2010 S-Max 2.0 Powershift - Ford admits fault after warranty expires ! - Dekz43

Hi all, this quite a long story but will keep it short as possible.

I bought this vehicle from Ford direct in April 2011, Ford dealership gave the vehicle its first service before I took delivery, it has since been serviced by independent garages, the vehicle has been great til May this year when the automatic gearbox intermittently started to slip on pulling away from junctions and sometimes at high speeds as it changed up. I took the vehicle back to Ford dealership and said to them that this fault is intermittent but they said they would take a look. Ford dealership road tested and checked electrical systems but 'no faults found' was all they could tell me. I returned vehicle again a week or 2 later with same problems and they said Ford Technical told them to change gearbox oil and filter (£205.00) as it was coming up to 3 yrs old (July 16th). Vehicle taken but fault returns a couple of weeks later, go back to Ford dealership who say Ford Technical told them to do a gearbox 'software update'. Vehicle taken again but fault returns after warranty expires (July 16th). I take the car back to Ford dealership and they take another look and get back in touch with Ford Technical. I was told that the fault lies within the control unit of the gearbox but Ford have said they will not cover costs because vehicle out of warranty. Dealership says they can replace this unit for £1400 less10% 'goodwill'. The gearbox had done 19,000 miles when I first took it to them. Do I have a leg to stand on here? I have spoken to independent transmission rebuilders and they were amazed that Ford Technical didn't know about issues with these getrag gearboxes as they been replacing the control units and the dual clutch systems for some time, Dekz43.

If interested the gearbox is a Getrag 6DCT450 / Ford MPS6

2010 S-Max 2.0 Powershift - Ford admits fault after warranty expires ! - madf

The fault existed when the vehicle was in warranty. Have you proof?

If so, Ford have failed to repair it under warranty - despite given opportunity to do so.

They are therfore liable to repair it , now they know the cure.

If they refuse, Small Claims Court...

2010 S-Max 2.0 Powershift - Ford admits fault after warranty expires ! - Dekz43

thanks for your reply, I dont have physical proof other than the fact I continued to return the car a number of times because of this problem, its intermittent nature makes it hard. The problem described to Ford Technical by the dealership hasn't changed from the start, Dekz

2010 S-Max 2.0 Powershift - Ford admits fault after warranty expires ! - xtrailman

The problem has been reported on the caravan forum i use caravantalk, its not just ford either but vag boxes from what i've read, along with Volvo.

Most owners put up with it.

2010 S-Max 2.0 Powershift - Ford admits fault after warranty expires ! - xtrailman

This is one such post, also has a link to HJ.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/86899-next-tow-car-ford-galaxy-litre-auto-diesel/

2010 S-Max 2.0 Powershift - Ford admits fault after warranty expires ! - greenhey

I agree that Ford are liable.

You reported the faut well within the warranty period, but they failed to diagnose it properly.

Indeed you would be entitled to claim that this failure on their part has put you to inconvenience, expense and lost time, and that they owe you something for that also.

2010 S-Max 2.0 Powershift - Ford admits fault after warranty expires ! - gordonbennet

I agree that Ford are liable, however i wouldn't be holding me breath waiting for them to deal with the problem honourably or voluntarily, you might have to be prepared to get nasty and legal to get any positive response.