New Car for Under £12k - Shinkiro

My first car, a 2002 Vauxhall Corsa just died so I'm in need of a replacement. Even before it died I was searching for a new one but the situation has accelerated the need for a new car.

For my next car, I ideally would like to get a new or at least almost new condition car. It would mostly be used for town driving with the occasional motorway drive a handful of times a year. The mileage would be relatively low at around 5000 miles a year, on average less than 10 miles per day.

My requirements are that I plan to keep the car for a long time, so it has to be reliable, cheap to run, 5-doors and boot space is important. It also has to handle relatively well. I'd ideally like it to be either new, or almost new, so either ex-demo/pre-reg or one previous owner less than a year old will do.

I had been mainly looking at the Suzuki Swift, Hyundai i20 or the Ford Fiesta. Each has their pros and cons. The Swift handles very well, offers a lot of features for the price,but has a really small boot. The i20 also offers a lot for the price but the handling is really not that responsive. The Fiesta seems to tick a lot of the boxes, but unless I can aggresively haggle down, comes way over budget at around £13.5k.

I'm sure there's plenty of other cars in my price range but I'm a little overwhelmed with the options I have so if anyone can recommend a car for the budget, I would appreciate it.

New Car for Under £12k - madf

One year old Jazz: lots of them and great space.

tinyurl.com/pvl38p7

New Car for Under £12k - Bobbin Threadbare

£12k gets you a 13 plate Fiesta with very few miles on the clock. There are a good many on Autotrader. Even dropping down to £9k gets you a 61 plate.

New Car for Under £12k - Chris M

The Jazz example looks a little too keenly priced for the age/spec.?

"Accidental" typo perhaps or is the clue towards the end of the add "ALL CARS ARE HPI CHECKED AND WARRANTED MILEAGE INSURANCE CATEGORY D"?

Edited by Chris M on 15/09/2013 at 10:59

New Car for Under £12k - Falkirk Bairn

>>The Jazz example looks a little too keenly priced for the age/spec.

Way under priced. 1.4 EX is a lot more when you see other adverts for age/mileage etc

£10-£12K will buy a brand new "old model" Note - well specced n-tec models

PRe-reg - lots on Autotrader from dealers all over the country 1.4/1.6(man & auto), 1.5 diesels

New Car for Under £12k - mary5
Was in the same position as you...needed new car fairly quickly, similar mileage to you, similar budget...to replace old Yaris. Looked at usual culprits...narrowed it down to ex-demo Jazz 1.2 or Yaris 1.3TR. Ended up going for another Yaris, new, got £1500 off list price with a handful of extras thrown in- plus 5 year warranty and 0% finance helped to sway. Picking it up next week. It came down to best deal for us in the end. Good luck.
New Car for Under £12k - fray bentos

Was also looking for similar car as current peugeot about to prematurly expire! Wanted new audi a1 or polo but was quoted 4 months waiting! However, although not my ideal vehicle, local Toyota dealer had pre reg yaris tr for £2k off list, and offered good px on the pug,Tempting but same dealer also had 13 plate (4miles only) yaris tr metallic, reverse camera etc. for £10495 which i bought yesterday for £10k, about £4000 off list!

Did I do ok?

New Car for Under £12k - mary5
Sounds good....we would have preferred to go for that option but with the sudden demise of previous yaris (courtesy of son!) the 0%finance played a big part -you can offset the new cost with extras, which does help to soften the blow of paying for new. In the end there wasn't too much in it. Lots of deals to be had out there. The Jazz we were looking at were 13 plate at just under £10k. If you are in two minds about which car to get you can play one off against another to get better value. It helped us that the honda garage was across the road and that was our other choice.
New Car for Under £12k - barney100

New cars are nice but not a good investment, unless you have your heart set on a new one probably makes more sense to buy a nearly new that has taken the financial new car hit.

New Car for Under £12k - brum

Skoda Fabia 1,2SE on offer at the moment at £8995, or in estate form with the better 1.2Tsi engine at £9995. Bear in mind that the Fabia is replaced with a new model next year, but which car doesnt get updated? Have a look and you'll be surprised how much room they have inside compared to those poky superminis you mentioned.

Edited by brum on 15/09/2013 at 16:44

New Car for Under £12k - Avant

Financially, Barney's point makes perfect sense. But there is still some sense in buying new: you can look after it in your own way and you will get the full length of the warranty. There's also the risk in buiying nearly-new that someone has sold the car because they haven't liked it or have had trouble with it (which of course you won't be told).

If space is crucial the Fabia is a good suggestion; the Yaris will come with a 5-year warranty which may appeal. If you go for the Yaris, the 1.3 is worth the extra if you can get a good deal as Mary has.

New Car for Under £12k - retgwte

swift is good, i20 is good, mazda 3 is also a good choice

fiesta no thanks

look at the prices on drivethedeal etc, dont just talk to dealers

Edited by retgwte on 15/09/2013 at 19:17

New Car for Under £12k - retgwte

meant mazda 2 :)

New Car for Under £12k - bazza

Have to agree with Barney above, but do you really have to have brand new? You can save yourself literally thousands by choosing nearly new, for example at my nearest car supermarket you can have an i20 Active 2013 reg for £7999 or a 2013 reg Fiesta 1.0 Turbo Zetec for under £11k. Think about it!