Japanase or Merc, in the USA - Smeux

Moving to California next year.

Want to buy something reliable, older (I think pre 1976 avoids need for 'smog check' emissions certificate) so maybe pre 1997 with a little style, reasonable grunt, definitely needs air con. Cars seem very expensive compared to the UK but budget is $8-10k. My assumption is I am looking at gasoline.

Anyone got any recommendations? Was mostly thinking Japanese or maybe a Merc. The interiors of Japanese cars can be soul-destroying though. I don’t know much about US cars but to be honest I have British prejudice that they are all useless and ugly. Open to education on that front.

Japanase or Merc, in the USA - 72 dudes

Pre 1997? i.e older?

I'm not sure where you were looking but there's hundreds of cars which meet your criteria on usedars/caranddriver.com In LA County.

I'd stick with the Jap models, Lexus LS400, GS350, Acura (Honda) Legend, Infiniti Q45.

Maybe a Volvo S80?

American cars from the 90's are pretty horrible inside, so I would avoid Lincolns, Mercurys etc.

Most will have done intergalactic mileages compared to the UK, but the Americans have a thing about changing the oil every 3000 miles, so well maintained examples should be OK and rust-free.

P.S. This site also links you with cars.com with access to Kelly's Blue Book, which is like our Glass's guide or Black Book which is so 'secret' in the UK

Edited by 72 dudes on 30/08/2013 at 14:16

Japanase or Merc, in the USA - Smeux

Yes, older is the idea, on the assumption it would take me to really cheap prices, which doesn't quite seem the case!

Very useful tips in there, especially with sites etc, thanks, so far I only really looked at autotrader.com and those are all new to me. I noticed the mileage, 200,000+ is not uncommon.

I actually quite like the Acura but in general I think the cars in the list (I had not thought of the Infinit!) are a little bit drab. But I guess with the Japanese reliability you take a hit on flair.

Cheers

Japanase or Merc, in the USA - jamie745

I noticed the mileage, 200,000+ is not uncommon.

I don't know if you've noticed but America is quite large.

Japanase or Merc, in the USA - brum
Most will have done intergalactic mileages compared to the UK, but the Americans have a thing about changing the oil every 3000 miles, so well maintained examples should be OK and rust-free.

Agreed about the mileage and oil change fetish but rust-free? Definitely not. I know its a long time ago but when I bought a car in the states, the engine ran really smoothly (thats because they never go much above idle speed even when cruising), but the rest of the car was held together by rust.

Americans dont seem to give a toss about maintenance beyond the oil change fetish.

Japanase or Merc, in the USA - 72 dudes

I'm sure rust in the North and some mid Western states and Colorado will be a problem, but the OP is going to California! Not known for harsh winters and salt, Brum.

Japanase or Merc, in the USA - unthrottled

Why not consider a Subaru? Although a niche brand in the UK, they are very popular in the US.