Audi Q7 - Tyres - RJE
My almost new Q7 has picked up a nail in the rear drivers side tyre. I have been advise by Audi that we must replace all four tyres as the 4x4 system will not function correctly with one of tyre treads having a different depth to the other three. The cost, a mighty twelve hundred pounds! Is this the most expensive puncture on record? Lets hope this very sensitive motor never has to go off road!
Audi Q7 - Tyres - gordonbennet

Get it repaired.

Not by your local tyre fitting shop who can only do the simplest cold cure work, by a proper professional tyre repair workshops who will do it properly if it can be done.

Alternatively and if its not repairable at all have a quick ebay to see if you can find a used tyre to match the other three, you can't be the only person to have found themselves in this situation.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - daveyjp
How much tread is on the other three?
Audi Q7 - Tyres - RJE
Can't say exactly, but the mileage is just over 5000, so there has to be 80% left!
Audi Q7 - Tyres - artill

This at worst is a con, and at best just stupid. Each axel had a differential to allow wheels to travel at slightly different speeds, how else could it get around a corner?, so the very slight difference in circumferance between a new and slightly warn tyre wont make the slightest differece.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Avant

I've never heard of this before, and it sounds as if someone is trying to pull the wool over your eyes - and failing. I'm sure that in an ideal world a 4x4 system works best with all tyres having the same depth of tread - and common sense suggests that it won't work well if some tyres are new, some well-worn - but I can't believe that you should have to jettison three newish tyres if the puncture can't be repaired. Does the car's handbook have anything to say on this?

if in doubt, ask an independent tyre dealer: people like Thamesview Tyres of Henley or Tyranis Tyres of Woodley, both local to me, will give you advice.

Edited by Avant on 07/09/2013 at 01:03

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Smileyman

Did they sell you a spare with the car?

Was this message shared with you before you made your purchase - either by salesman or in the brochure?

Is the 4x4 system so weak it cannot cope?

How ecologically sound is a vehicle that needs 3 good tyres to be destroyed to keep them all even?

Excellence through technology indeed.

More main dealer grade 1 BS. I could understand if the others were at 2-3mm, but in any event at that level a change isn't such a bad thing, but if the others are almost new absolutely no need.
Audi Q7 - Tyres - Collos25

its not BS all large VAG 4wd have to have equal wear on the tyres or the electonic traction does not work properly I found this out through test driving a secondhand one with three worn tyres and one new one needless to say I did not buy it.One point you can buy your tyres much much cheaper if you shop around,

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Dodge49

I share the concerns already given. But if it is necessary to change all 4 tyres I would keep and store the 3 good tyres to use if you get another puncture in the near future. I think it is better to store tyres in a dark place out of the sun.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Simon

Surely even tyre wear can't be critical on such a modern 4x4. What about fitting a new pair to just one axle?

Audi Q7 - Tyres - RJE
I have done just that, I rejected the "advice" of Audi and replaced the two tyres on the same axle. Just waiting to see the out come. Even so this is a huge financial burden given the condition of UK roads.
Audi Q7 - Tyres - Ed V

Wish I had the spare cash to place your story in a full page ad in the national papers. Audi really do appear to treat their customers as idiots, rather than just looking as though they would.

I find visiting Audi shwrooms akin (I imagine) to walking up the gangway onto a mafia mogul's yatch berthed in the Med. About as unwelcoming as its gets.

Audi used to be a classy Beemer; where did they go wrong?

Audi Q7 - Tyres - RJE
My thought too, but there no use at all. If we have to remove them because they will cause an in balance with the 4x4 traction control then using them as replacements won't work as yet again the depth of tread is unlikely to be unequal to the tread on the other tyres.
As I stated potentially a problem if three are at 2mm and you fit a new chunky 4x4 tyre. But on an almost new car the wear on the other tyres will be 1-2mm, hardly enough to put the 4x4 into meltdown mode.

OP. If you have hours on our hands read a few threads on the same issue with Subarus!
Audi Q7 - Tyres - Happy Blue!

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Happy Blue!
As I stated potentially a problem if three are at 2mm and you fit a new chunky 4x4 tyre. But on an almost new car the wear on the other tyres will be 1-2mm, hardly enough to put the 4x4 into meltdown mode. OP. If you have hours on our hands read a few threads on the same issue with Subarus!

