Budget Tyres - Ordovices
In "Ask HJ" he makes the statement that;

"I never recommend budget tyres because I can't trust them,..."

When does a tyre cease to be, or become a budget tyre?
Are the standards set for tyre manufacture so low as to be useless?

Since having a nightmare with Dunlop SP's on one car, and seen the price of other "Premium" brands, I usually go with Hankook or Kumho and have yet to aquaplane or kill small children owing to extended breaking distances.
Budget Tyres - unthrottled

Psst! Even worse- I use secondhand tyres. It's almost as irresponsible as buying a 'complicated' diesel with EGR, DPF, DMF and other scary acronyms which are simply guaranteed to be a total disaster.

If I had a wife and children, they would surely be dead.

Budget Tyres - dan86

I don't condone buying second hand tyres but if that is all the petson can afford then a decent second hand tyre is better than a worn out iligal tyre. What makes me laugh is people with exspensive cars but they moan about the price of the tyres. If you cant aford to run the car dont biy a car. I have fitted recently to my car khumo tyres and they are beyyer than the standard fit continentals it had fitted. I wouldn't class khumo or Hancock as budget more as midrange.

Budget Tyres - RT

There is a minimum standard for all car tyres in the EU - anything above that is guesswork and/or marketing - you can't even go on price as many of the expensive brands spend their extra revenue on advertising, not better tyres - nor can you go on which brands are fitted as OE on new cars as the tyre manufacturers subsidise their cost to car makers as advertising budget so car makers just go for the best deal.

My Hyundai Santa Fe is fitted with OE Korean-made Kumho Solus KL21 all-season tyres - but they're useless in the cold or wet, ie just when All-seasons should be in their element !

Budget Tyres - Andrew-T

I suspect that any new tyre will meet safety requirements, but one gets what one pays for in terms of durability, quietness, ride comfort and perhaps some limiting roadholding. If you clock up high annual mileages it may make sense to buy expensive tyres. If not, save a few quid and sell the car on before you need to change them.

Used tyres - I can see the temptation to buy them when a full new set for an upmarket car can cost a grand. Not worth considering for the kind of car I drive.

Budget Tyres - RT

.......... but one gets what one pays for in terms of durability, quietness, ride comfort and perhaps some limiting roadholding..

Does one ?

Sadly, like any product, paying more is no guarantee of getting more, whether it's longevity or quality - often the increased price goes towards the increased spend on advertising.

Most of the big brands own mid-range brands selling at much cheaper prices but little difference in specification.

Edited by RT on 21/08/2013 at 12:19

Budget Tyres - thunderbird

Test in both the British mags and by the German TUV generally show that the really cheap Chinese tyres are safe in legal terms but really fall down in terms of wet grip and braking. Unfortunately this is exactly when you most need grip.

Considering a mid range tyre with good performance for my car (2015 55 16) is about £15 a tyre more than a cheapo budget with dubious wet performance I know which I buy. £60 a set is sod all considering that rotated once a year I get about 30,000 miles out of them.

£60 over 30,000 is £0.002 per mile. Considering fuel costs me about £0.136 per mile the extra for decent tyres is not even worth worrying about.

The only time I would buy the likes of Goodyear, Michelin etc would be if there was an offer on that made them comparable in price to the mid range tyres.

Edited by thunderbird on 21/08/2013 at 12:28

Budget Tyres - Bobbin Threadbare

The only time I would buy the likes of Goodyear, Michelin etc would be if there was an offer on that made them comparable in price to the mid range tyres.

Me too. I always look for offers. Got some very fancy tyres in the sales...it was nearly as exciting as buying shoes.

Budget Tyres - Ordovices

The second hand tyre issue is another moot point. A second hand tyre taken from the wheel can be inspected inside and out, beading, braiding and rubber (unlikely to spot delamination any other way). Where as keeping a tyre on your car for 30,000 miles or so, over 50% of it will never be inspected or even seen. Sounds like a fair argument for only buying second hand?

Budget Tyres - Mike H

Me too. I always look for offers. Got some very fancy tyres in the sales...it was nearly as exciting as buying shoes.

I'll try that one with SWMBO next time I'm looking for new tyres, she's a shoeaholic :-)

Edited by Mike H on 21/08/2013 at 23:34

Budget Tyres - Andrew-T

Absolutely. There are often special offers, and there can be surprising variations in price between different suppliers. And you may save a bit by getting the fitters to come to you.

Budget Tyres - V4 Heaven

I went to our local tyre shop the other day to look at the alternatives for my car as they're coming up for renewal. Using the new grading system onthe tyres, some cheapies 'appeared' to perform better overall than some premium brands.

I have Kumho KH17s which are at the lower end of the spectrum but they performed fairly well in a Which? magazine test. I once paid top whack for some Michelins to find that they only lased a few thousand miles longer. for the extra that I paid for them, the difference wasn't worth it.

Budget Tyres - Ordovices

My nightmare Dunflops got replaced with Maxxis Victra tyres, at half the price for 205/55/17s. They lasted far longer and were as quiet (subjective, I know) on a Mazda 5 Sport.

I do not habitually push my cars to their limits, so the grip thing is a bit of a mystery to me, though I would think that for grip in corners, a bit of extra neg camber would be a better investment (or just going more slowly).

The Kumhos and Hankooks work out at around £85 each all in, I've never seen any "quality" brands for that price when I've needed them.

Budget Tyres - The Gingerous One

I bought the cheapest tyres I could get from a well-known high-street tyre dealer and they were rubbish. £175 for 4, and it showed, I could wheelspin an 17yr old Volvo 440 1.6 in them without too much difficulty. Especially accelerating 'hard' onto the A14 coming off from the roundabout @ Catthorpe when changing up into 3rd.

but they were better than 4 different tyres, 2 of which were M&S ones.

Obviously the car was worth about 50p and I had no intention of keeping it long term so didn't feel the need to buy even half-decent tyres.

Nor did they handle well in snow.

After 8000 miles the fronts were showing reduced tread, so I doubt it they'd have lasted more than 16k - 18k before needing replacement.

This would be ironic if, whoever the current owner of the volvo is, were to run into the back of me, he could say (quite rightly) "it's the tyres mate, you had those rubbish ones fitted..."

Budget Tyres - unthrottled

It's really hard to get good data regarding the performance of tyres. Subjective reviews are just too inconsistant to be of much use-with the exception of perceived noise.

The EU tyre labelling system is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard. Terms like "performance" or "premium" are in themselves marketing terms and nothing more.

Budget Tyres - dadbif
I have just fitted Kumho 's to my. Citroen C3 Picasso, I have nothing but praise for them, quiet, good road holding and excellent in the wet
Budget Tyres - SteveLee

Budget tyres today offer more grip than premium tyres did 15 years ago, yes premium tyres are better but there's nothing wrong with budget tyres. 99% of accidents are caused by driver error not lack of grip.

Of course there are compromise brands like Kumho who sell premium quality tyres at mid-range prices. I generally buy cheaper tyres and change them before they hit 3mm of wear, a budget tyre with 3mms of tread will offer more aquaplane resistance than a premium one with 2mms.

I was driving my partner's Citroen with her budget (Chinese - gasp!) all-season tyres on a fast A-road with lots of localised flooding, I spotted a big puddle ahead and lifted the throttle hitting the puddle at about 70 mph - no drama - nothing - the nearly new Audi behind me piroetted off into the armco - no doubt on worn premium tyres.