Citroen C5 - Suspension Spheres - pinheadplanet

Hi

How long should sheres last?

I bought a 2008 C5 Exclusive and found the ride quality to be crap compared to my Mk 1, what happens is on uneven roads the car pitches from side to side which means you do too, it's like being on a boat, anyway Citroen have said that it needs 4 new spheres all round. It's done 48k, is that about right?

Funny thing is when I spoke to the mechanic and he told my spheres were gone I asked "so did the diagnostic machine identify that?" to which he replied "No, you can tell just by pressing up and down on the corners of the car". So if he identified that by pushing up and down on the suspension for 10 secs what the hell was i paying an hours labour for, for it to go on the diagnostics machine??? Anyway let's leave that aside as it's getting done under warranty.

thanks

Citroen C5 - Suspension Spheres - Peter.N.

I don't have any experience of the late C5 but I have had a couple of the earlier ones and still have one. This pitching from side to side I have had with both cars but mostly on really rough road surfaces and I think it as because the anti roll bars are to thick. I ran XMs for 15 years and CXs before that and they both had a better ride than the C5 although by modern standards the C5 is good.

I have replaced all the spheres on my current one and although the ride has improved the pitching is still there. If the spheres are good you should be able to bounce each corner at the rear about 4"- 6" and at the front somewhat less but at least 2 - 3".

Citroen C5 - Suspension Spheres - Bromptonaut

I'd have said five years/50k is about right for sphere life.

Just got rid of my 2000/X Xantia estate.Original spheres were replaced in 2007-8 and replacements were completely shot. Front and rear so firm that ride was dangerous. I'd foolishly ignored a couple of instances where it had handled oddly under emergency braking. When I finally took it in garage gave me strong advice to nurse it home and not drive it again. New car was already on order and Xant had other problems such that it went for scrap.

Best replace spheres when they start to go west as they can be exchanged or re-gassed.

Let them go to far and they're scrap.