Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 2005 - Clutch slip in 4th gear only? - AP16

Hi Guys,

Over the last 6 weeks or so I've noticed my clutch slipping quite badly, but only in 4th gear once the revs hit the Turbo range.

In all other gears it seems to accelerate powerfully and normally with no slip at all, but in 4th it'll slip all over the place as soon as it hits around 1800 RPM under acceleration.

However, if I give it some beans in 3rd, and change into 4th so that the engine engages 4th gear above 2200 RPM it seems absolutely fine and won't slip - seems like the power of the turbo in 4th is too much for it.

Also noticed a bit of a rattle under acceleration develop that sounds alarmingly metallic (like a kid running a stick along wrought iron railings), which goes away once the clutch is depressed.

I'm managing to drive around town no problem with it, just concerned that it's early signs of the clutch on the way out... any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks

AP

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 2005 - Clutch slip in 4th gear only? - galileo

Sounds like early warning of clutch and release bearing needing replacement.

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 2005 - Clutch slip in 4th gear only? - craig-pd130

I'd agree with Galileo - at the moment the clutch is strong enough to be able to transmit drive without slipping apart from when the engine is really pulling hard against a tall gear.

Usually though, the slipping is likely to get progressively worse, unfortunately.

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 2005 - Clutch slip in 4th gear only? - Big John

Does sound like a warning of a warn out clutch but I would be more worried about the metalic rattle - sounds like Dual Mass Flywheel to me. I would get the clutch/DMF replaced ASAP myself

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 2005 - Clutch slip in 4th gear only? - Cyd

sounds like time for a new clutch.

aamoi whats the mileage?

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 2005 - Clutch slip in 4th gear only? - Peter.N.

Its only slipping on max torque, as the revs increase the torque drops, its on its way out but at the moment not terminal, if you can bear to drive it gently and not let the clutch slip it could last for many more thousands of miles. The clutch only wears when its slipping.

Ford Focus 1.6TDCI 2005 - Clutch slip in 4th gear only? - gordonbennet

There was time when the sensible driver replaced the clutch at the very first sign of slipping, but that was back in the days when a flywheel wasn't a consumable and usually lasted the life of the car, if caught early enough simply replacing the driven friction plates would see another life from the rest of the clutch.

That slipping is overheating the DMF every time, i wouldn't leave it but the choice is yours.