VW Golf GT TDi Sport 2008 - VW Golf GT TDi ECU Fault - Madpants

My Golf wouldn't start in the mornings (although will start later in the day) and i took it into a local (non VW) garage for diagnostic. They told me it was a camshaft sensor fault, and in order to get to the camshaft sensor, they would have to remove the timing belt. They advised me that the timing belt should be changed, as the car is 4 years old and they don't reccommend re-using a timing belt. I called a VW garage to check that this was the correct advice and they agreed that the timing belt should also be changed. The starting fault remained and i decided to get VW to do the diagnostic (at a further cost of £70). They told me that the ECU had a fault and would have to be replaced at a cost of £1250.

Surely it is not the norm for a 58 plate Golf with 49k on the clock to require a new ECU?

Any advice greatly received

VW Golf GT TDi Sport 2008 - VW Golf GT TDi ECU Fault - gordonbennet

Have a look at BBA reman to get your ECU repaired, there are other people who can do this for you (i have sent two ECU's to the Isle of Wight for good quality repairs) but be careful, i've had experience of the so called service from one or two not so good.

Haven't looked but i believe HJ recommends BBA above somewhere, as does my MB workshops indy, a man not easily impressed.

Alternatively, and i would do this anyway, find a recommended competent VW indy workshops and get a second opinion, if they agree its the ECU then they will remove it for you and either get it repaired or hand it to you to get it done, will probably take 3 or 4 days and cost anything from £100 to £350 for the repair depending on whats wrong.

As i alluded to in the first sentence, be wary of very clever websites claiming expertise in this field, i could write a small book on my experiences of such.

VW Golf GT TDi Sport 2008 - VW Golf GT TDi ECU Fault - elekie&a/c doctor

I very much doubt if the ecu is faulty.If the diagnostic system keeps showing a cam sensor fault,then i would suspect a fault in the wiring.I have seen loads of engine sensor faults on these caused by wiring issues.hth

VW Golf GT TDi Sport 2008 - VW Golf GT TDi ECU Fault - Madpants

The camshaft sensor fault is no longer showing. If you can't rely on a VW main garage then who can you trust?!

VW Golf GT TDi Sport 2008 - VW Golf GT TDi ECU Fault - gordonbennet

If you can't rely on a VW main garage then who can you trust?!

You search hard and find that make specific indy workshops that never ever need to advertise, and enjoy the results and the money saved for years to come.

Main dealers do have form for simply throwing new parts at a problem till they eventually happen on a cure, good indies diagnose and mend where possible.

Edited by gordonbennet on 05/09/2013 at 09:51