Citroen Relay - Van Smoking Heavily! Please help - Rhysd1309

Hi everyone. Unfortunately I have a 2008 Citroen Relay, which uses the 2.2 Ford Transit/Mondeo engine. It is very poorly at the minute, and I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction.

When you first start it, it misfires like hell, and bellows white/light grey smoke (which has a tinge of blue to it), when I say bellows, I mean fills the street. Once warm, the misfire disappears BUT the smoking continues, sometimes it will disappear for a mile, but then return. It only smokes when you rev it today, although yesterday it was smoking no matter what.

So far, I think I can rule out the turbo, as when I disconnected the intercooler pipes, no smoke came through them and the van continued to smoke from the exhaust as normal. Also, the van doesn't appear to be using any water.

No fault codes.

There is a massive oil leak, that is dripping onto my alternator (battery light is on, although voltage is 14.2 at idle)

I feel this leaves me with 3 or 4 options, and i'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

1- Could it be a duff injector/s overfueling? but then why the blueish tinge? The Ohms reading accross the injectors are the same, However, upon unplugging the No3 Injector (whilst the van is still misfiring) the engine tone remains unchanged. When the engines idle returns to normal (once warm) unplugging said injector makes no diference.

2- Valve seals?

3- Could the rings be drawing oil in?

4- No other symptoms of HGF, the heaters are warm, no coolant loss.

I appreciate its just guesswork for you lot, but hopefully the symptoms may correspond to something somebody else has had problems with.

The injector leak off pipes are leaking, but doubt this is causing it.

Cheers.

Rhys

Citroen Relay - Van Smoking Heavily! Please help - Peter.N.

If disabling No3 injector makes no difference that's obviously where the problem lies unless the compression is low on that cylinder but that's unlikely. If you disconnect the leak off circuit and connect a tube from each injector into four similar recepticles you can compare the leak off quantities, they should be about the same but if No3 is greater the injector will be faulty.

Citroen Relay - Van Smoking Heavily! Please help - kmc1169
I have a 2.2 relay doing the exact same thing, driver said he was on the motorway and the engine revved away on him, he had to stall it in gear, or it would have shat itself.. Started smoking, and went off a cylinder. Pulled turbo pipes, not a serious amount of oil in them or intercooler, disconnected No 4 injector, still idled like a dog, with heavy blue-ish smoke, we changed No 4 injector, made no difference, let it run for a while thinking the cylinder was saturated with diesel, no use! Still smoky and off a cylinder removed exhaust pipe at turbo, full of oil, but not from turbo seems the oil is blowing through the turbo, coming for the cylinders... Removed inlet manifold, it was saturated with oil!!did a compression test, pressures look really poor, only 30psi, but I thinks my gauge is f***ed!! Gonna try a different on the Marra..
Real head scratcher this one..
Citroen Relay - Van Smoking Heavily! Please help - Peter.N.

Sounds like the turbo bearings/oil seals are failing.

Citroen Relay - Van Smoking Heavily! Please help - tottenn00

Hi did you manage to solve this issue as I am having the exact same issue including disconnecting no 3 injector

been at this for a week now with no luck swapped the no 2 injector with no 3 but the problem is still in no 3 side

help please

Citroen Relay - Van Smoking Heavily! Please help - aquilaalba

Hello there, another one with similar symptoms - did any of you has managed to resolve this puzzle? Any comments much appreciated...

Citroen Relay - Van Smoking Heavily! Please help - Will the Wheel

Hi guys. I really need some kind of guidance and advice as I have come to the end of the line with my relay. It has been the most depressing motoring experience of my life, with endless reliability issues and to what I can only guess is the local main deal and another local garage playing a guessing game at my expense.

My latest running issue is very simular to the original post, it was running well of once, then out of the blue it started running bad and to what I can only describe as what felt like an out of shape type shock the whole van. So I pulled over and could not see anything obvious so went to start it again and it really struggled to start and finally did with a big puff of black smoke. I pulled away and the shaking started again but only under load. I managed to get it home and it it died as soon as I stopped. I checked under the bonnet and there was oil ontop of injector 1 and noticed a slight bubble coming out.

It was taken back in to citroen and a new injector with the seals were installed but it is still running bad and the vibration under load, any ideas anyone?

This is the tipping point of making a choice of just getting rid and getting a new van or is it cheap enough to repair.

Thanks for your thoughts.