Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - fracdemon

Dear Honest John,

I believe I am being given the runaround by my Audi dealer. My 2011 A5 is burning excessive amounts of oil. Right now, it's using around 1 litre per 1500 miles and getting slowly worse. I have been into the dealer twice for warranty repairs. The first time they adjusted an "oil separation valve" and this appeared to have fixed the problem - at least, according to the results of an oil consumption test they performed. The next time I brought it in (1600 miles after the oil consumption test) they refused to do anything, saying that this level of oil comsumption was normal in Audis, especially the A5. This is not the first Audi I have had and I disagree. I also think that this level of oil comsumption is not normal in any modern 2-year-old car with only 16,400 miles on the clock.

I have heard rumours of people getting engine replacements and rebuilds. I have also seem on your website a report from 2009 of a batch of faulty piston rings. Has anyone got first hand experience of this?

Can anyone offer me advice or share similar experiences?

Regards and thanks

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - craig-pd130

The owner's manual for the last Passat I had (a 2003 PD diesel) gave a figure for oil consumption, I seem to recall it stated that up to a litre every 1000km (about 350 miles per pint) is considered normal.

Do check your manual to see if there's anything similar.

When you took it to the dealer for warranty repairs, was it for anything else, or just the oil consumption?

The manual does quote high oil consumption - about the comsumption I am getting currently - and that is the excuse the dealer is using for not fixing the problem. Nowhere near as high as your Passat, however, which is acting like a 2-stroke......

In answer to your question, my car has now been into the dealership for no less than 7 warranty repairs, since I bought it new in May 2011. The last three times have been for this oil problem, during which this was the sole reason for bringing the car in.

Is this important?

Other warranty repairs include:-

Steering alignment - tracking was out when the car was delivered from the factory.

Fuel system electronics - shut the car down completely in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday afternoon. The car had to be recovered and carried back to the dealer. Don't get me started on the hassle I had getting a replacement car.......

Entertainment system - three failed attempts to fix a high-pitched distortion in the sound system. I have basically given up on this, as the dealer has admitted that they don't know how to fix it.

I will not be buying and Audi again.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - craig-pd130

The manual does quote high oil consumption - about the comsumption I am getting currently - and that is the excuse the dealer is using for not fixing the problem. Nowhere near as high as your Passat, however, which is acting like a 2-stroke......

In answer to your question, my car has now been into the dealership for no less than 7 warranty repairs, since I bought it new in May 2011. The last three times have been for this oil problem, during which this was the sole reason for bringing the car in.

Is this important?

No, I was just curious if any work had been done on the engine that might have caused a thirst for oil.

To be honest, if your oil consumption is within the parameters described in the manual, there's little you can do and I'm surprised the dealer has looked at it repeatedly.

As the car is over 2 years old, this may not help but it just might be worth a punt. Give the car a proper caning for an hour or two on open roads, with wide throttle openings and high loads wherever possible. The oil consumption is likely to be due to the piston rings in one or more cylinders not sealing properly against the cylinder wall. A prolonged 'Italian tune-up' might help them seat a bit better.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - skidpan

fracdemon, did you run the car in very carefully. If you did there is a slight chance you glazed the bores. Its not very common but if you baby an engine form new it can happen. Only way to diagnose and sort is a strip, rehone, new rings and rebuild. Glazed bores will lead to poor power, poor fule consumption and high oil consumption.

With a new car just drive normally from day one, just don't thrash it for the first 500 miles or labour it ever.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - 659FBE

As a (reluctant) VAG customer and having spent some of my career testing diesel engines, I could offer the following observations:

VAG are obsessed with the longest practicable service intervals consistent with warranty survival. Part of this misguided strategy is the use of an initial engine fill of fully synthetic oil. This can pose real problems for the bedding of piston rings to the honed bores, and gentle initial running on the inital fill risks high oil consumption thereafter due to bore glazing.

My AWX diesel engine was owned by a dealer for the first 20k or so miles, and was very likely thrashed and was certainly left with the initial oil fill. One might intuitively avoid such a car as a second hand purchase - but my experience suggests otherwise. The engine was clearly well run in.

