it has been a great little car. £20 VED, low insurance and cheap as chips to run.

Any - Car for Daughter - gordonbennet

Agreed, the only thing at motorway speeds is that there is a lot of road noise, and most of it comes from the rear end where there is no sound insulation whatsoever over the wheelarches and round the boot floor and side panels (as with many modern cars).

A couple of hours work and £30 worth of self adhesive soundproofing transforms this, i have done so to the family Aygo as well as one or two other cars, the difference is amazing.

Apart from easily improved road noise its a cracking little car, cheap parts and mega cheap tyre size, but get one with aircon there is a lot of glass involved.

Any - Car for Daughter - brum

I'd like to hear where you can get effective sound proofing for 30 quid.

Ebay, if you want some i can hopefully find the seller on my history, roughly £30 was enough to make a decent job of the tiny Aygo rear end and wheelarches where all the noise comes from, also enough to put a pad under each front door skin and two pads left over.

If you're being picky and don't really want to proof you're own car please don't put me to the trouble to find it.

I'd be interested GB. I've seen products on ebay, but some appear very cheap and you have to wonder what the quality is like. A recommendation is always helpful.

Attn Chris M.

Ebay item 271280863285

Self adhesive insulation/soundproofing pads, these are the same as the ones i bought and from this seller, cut to shape, have done the job well.

I shall start a quick new thread about this, it might be useful to some.

Thanks GB. Much appreciated.

Any - Car for Daughter - carr

Take a look at the Fiat Panda before making a final choice. It's 5 doors , I think the interior is nicer that the 107/C1 and offers similar fuel economy

The 1.2 petrol probably offers the best price/performance match.

Any - Car for Daughter - retgwte

yes fiat panda is a much better car for this use

or hyundai i10

we had a panda for 3 years it was brilliant

Any - Car for Daughter - unthrottled

No one feeling any love for the Corsa? Get past the Scally Wagon stereotype and you have a cheap, well built and fairly rugged little car. The 1.2 twinport is quite a refined and willing engine.

No one feeling any love for the Corsa? Get past the Scally Wagon stereotype and you have a cheap, well built and fairly rugged little car. The 1.2 twinport is quite a refined and willing engine.

They're horrible! I learnt to drive in one and it was distinctly unpleasant. Also I've seen one in a crash - 25mph crash and it crumpled like a tissue.

Any - Car for Daughter - A3 A4

Its meant to - crumple zones? Its no worse than any other car of its year or size, better in some respects.

My OH had two, a 1.8 SRi which was awful but quick (suspension too hard) and then a 1.2 SXi which covered 80k trouble free miles in 5 years, an excellent engine, easy and cheap to fix and extreamly reliable, and many standing the test of time, there are still plenty of pre 2000 examples still on the road.

Sadly as far as Vauxhalls go many who can't think for thenselves have been inspired by the Jeremy Clarkson fountain of knowledge.

Its meant to - crumple zones? Its no worse than any other car of its year or size, better in some respects.

My OH had two, a 1.8 SRi which was awful but quick (suspension too hard) and then a 1.2 SXi which covered 80k trouble free miles in 5 years, an excellent engine, easy and cheap to fix and extreamly reliable, and many standing the test of time, there are still plenty of pre 2000 examples still on the road.

Sadly as far as Vauxhalls go many who can't think for thenselves have been inspired by the Jeremy Clarkson fountain of knowledge.

Yes thank you, I do understand that crumple zones exist, I just wasn't expecting to see quite such a write-off for such a low speed impact. Like I said, I found the Corsa I learnt in rather horrid to drive; nasty gearbox and it didn't corner very nicely, expecially compared to the Focus I was practising in alongside the Corsa.

Any - Car for Daughter - corax

They're horrible! I learnt to drive in one and it was distinctly unpleasant. Also I've seen one in a crash - 25mph crash and it crumpled like a tissue.

Agreed. I must have seen more Corsa's on their roof in police programmes than any other car. You might say 'Yes, but they're more likely to be driven by young idiots with all that implies', but I drove one as a courtesy car, threw it round a few corners and it really didn't inspire confidence. Horrible chassis. I can see how they might let go with a sudden change in direction.

This was the older model, the new shape might be different.

Any - Car for Daughter - injection doc
We're on our third C1 for our daughters. They have been fab and trouble free, our first one lasted 6 years with just tyres, wiper blade, set of front pads and an indicator bulb.
We used to get 60 + and 72 if we drive like a nun and still used to get 50 mpg when cruising on a motorway at 80 .
All of ours have been 5 door models and have been fab and soooooo much better that a corsa.
They are fun to and very light to drive and quite spritely as well.
It was the only car that was cheap enough for our daughters to insure and with zero road tax and 60+ mpg they have been the best all rounders to run on a budget.

This was the older model, the new shape might be different.

Yes I have not had a go in a newer model, but then again probably never will as little cars like that aren't my thing!

Any - Car for Daughter - KenMavor

I have a Fiat Grande Punto 1.2 for my daughter to learn to drive in.

Good looking, good MPG., can be had with 4 dours and a 1.4 engine if needed. Drives very well and easy and cheap to fix......underneath a lot of parts shared with Corsa.

Insurance was cheap as well.