Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - Paramjit

I bought a used Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG on 11 plate in March 2013. It has done only 10,000 miles and has been fully serviced.

Since I have bought this Car, it has a completely random issue when I try to start it.

One day it will start straight away, another it will turn over anywhere between 3 or five times to more than 10. There is no pattern. It almost happens during the first start in the morning on cold start, and the problem also happens randomly other times. Some morning starts will be perfect.

When I get it going eventually, there is no smoke from the Exhaust but the engine is erratic in the beginning but smoothes out farly shortly.

The Car has been to two VW authorised service centres and the diagnostics tests have not shown any fault.

The Battery, Glow Plugs and Starter Motor are all fine.

Any ideas??

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - Peter.N.

Don't know a lot about VW engines, is it common rail, if so low rail pressure can cause them to be difficult or even impossible to start, get you garage to check the rail pressure.

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - watermelon

My 2010 1.6 TDI Golf is at the main dealer now with exactly the same symptoms. They have replaced all the injectors which improved my fuel consumption from 52 to 61 mpg (average) but the starting problem continued without any improvement. They are now going to try the glow plugs. I will let you know the result.

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - MIB60UK

Hi,

I have the same car 2010 1.6 105 Diesel blumemothion with the same fault, there are no error stored in the computer and has cost a fortune in guesses!

Did you ever get it fixed? and more importantly what was causing it ?

Thanks!

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - MIB60UK

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 19/02/2015 at 00:17

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - FoxyJukebox
A very basic tip that might be worth trying.
After turning on ignition-leave for 10 seconds before applying starting key?
Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - elekie&a/c doctor
You need to get the engine control module software updated.
Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - Oli33

Glow plugs? - Ground connection?

Fuel Filter?

Sounds to me like a worn camshaft sensor??

Edited by Oli33 on 18/02/2015 at 19:10

Hi All,

Big thanks! for all the replies and suggestions, I did not expect such a good response :-) and now feel I should clarify the exact nature of the problem. The car has performed without fault for 4 ½ year doing 61,000 miles without any issues until January this year (the car was serviced a 56,000 miles). The main symptom is Engine stalling at low revs. When the car is running it seems fine plenty of torque and have never notice any issues on motorway journeys.

1. Intermittent stalling at low revs, mainly after cold starting. The engine always starts from cold even freezing and will run with a perfect tick over for a few seconds, then the rev counter will start to dip (become erratic) then the engine stops. The problem (stalling) can repeat many times over (max so far 12), or only be noticed as a slight twitching of the Rev counter and not stall.

2. The problem was first notice whilst trying turn right across traffic after 20 min driving, when a gap came the engine was idling fine, I touched the accelerator pull away and it just died I immediately pushed the clutch and it restarted again but stalled again as I tried to get out of the junction (very scarey). I also happen in a multistory car park when you press the clutch the engine revs drop (as it should) but then when the clutch is released and you try to pull away there was no power and it stalled it also happen in queuing traffic.

3. Over the past 4 weeks the it seems to have stopped stalling whilst driving, but the cold starting problem seems to have got worse, except when at the VW main dealer then it is perfectly behaved.

The Diagnostics run by VW say there is no problem except 3 injectors failed some test when they could not find anything else (very expensive quoted £450 each!), but I am sure this is not the root cause of my trouble.

So far the software has been updated to V9 point something and the fuel filter changed.

I have scoured the web and this seems to have been an common issue in 2012 but could not find the answer :-(

Your suggestions below seem to offer some light, Thanks! based on the above which of the two remaining would be your best guess and why?

“Glow plugs? - Ground connection?

Fuel Filter? Changed!

Sounds to me like a worn camshaft sensor??”

Thanks

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - Avant

If it happens only when the engine is cold, it could be a fuel feed problem. I've known a fault (although it was on a Peugeot) where fuel was allowed to drain right back into the tank instead of being held by a non-return valve.

I'm no technician and I don't know if the Golf has some similar valve, but it's a possibility.

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - dieselnut

" So far the software has been updated to V9 point something "

Is that the latest software available, maybee check with your VW dealer.

You need a good code reader like VCDS which will show pending codes & live data.

These engines seem to suffer a lot with blocked & sticking EGR cooler/ valve but should leave a code to point you in the right direction.

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - slkfanboy

No smoke = No fuel, so it like to be s fuel side problem. Either low fuel pressure caused by pump or filter, Injectors or electronic issue.

Again, Thank you All!

To confirm the car has been check for stored error codes and also run and monitored for an extended period without error feedback.

This weekend I have driven over 400 miles without any issues, either starting or running.

As I spent several hours behind the wheel I have had time to mull over the problem and with the help of the comment made here eg. suggesting the "cam sensor" I now have a theory that I may be looking at the problem back to front (Chicken<->Egg situation) and missed the obvious clue:- the Rev Counter!!!

I assumed the rev counter was dipping/erratic because the engine revs were doing the same, BUT (big but) what if the rev counter was not changing because of the engine speed but because of a faulty sensor! (I don’t think the engine speed can change at the rate the rev counter seemed to indicate).

If the engine speed sensor failed/intermittent at low engine revs (FYI magnetic based sensors produce lower output at slower speeds), the Engine management would stop sending fuel, assuming the engine had already stalled (due to driver error) this would become a self fulfilling prophecy as without fuel the engine would stop (Egg <-> Chicken).

I also assume that during starting the Engine management does not read the sensor for a few seconds and runs in some kind of default tickover mode until things stabilise and the sensors are then used. This would explain why it always started without problem with perfect tickover?

I know I am ASSUMING a lot but I think it make sense, I could do with a system flow diagram to be sure.

Any comments will be appreciated.

Golf 1.6 Mk VI Match TDI DSG - VW Golf TDI Mk VI intermittent Starting Problem - makapala

I have had a Mk6 2.0 GT tdi DSG since 10,000 miles and it now has 70,000 miles.

It was only serviced last week and did a 200 mile run at the weekend.. then on a short trip to a neighbouring village in -3C it stopped in the middle of the road with no warning - no warning lights - nothing. Just lost drive and then stopped.

With it being 10pm and sub zero I was very glad that I didnt have my family in the car.. the AA came out and couldnt get it going.. so towed me home.

Next day my independent VW guy came over to recover from our house and with the help of jump leads turned it over... and over... and over... and over... and compression came back and it started.

Obviously there were LOADS of fault codes - all related to the low battery from cranking it to flat the previous night but nothing else. It ran fine... he took it out, runs fine.. no smoke, no metal in the oil filter.. probe camera in the EGR showed nothing and the revs are perfectly flat in idle.

The guys suspect either dodgy fuel from a dodgy garage or an injector... so we've put in some additive to clear the injectors - but if it happens again I'll be asking him to replace the injector unit. Apparently, should one injector go, it'll knock all the pressures out on the common rail.

There was a recall on the injectors a few years ago - make sure you are up to date on your recalls.

He has also seen the same symptom with a car that had previously been misfueled, but that leaves other telltails in the engine.

Dave

Edited by makapala on 18/02/2016 at 12:24