Suzuki Wagon R+ - very high mileage vs. very low -- which is better? - parasol

I'm going to see a 10yo Wagon R+ with 100,000 miles on the clock at a main dealer tomorrow. When I called to book my test drive the dealer mentioned that they also have a 11yo Wagon R+ with only 15,000 miles on the clock. I've seen it being said that it's best to avoid ultra low mileage cars because they will have been used for short runs from cold starts which, as I understand it, can spell trouble. Isn't 100,000 miles, though, a bit high given that Wagon Rs are mostly used as urban runarounds? Another worry is that the high-mileage car has had 4 previous owners, which will affect its value if I decide to sell it on or, say, trade it in for a new S Cross in six month's time.

I've looked up the car in Parker's and Glass's guides as well as in Honest John's pricing guide, whatcar.com and autotrader (checked cars for sale in 200 miles' radius and averaged out the prices found), and there are huge differences in valuation. The price the dealer wants for the car is closer to Glass's -- could I use the other guides as a negotiating tool?

Any tips will be very gratefully received!

Suzuki Wagon R+ - very high mileage vs. very low -- which is better? - oldtoffee

I'd probably go for the 100k one. 10,000 a year is about average mileage, less than 30 miles a day so maybe used for a commute of 40 miles, who knows but the engine is going to be in good nick if it has been regularly serviced ie every year. Chances are the tyres and brakes will have been changed more than once and with 100k on it it won't have spent the majority of its life on short runs riding over speed bumps.

The 15k one is ultra ultra low mileage and is going to appeal to lots of people who may not grasp the implication of potential harm in such low miles. The dealer will know this and the price might be more speculative than the 100k car which a lot of people will dismiss outright as too many miles.

I think you've done the right thing making all the comparisons and being very price aware, now it is down to a bit of bargaining maybe and checking the condition of whichever car you like. Make use of the HJ advice on buying used and if you're not 100% sure walk away. The dealer will say they only use Glass's and politely dismiss your other valuations so it would be good to know of other Wagon R's actually priced for sale not just listed in a guide, probably further away that are at better prices to show you've done your work. If they want your business they are going to have to be more realistic and not make the big profit on the deal they hoped for.

Edit: typo

Edited by oldtoffee on 07/08/2013 at 20:50

Suzuki Wagon R+ - very high mileage vs. very low -- which is better? - parasol

That's very helpful, thanks, and it confirms some thoughts I already had on the subject. I've checked other cars on sale on autotrader and have found three cars currently on sale from independent garages priced £550-£700 less than from the main dealer. I don't know whether the Suzuki main dealer car comes with a 12-month warranty or just the basic 3-month warranty required by the law. Supposing that it does come with an extended warranty included in the price, I wonder how much more it is worth paying for over the independent garages' price?