Now at 70k miles, with an oil change at about every 7 - 10k miles, its oil consumption and general running are extremely satisfactory. I top it up with about 250cc of oil between changes and it would actually run to the full change interval without topping up, but for the fact that I never fill it to the top mark (another topic, perhaps).

Commercial diesels are nearly always run in on semi-synth oil to avoid this potential problem.

I have found VAG dealers to be amongst the most unrewarding bunch of people on the planet when dealing with this type of problem - time for divorce, I think. Buying the right engine from them is absolutely crucial - I have found quite a few lemons.

Edited by 659FBE on 03/09/2013 at 16:13

VAG are obsessed with the longest practicable service intervals consistent with warranty survival. Part of this misguided strategy is the use of an initial engine fill of fully synthetic oil.

This has applied to ALL new cars I have bought in the past 15 or more years although Ford did not use fully synthetic oil in their cars before DPF's. Mini, BMW, Kia and Seat all came with sumps factory filled with fully synthetic and the Mini, BMW and Kia never used a drop, the Seat has used none in 2000 miles..

The Fords I bought after 1999 came with sumps filled with semi-synthetic and the hand books warned that oil consumption could be higher than normal for the first 10000 miles while the engines bedded. On the Puma and Mondeo TDCi this was true, the Focus TDCi never used a drop. The Ford dealer we bought from said "drive it like you stole it".

My bedding in proceedure has always been to drive perfectly normally from day one but with no high revs or full throttle for the first 500 or so miles. I never let an engine labour but with a new engine I always vary my speed on motorways for the forst 500 miles or so.

My competition engines are/were always bedded in on mineral oil for the first 300 miles (changed at 100 miles) then moved onto cheapish semi synthetic for another 300 miles before being filled with the normal high quality oil I am using at the time. They are never babied and the revs are gradually increased along with the throttle openings. These engines are built looser than production engines to speed the bedding in process plus they do not need to do 200,000 miles but oil consumption has still been reasonable, perhaps a couple of litres in 2000 miles.

If people would only read the manual and perhaps dealers gave better info on collection then owners would find fewer issues later in a cars life. As you said, cars driven harder like the one used by a dealer or high mileage rep have fewer problems.

fracdemon, did you run the car in very carefully. If you did there is a slight chance you glazed the bores. Its not very common but if you baby an engine form new it can happen. Only way to diagnose and sort is a strip, rehone, new rings and rebuild. Glazed bores will lead to poor power, poor fule consumption and high oil consumption.

With a new car just drive normally from day one, just don't thrash it for the first 500 miles or labour it ever.

Skidpan,

I just drove the car normally, as per their instructions. I certianly didn't baby it in anyway, but it's also true that I am not a particularly agressive driver.

I haven't noticed poor power nor poor fuel consumption.

One of the previous relies in the chain suggested an "Italian tune-up". Your thoughts?

To be honest though, my main reason for raising this is to try to gather some ammunition to get the dealer to fix the problem, rather than attempting some remedies myself

Regards

Latest update as of yesterday.

After calling the dealer once again they have agreed to bring the car back in for another oil comsumoption check, under thw warranty. What they wanted to do was bring it in and check the software, drain and refill the oil, run it for 1000 kms, then drain and emasure the oil again. They wanted to do the 1000 kms in my car, during which I would get a replacement (again, under the warranty).

If they are prepared to go to this expense - rather than dismissing my problem out of hand - then perhaps this tells us something? Perhaps there is an inherent problem, in spite of what the manual says, and right now they are trying to tick all the boxes before proceeding to an engine rebuild?

I accepted the oil comsumption work, but declined their offer of a replacement car. If anyone is going to do 1000 kms in my car, it's going to be me.......

Perhaps I may try your Italian tune-up.....

Perhaps I may try your Italian tune-up.....

Not my Italian tune up.

Thrashing the living daylights out of the car once a week "may" have had benefits in the days of carburettors, points, clockwork distributors and poor fuel but in these days of high quality fuels and digitally managed engines it will do no good at all. You don't get carbon build up like you did years ago. In the handbook for my first car there were instructions how to carry out a top end decoke, the recomended interval was 30,000 miles. You are luck to get that type of info in a haynes manual nowadays.

A few hundred yards at high revs is not going to repair an engine.