I had three Subarus and never replaced four tyres at once. Never had a problem.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - RJE
No mention of this at the point of sale. Guess this must be Audi's best kept secret!
Audi Q7 - Tyres - Cyd

As an ex automotive engineer from a certain Midlands 4x4 manufacturer, I have to say that in my opinion, if what I read above is true and that the 4x4 system really is so sensitive it can't cope with one tyre (or two?) having different tread depth than the others, then that is a HUGE and MONUMENTAL engineering faux pas on Audis part.

I'd go so far as to say it makes the vehicle not fit for purpose (imo).

Another thing: it's usual for front and rear tyres to wear at different rates on most vehicles. Would this not be the case with a Q7? How does it cope with this difference?

You should raise merry hell with your dealer principle and ask to see official documentary evidence of this. And if true ask why you weren't warned about this situation prior to purchase. It isn't unusual to pick up a puncture in one tyre and to have to replace that tyre.

This story is either utterly bonkers or it's a wind up.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Hamsafar

Read the handbook, it explains it all in there.

The dealer have paraphrased/eggagerated it.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Simon

Did you retain the 'good' and/or the punctured tyre? If not them I am sure they will have made a nice little profit selling them on.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - RJE
It's not a wind up, try calling the service dept of your local Audi dealer, tell them you have a flat and see what they say, I would be interested to hear the response.
Audi Q7 - Tyres - Avant

As Hamsafar says, I'm sure it's all in thre handbook.

RJE, would you have a moment to summarise for people's information what the handbook says? I'm guessing that it warns against a mixture of new and well-worn tyres, not what you've got.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Sulphur Man

Is yours the 4.2TDI Q7? One of those torquey whales, on 20" rims, has a tyre life of approx. 12000 miles per set.

Works out at £10,000 of tyres for 100K of motoring.......

Audi Q7 - Tyres - unthrottled

One of those torquey whales, on 20" rims, has a tyre life of approx. 12000 miles per set.

I'd be surprised if they made five figures before renewal. At 5000 miles there'll be be much less than 80% tread left.

Just changing tyres on one axle would not be any problem if the thing was 2 wheel drive if the ESP/ABS was set up to allow for a large deviation in tyre sizes unfortunately this beast is not and a deviation of I think more than 2 mm will cause all sorts of problems in the future.As someone correctly said its not mentioned when your in the saleroom.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - coopshere

Surely if you can afford to buy and maintain this type of vehicle you can afford a new set of tyres. Never ceases to amaze me how people buy exotic machinery then complain how much it costs to run. More money than sense and/or lack of research before buying.

Whilst a typical Q7 owner probably can afford a new set of tyres, thats not really the OP's original point.

There's SUVs of comparable cost (and greater) which dont suffer this apparent problem - LR Discovery being an obvious example.

The next question must surely be, are Q5 and Q3 Quattro models similarly afflicted? Or is is just the Q7? And if so, why?

Audi Q7 - Tyres - RJE
There's a huge difference between being able to afford something and being ripped off. As for seeking advise before purchasing the vehicle, quite frankly after forty years of motoring, this particular question would never have entered my head. The entire concept of replacing multiple tyres for a single puncture is utterly alien to me.

Volvo had the same or similar problem on their 4 wheel drive models in fact it ripped the middle diff out.

Just did a rough calculation, assuming a set of 20" tyres on a 4.2TDI Q7 wear out every 10000 miles, the cost of tyres is approx. 50% the cost of the fuel it uses

That is exploitative engineering, frankly.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - SteveLee

With Some Subaru models they advise changing all four tyres if you suffer a puncture beyond a certain wear limit.

In the handbook of my old Jag XJR they recommended changing the rear tyres as a pair to save wear on the Limited Slip Diff.

Many modern cars will suffer with erratic - less efficient ASC systems if you have one massively different rolling radius tyre. As systems become more sensitive, the more things like relative rolling radius matters.

Audi Q7 - Tyres - Bill2015

I have just had my tyres replaced and have gone for the General Grabbers 295/35/21 from Market Tyres in Southend for £151.02 each Tel 01702 343165 good to find an independent that dosn't rip you off