Volkswagen Golf Estate - Volkswagen Golf Estate - engine powerful enough - offshore

Could anybody please tell me if this engine is likely to be powerful enough for the new estate : 1.2 TSI 85 PS. It is the cheapest option available, and I have some doubts - even for a slow driver like me?

Volkswagen Golf Estate - Volkswagen Golf Estate - engine powerful enough - skidpan

Why not try it and make your own decision. Not tried the 85 PS version myself but although not overpowered the TSI engines have a very good spread of torqe/power thus you don't need to thrash them.

Volkswagen Golf Estate - Volkswagen Golf Estate - engine powerful enough - Avant

For that size of car I'd go for the 105 bhp version, or the 1.4 122 bhp if you can afford it. If you can't, look at the Skoda Octavia with the same engine which will be a bit cheaper.

Volkswagen Golf Estate - Volkswagen Golf Estate - engine powerful enough - ijws15
There is more to it than that, if you spec them like for like you will find very little difference in list price between the Octavia and Golf Estates, as standard the Golf has things the Octavia does not have.

They also have different suspension set ups with the Octavia being a little softer.

Ultimately they are aimed at different market segments - for a reason.
Volkswagen Golf Estate - Volkswagen Golf Estate - engine powerful enough - skidpan
There is more to it than that, if you spec them like for like you will find very little difference in list price between the Octavia and Golf Estates,

When we bought the wifes last new car the Octavia Estate was initially at the top of the list. But after looking at the spec the "cheap" list price grew out of all proportion by the time we had added necessary extras even to the SE and Elegance models, it did not even have side airbags. Essential extras came to about £2500 on the SE from memory.

But the new model certainly addresses this problem. Having looked at the specs there are still a few odd omissions from the SE spec but to add them only puts about £600 onto the price. It is thousands less than the new Golf.

Regarding Avants comments about the 1.4 TSI 122 PS model this engine is no longer used in Golfs and Octavias (or Leons and A3's). It has been replaced by a brand new 140 PS engine which is in no way related to the much critised (on here) old 140 PS twin charged unit. Got one of the new 140 PS units in my new Leon, its simply superb. Incredibly quiet, very powerful across a very wide power band and so far 46.5 mpg, only 1.5 mpg short of my old 143 PS BMW 118D in exactly the same useage. Its all the engine you could ever need based on almost 3 months of usage.

Volkswagen Golf Estate - Volkswagen Golf Estate - engine powerful enough - idle_chatterer

I agree with comments that an 85PS TSi is too weedy for a Golf let alone an estate.... Also that the previous Octavia lacked essential safety kit fitted as standard to its Golf and Seat brethren, this-too put us off buying one in 2009 because despite the headline specification and cheapeness in specifying the optional side & curtain airbags plus stability control - they had to be factory ordered. I'm glad to hear this is fixed in the latest model.

As to the 122PS TSi, I've a feeling that this engine is available in the Golf VII, certainly (as the 90KW) it's available in Australia. It's the 160PS twin-charger that's been dropped due to its high manufacturing cost, replaced by a 140PS (103Kw) engine. I note that the sub-GTi Golf has gone from 170PS to 160PS and now 140PS over recent updates. I guess (in Europe at least) drivers wanting more power opt for diesel. I'd love to see the 1.8 160PS/118KW fitted to a Golf as it is to an Octavia.

Volkswagen Golf Estate - Volkswagen Golf Estate - engine powerful enough - Avant

I was going by the What Car tables: thinking they might be out of date, I looked at the Golf Estate section on VW's website. What's happened is that you can get the 122 bhp engine on S and SE models, but not the 140: you have to go to the (much more expensive) GT to get the 140.

Skoda and SEAT let you have SE trim with the 140 engine, and will gain sales from VW: Octavia for those of us who want the extra room, Leon if you're happy with Golf-size.

I was very tempted to forgo the space and go for a Golf GTI this time, but there is minimal difference in performance between this and the Octavia vRS (I suppose unless you're a twisty-road freak like the magazine road testers), and the Octavia (even as an estate) is £100 a month cheaper....not forgetting its proper handbrake.

Checked while I was at Tesco, in the Golf the 122 PS model appeared to be back. Rang dealer when I got home, he says the 122 PS engine is not the chain driven one, its a variant of the new 140 PS belt drive unit.

I then downloaded a brochure. It only mentions the technical details of the new 140PS varant but looking at the specs at the back the 122 PS has the same bore/stroke as the old 122 PS car i.e. they are both totally different to the new belt drive unit.

CO2 emisions,the 122PS Golf is 4 CO2's higher than my 140 PS Leon thus £75 a year more RFL.

What is happening. Looks very much like my local dealer does not have a clue.