Vauxhall Astra - Who's responsible ? - mayfield4

Hello there,

I recently had a brand new engine fitted to my Astra. The original one met with an early death after the oil pump failed and i didn't get a warning light - the engine totally shattered inside.

Anyway, i paid a reputable garage £3500 to supply and fit a BRAND NEW engine, which they acquired direct from Vauxhall. The other day, i noticed the car juddering and it wasn't being very reponsive when i hit the accelerator. I took it back to the garage, they said coil pack and spark plugs needed placing, and said it would be £230 including labour.

They've now called me back saying that even though they've fitted the new coil and plugs, the problem hasn't gone away - and there is no power coming from my 3rd cylinder, ie its failed. I'm a bit worried now that i'll get stuck in the middle of a dispute between Vauxhall and the garage. The new engine worked fine for 2000 miles, so can it be down to bad workmanship from the garage that has led to this, or is it simply a faulty engine and Vauxhall have to replace it under warranty?

Any advice greatly welcome. Thank you.

Edited by mayfield4 on 05/09/2013 at 15:31

Vauxhall Astra - Who's responsible ? - gordonbennet

Not your problem, you paid the garage to source and fit an engine, the garage is responsible to put it right.

Had you sourced your own parts (as people do to save pennies) then you would indeed be between a rock and hard place as the two suppiers would pass the buck.

If the garage have trouble getting a replacement from ''Vauxhall'' under warranty then my rat sensitive nose would be twitching...still not your problem.

Vauxhall Astra - Who's responsible ? - mayfield4

Thanks gordonbennett.

The garage have now said that Vauxhall have asked to take the car away and inspect it themselves, so i'm guessing this is where they'll either agree the new engine was a lemon, or they'll say that the garage haven't fitted it properly and are to blame. But you are confident that no matter what, the ultimate accountability lies with the garage as they sourced and fitted the engine and they took my money?

Hmm. Dunno why, but i've got awful vibes about this whole situation. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Vauxhall Astra - Who's responsible ? - gordonbennet

Yes in my humble its no different than you buying something from a shop, they supplied the goods, the goods are faulty, down to them to sort it or as in this case replace or repair it.

Funnily enough though i have vibes too, i just hope this is a genuine Vauxhall supplied engine and its being collected by and examined by the Vauxhall (presumably) dealer.

So glad you paid them so supply and fit.

Vauxhall Astra - Who's responsible ? - MrDanno

I think you need to know more, Are the garage saying there is no compression(or insufficient) in cylinder 3?

While a misfire is often the lack of a spark, It can also be the lack of compression or lack of fuel (injector or wiring fault).

If it is a compression fault and the engine is new then it should be replaced for free. However, any other reason could well be chargeable to you.