Private hire - geemac
I am about to start a new venture with a private hire vehicle. What would be the best couple of choices of suitable car? My criteria is roughly as follows:
4 Door
Auto or manual?
Diesel or petrol?
Age up to 5 years approx
Up to £8k ish

Thanks in advance
Private hire - Bromptonaut

Might depend to some extent on whether you're pitching for long distance work or the pre-booked hackney cab market. Auto and diesel either way I would have thought, certainly auto for town work.

Niceist PH I've been in recently wa a Merc E class but I doubt that would fit your price range. I believe Addison Lee (spit!) sell off their Galaxys at around 150k with full history and they may be nearer your target.

Private hire - geemac
Thanks for that, budget is flexible and an E Class is one I was considering or a newer Passat nice spec. E 220 seem good value and reasonably good mpg!
Private hire - coopshere

If the budget is flexible then look at a manufacturer approved 2 to 3 year old (or newer) Toyota Avensis. With a 5 year/100,000 mile warranty you will also have piece of mind covered.

Private hire - jc2

A relation of mine ran a successful business-not just private hire(Mercedes) but offered a complete package for visiting businessmen-organized hotels,restaurants etc.,liaised with the firms they were visiting to ensure they had all the facilities required. The visitors were happy to pay a bit extra not to have to worry about anything-particularly in a strange town/country.

Private hire - Avant

For your budget you'll get a newer Skoda Superb than you would a Passat, and much newer than a Mercedes.

Private hire - geemac
There are a few nice E220's withe good mileage sub£9k 2006 and 2007 plates!
Private hire - gordonbennet

Kia Magentis.