All an italian tune up will do is waste fuel.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - unthrottled

Are we sure that the oil is escaping past the rings? There are many potential areas for oil to escape from, not just worn rings!

Are we sure that the oil is escaping past the rings? There are many potential areas for oil to escape from, not just worn rings!

To be honest, all I really know is that it is being burned by the engine, as there is no oil in the engine compartment nor on my driveway. Problematic piston rings is simply something that came up as Audi have a history of problems with them. My dealer even admitted that they had significant problems in the past with a "bad batch" of them.

If anyone has experience of different oil comsumption problems with Audis, I would be interested to hear about them.

I think my biggest issue is that Audi claim this kind of comsumption is "normal". I feel badly let down by both this and the other problems I have had with the car. Also, the build quality is quite a bit below my expectations - I feel that I paid BMW or Mercedes prices, but did not get the same quality.

As much as I like the look and feel of the A5 - and it is a great-looking car, no mistake - I will not be buying an Audi again.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - tonupkid

I bought a 2.0 TFSI Q5 a few months ago. From Audi Wakefield, with an Audi warranty.
It had an insatiable appetite for oil, a jerky S-tronic gearbox and shonky steering.

Took in into Audi Stafford.

• They fixed the steering (a linkage)
  • They replaced the gearbox mechatronic unit (whatever that is)
  • They replaced the pistons, and presumably the rings too.

The steering is now fine. The gears change as smoothly car salesmans patter. And thepistons have yet to rack up 500 miles, so I'll know in a little while how that's gone.

The dealer has been nothing but helpful, I can't fault my treatment. On the other hand, Audi Tamworth, as used by an earlier respondant - awful place. They've even tried selling me semi synthetic oil for my S8. They don't return calls. Cluesless dealer and best avoided.

Things will sometimes go wrong with cars. I guess its the dealer who makes this either a nightmare or straightforward

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - Andrew-T

The dealer has been nothing but helpful, I can't fault my treatment. On the other hand, Audi Tamworth, as used by an earlier respondant - awful place. They've even tried selling me semi synthetic oil for my S8. They don't return calls. Cluesless dealer and best avoided.

Things will sometimes go wrong with cars. I guess its the dealer who makes this either a nightmare or straightforward

A sane and obvious conclusion. As with driving, it's the human element that usually causes the problems. It's all about attitude.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - Andrew-T

The manual does quote high oil consumption

I will not be buying an Audi again.

I have no experience of Audis or any German car for that matter, but the manuals of all the cars I have owned have 'permitted' consumption of the level you mention - just so that when it happens owners cannot claim recompense. Equally, none of the cars I have owned have used oil at anything like that rate unless it has leaked out or gone past piston rings or valve seals. Neither should the car you describe.

I can understand your wish to punish Audi by never buying another, but (a) that is illogical and (b) they won't notice.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - audi-oil

1. I disagree, it is illogical to trust a supplier with your hard earned cash who has let you down once already.

2. Trust me they will notice if ALL of us who are made aware of this problem avoid buying thier cars.

I had to stage a protest at my Audi dealers to any action. www.audi-oil.blogspot.co.uk

Then a local newspaper picked up the story and ran with it. Do not under estimate the power of direct action.

Edited by audi-oil on 10/03/2014 at 17:42

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - A5Dan

fracdemon,

I have an Audi A5 2.0 TFSI, which in has suffered the same symptoms as yours and many other cars with this engine. Mine ended up have a complete engine rebuild with new pistons and rings. If you do some simple research on the internet, you will find this is a very common problem. In fact when mine was in, the dealer told me they have another 3 cars in for re-build, so you can imagine how many are failing.

I believe yours is heading for the rebuild unfortunately. Make sure you have your paperwork and history, or Audi will try and tuck you up. Unfortunately mine was out of warranty, but low mileage at 38000, but i was still made to pay £1500 towards repairs. I don't expect any modern engine to need a rebuild after 38000, let alone an Audi engine.

Never again will I buy Audi, I could of paid a lot less for a car and bought a Vauxhall with a 100,000 mile warranty.

Good luck

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - slkfanboy

Hi,

I had this issue with an A4 2.0 FSI a few years back. Basically the car from delivery used oil. The engine always used more oil than I liked, but no smoke or oil on the drive. I got the oil changed early and at around 20K it stopped using oil, just after I purchased a job lot of oil!!!!

