Hyundai Santa Fe - Nose Weight - Durelli_tyres
I've recently got a tow bar mounted bike carrier and have had to start looking at Nose Weight (the weight that can go on the tow bar).

I have an auto Santa Fe with self levelling suspension. In the UK the nose weight limit is 80Kg (but can be more in other countries apparently).

The 80Kg limit is due to the weight of the car, and the weight of the auto box over the manual box.

If I have self levelling suspension, shouldn't that mean the nose weight can be higher than a vehicle without it?

Shouldn't the overall vehicle weight be taken into account, in a similar way to tyre pressure? My car could have 7 large people in it, with luggage on the roof, a full tank of fuel with 80kg on the tow bar, or it could have a single small woman driving, with a near empty tank, no passengers or luggage, and still be limited to 80kg.

or am I being too simplistic?

D

Hyundai Santa Fe - Nose Weight - RT

Hyundai UK are even more simplistic !

The autobox Santa Fe can tow 2000 kg, the manual version 2500 kg, and they both use the same towbar.

There's a EC requirement that car noseweight limits must be not less than 4% of their towing limits - so 4% of 2000 is 80 kg, while 4% of 2500 is 100 kg, which corresponds to the noseweight limits of auto/manual versions in the UK. I believe to same vehicle in Australia has a 150 kg noseweight limit and I think the US noseweight limit is even higher, despite the US towing limit being about half of ours !

There is no engineering reason why the auto model needs a lower limit than the manual, as the versions are identical from the A-post back - indeed the recent 2013 model has the same 100 kg limit for both auto and manual.

Even if you're stopped by VOSA for a roadside check, they won't measure the noseweight, just the axle weights.

I have an automatic Santa Fe with 80 kg noseweight limit - I just ensure my caravan's noseweight doesn't exceed 100 kg - you do as you see fit !!

Edited by RT on 28/08/2013 at 15:13

Roadside checks are one thing. What happens if there's an accident and insurance companies / police start doing some research into what was being towed etc?

Police and insurers would have difficulty proving that a noseweight between 80-100 kg would be unsafe in an automatic but not in a manual !

Hyundai Santa Fe - Nose Weight - coopshere
It's a few years since I last looked into this but here goes. I suspect that some where on your beast there is a plate that gives the maximum weights you are allowed, usually gives the axle weights, gross vehicle weights and train weights. These are the ones the police and VOSA (and your insurers) will be interested in if stopped or involved in an accident.
It's a few years since I last looked into this but here goes. I suspect that some where on your beast there is a plate that gives the maximum weights you are allowed, usually gives the axle weights, gross vehicle weights and train weights. These are the ones the police and VOSA (and your insurers) will be interested in if stopped or involved in an accident.

That's correct - the maximum noseweight is marked as 100 kg on the towbar as it's Type Approved for both the 100 kg manual and 80 kg automatic.

Only the owners handbook and sales brochure refer to the two figures.

So the weight of the vehicle at the time its towing is not relevant?

And self levelling suspension doesn't help in towing?

D

Neither make any difference to maximum noseweight - it's the same whether towing fully laden or unladen and it's the same on versions without self-levelling.

Self-levelling does make towing more stable - but the Santa Fe suspension upgrade in 2010 meant that the non-levelling version should be quite good anyway - the 2010-2012 Santa Fe's are much more firmly sprung than earlier, or later versions.

As I understand it, your towbar is only used for fitting a bike rack, not actually for towing - the irony is that there's no limit on the weight you can strap to the rear door - as long as you don't exceed the axle loadings.

Edited by RT on 29/08/2013 at 13:10

Hyundai Santa Fe - Nose Weight - SlidingPillar

The other point is even 80kg is quite a lot.

A racing bike can be as light as 9kg, and you'd have a real clunker if if weighed as much as 22kg. I guess more realistically 15kg per bike is more like it, so two bikes at 30kg would still leave 50kg for the carrier and tie downs.

Unless you were planning to carry four or more bikes not really an issue and even if you were, that many bikes ought to be carried differently anyway.

It is a 4 bike carrier.

The carrier is 20Kg and allows 60kg of bikes.

Unfortunatly I have 2 BMX kids bikes to carry which are about 15kg each. Our other 'normal' bikes are alot less, around 10kg each.

D