Make of it what you will, don't really know why

You are NOT ALONE in this see the audi-oil.blogspot.co.uk for more links and a story on the subject. There is a serious issue here that Audi are hiding from.

Just heard our local newspaper is running a story on this subject

www.audi-oil.blogspot.co.uk

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - SuttonAudiA5

I bought my Audi A5 NEW from Audi Tamworth UK. Its registered Oct 2009. Oil problem was always there but they claimed it was normal. But it got so bad that they had to look at it Nov 2012.

It was repaired under warranty and given back to me. Other forums say it is a case of replacing Pistons and Con rods. But they said it only required to replace the crankshaft seals and breather valves.

But late 2013 it all started again!! I was due a service anyway so I booked it in and got it back all serviced. They said Oil has been sorted and if the warnig light comes on, then call in

Sure enough it did! A reduction in performance was noticed staright away and the black exhaust mark on the garage floor appeared. The oil was going from full to RED warning light in 250 miles !! Thats easily over a litre, maybe two of oil

Part one test was conducted. Failed

Part 2 test failed and Audi UK got involved with the dealership.

The solution is to replace Pistons and Con Rods. And once in there, if they notice any other damage, then that will have to fixed.

Audi UK agreed to give the parts free. Dealer reduced his costs from £120 per hour to £86 per hour. Total for 21 hours was around £2146.

But thats the minimum. once theyre in the car, they might find they need to charge for more.

I have decided to recover my car from the Tamworth Audi dealer, who still wants to charge me £200 for doing the oil checks

Following all the AUDI OIL CONSUMPTION PROBLEMS on the internet, and the poor experience I received, I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER AUDI EVER AGAIN !!

My Audi A5,....RIP !!

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - dpsmith
In August 2014 I purchased an A5 cabriolet. 2 litre petrol. Since then after 1300 miles and 5 litres of oil, yes 5 litres I have booked the car into our local audi dealer to replace the crank shaft seal, sensor, update software and start a consumption test at a cost to me of £500 I believe the piston rings are faulty and will need to rebuild the engine. I do not want to sell the car on and pass the problem to another person myself but have decided to stand up and fight audi. I believe that the problem is theirs and they should pay the full rebuild cost. I don't believe I should sue the independent dealer to pay towards the rebuild as they just sold me a stock car, not one they have owned. They would not have known. Whilst I may be naive to think that audi with oblige I am building a file of other owners having similar problems. If you have had the same please get in touch on here or email dpsmith060@aol.com. Thanks in advance.
In addition to my post, the car has only done 50,000 miles. And is a 2010 car.

Edited by dpsmith on 30/10/2014 at 20:41

Do you have an oil burning 2ltr TFSI engined car. Join our Facebook page. In the main search box type, Audi's Burn Oil
Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - RobJP

Unfortunately, dpsmith, while your sentiment of not wanting to force the independent dealer who sold you the car to cough up the expenses for getting this fixed, in LAW it is the garage that sold you the car which is responsible for ensuring that the car is 'fit for purpose'. If they then want to take the matter up with Audi, then that is their call.

It might be an imperfect world, but that is how it works. The company that sold you the car is who you need to deal with. Bearing in mind the ridiculous effort (worldwide !) it took to get VAG to take action regarding the TEVES brake issues, or the DSG gearboxes, or the oil pump problems on the 2005-2008 2.0 TDi engines, or ... a myriad of other widespread problems, you really are wasting your time joining a facebook protest.

For starters, the only people who will see/join the FB group are those who have had problems, and are seeking help. Most other people won't even register that it exists, and if they do, then it isn't their problem, so they don't look at it. So as a protest, it will fail, because it won't make it onto the radar. When you consider that VAG probably advertise a lot on FB, then it won't take much pressure for your group to drop in visibility. After all, they pay - you don't.

Sorry to burst your bubble like this, and best of luck. But the course you are following is not going to get you anywhere. Your contract is with the garage that sold you the car. Nobody else.

Thanks for your advise. I have yet to see what Audi Offer. They have already suggested their will be goodwill. Parts and I will have to contribute. The Facebook group does serve to advise others less advanced in their problems. I have spoken to some people over the phone who don't understand the breather problems or know nothing about the pistons so perhaps it will serve as a guide for some people. Thanks for your input. My Facebook posts may soon reflect what you say through my own experience. Cheers.
Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - xtrailman

My neighbour had an A4 2L tfs back in 2000, he topped his engine up with oil weekly!

I had an A4 1.8T at the same time, the dealer did say the engine was filled with a special oil for running in, and the engine did use a pint or was it a Litre can't remember now, in the first year, but after that it never really used any.

So the problems not new?

I drove my car normally from day one and even red lined it with out any isues in the 4.5 years i had it, but i'm not convinced by german cars and prefer jap ones.

As for the italian tune up i do think this is a dated idea and serves no purpose other than using fuel. It certainly does nothing to clean out a DPF, infact it probably adds more soot than normal.

Edited by xtrailman on 04/11/2014 at 22:01

I have completed he consumption test on my 2010, 50k A5 cabriolet and after 325 miles. Lit the low oil light. Audi have offered me £3000 towards the rebuild cost so I would pay £1800. This is not acceptable. The BBC are following my story so please email me at dpsmith060@aol.com with your story. My portfolio grows daily and together we are stronger.
Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - RobJP

I'll say something I expect to be a bit unpopular : that's a pretty decent offer. Give some serious thought to accepting it.

You say that the BBC are 'following' your story. I'm sorry, but that means almost nothing. From there to the story appearing on Watchdog, and applying REAL pressure on VAG, is a long journey.

Considering you didn't buy the car off an Audi dealership, and considering that it's nearly 2015 (and your car is a 2010 car), I'd probably accept that offer.

If you continue to drive the car, then Audi could argue that you are possibly causing more and more damage to the engine - if it goes bang in few months, then they could well tell you to take a hike. After all, you are claiming the engine has a major fault, but you're continuing to use it, so you are not taking 'reasonable care' of the car. If you don't drive the car, then you've got all your money sat in a lovely large ornament sat on your drive.

It's not an ideal situation, I'll agree. VAG have really dropped the ball with various engines and gearboxes in the last few years. But I think that offer is pretty reasonable, and about as good as it's going to get.

that's a pretty decent offer. Give some serious thought to accepting it

Take it and start enjoying your car. After all its 5 years old and has done over 50,000 miles and lets be honest, you have no idea how that person treated it before you bought it. We had a chap at work, bought a brand new car and was told by the dealer to keep an eye on the oil level for the first few months as some cars had a habit of using oil as they bedded in the rings. Like 99.999999% of drivers he never checked it and guess what, after about 5000 miles the dash lit up like a baboon's backside, no oil it. If your car suffered the same neglect it could be the cause of the problems and not Audi's fault at all.

The car in question was a Toyota, once topped up it did over 100,000 miles but always used a decent amount of oil.

If you carry on you could well end up getting nothing and have a totally wrecked engine.

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumptioni - dpsmith
The BBC ran a story on Radio 4 you and yours on Thursday 18th December. You can listen to it on Iplayer. I led the programme with others. Radio 4 may yet do some follow ups but they have passed on a recommendation to Watchdog. Now is a good time to email watchdog@bbc.co.uk if your car is burning oil. I have had my engine rebuilt and I didn't pay what they asked. It took three letters to get my car engine built. BBC. 50k miles on a four year old car that cost £45k new is not acceptable when the fault was due to a basic part, piston rings, technology that has been well and truly tested for 100 years. Audi should do the right thing and put it right not blag people into paying contributions. I don't have £1800 either.

Hope you saw Watchdog last night then.

Jan 2015 is now a good time to email watchdog@bbc.co.uk. Radio 4 covered the story on 18th December, listen on Iplayer and they have passed on a request for watchdog to pick up the story.
Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - brighteyes
Just a thought on possible excess oil consumption. Assuming car makers cover their bases by giving ridiculous oil consumption figures I don't see how a car that is only doing 1500miles per litre can possibly meet the emmision levels that the manufacturer claims for them.

Hope you saw Watchdog last night. 4/6/15

Audi A5 2.0 TFSi 2011 - Audi A5 Oil Comsumption - Bolt

Apparently according to Watchdog on BBC they have a piston problem so its not down to driving style its faulty components