Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - Festerman

I have just replaced replaced the clutch on my Fiesta as it was slipping now and again. I had no problem selecting gears but thought that I had better change it before it got any worse.

I now have trouble getting it in to gear and reverse is impossible to engage.

I changed the gearbox oil to Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle & bled and refilled the hydraulic system with DOT4

I did not change the release bearing as that seemed to be working ok.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I have gone wrong or has anyone had a similar problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - Collos25

Not changing the release bearing is very very short sighted as to the selection problem you need to press the clutch pedal fully while somebody is looking at the clutch release arm to see if it is travelling the full distance, if it is the problem is in the clutch if it isn´t then the problem is is with the outside clutch lingage (assuming you have put it together correctly).

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - skidpan

The release bearing is the cheapest part and is included in any reputable kit, in some cars its also the least reliable component. Why you would choose not to replace it beggars belief.

I chose not to repace it as it is actually quite an expensive part.

Why would I replace it if there was nothing wrong with it?

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - Oli rag

Can you select all gears while the engine is off? If not I would look at the linkage.

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - bathtub tom

If it's a cable clutch, what about the adjustment?

ISTR Fords had a self-adjusting mechanism on some models, does it need re-setting?

Thanks bathtub tom I was thinking along those lines myself.

The clutch is in fact self adjusting but apparently there is no way that you can re-set the mechanism. Do you have any ideas?

Yes, there is no problem selecting gears with the engine off. There is no linkage - the system is hydraulic.

I wouldn’t say that it was short sighted by not replacing the bearing. The bearing was working with the old clutch so why would it develop a fault five hours later after fitting a new clutch? The clutch kit that includes the bearing is double the price so it was worth the risk and if it develops a fault later then that would be the time to replace it.

The clutch system on this car is hydraulic and the slave cylinder is inside the bellhousing so you can’t check the travelling distance and there is no outside linkage, If there was, I am confident that I would have been able to put it back together.

So, it's a hydraulic clutch.

Did you just replace the clutch plate, what about the pressure plate?

You say "I now have trouble getting it in to gear and reverse is impossible to engage."

What happens if you put it in gear, press the clutch and start the engine? Do you have to hold it on the brakes to stop it driving off?

If so, then it seems the clutch is dragging.

That's why it's normal to change the clutch plate, pressure plate and release bearing at the same time, to avoid dismantling it all again to investigate problems like yours.

I'm afraid it looks like you've got to take it all apart again.

The release bearing is around 25ukp not much when you consider you will probably have to dismantle the the car gearbox to find out what is wrong.Many clutch kits require the three parts fitted at one time as the name implies they are a kit.But reading between the lines you have only replaced the clutch plate its just not worth it when so much work is involved and how do you know if the release bearing is ok by looking at it I think not.

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - madf

As the clutch was slipping, chances are the pressure plate was worn out.

Did you replace the pressure plate?

If not do it.. and the release bearing at the same time.

I knew it was a mistake to admit that I didn't replace the bearing.

The clutch kit that includes the release bearing would have cost an extra £60 - expensive because you can not seperate it from the slave cylinder so you have to replace the whole unit.

Removing the transmission is no big deal so if the bearing does develope a fault at a later date is no problem at all.

When you replace a clutch it is recommended that you replace the release bearing only because you have the gearbox off and it could save you time later . You do not have to change the bearing and slave cylinder if you do not want to. If you do not change it, it will not effect the operation of the new clutch.

There is no need to read between the lines - I have already said that I only replaced the clutch and not the bearing.

I know the release bearing is working properly because I was driving the car with the old clutch and had no problems selecting any gear - just occasional slipping on steep hills. Why would removing the transmission and fitting a new clutch and pressure plate suddenly effect the release bearing? Why is it only reverse gear that is causing me problems?

Forget about the release bearing and non existant linkage and clutch travel!

They are not 60ukp they cast 25 to 30 shop around and if you had bought the full kit in the first place it would have been much cheaper..

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - madf

Did you replace the pressure plate?

I repeat the question as you have not answered.

I assume from your silence you did not.?

Sorry I just saw your message - yes I did replace the pressure plate

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - brum

Way back in 1968, my dad struggled to change a clutch on a Ford Zephyr 6 only to have the same problem as you - a dragging clutch that blocked gear changes. IIRC it was either due to the friction plate being installed the wrong way round, or it may have been the wrong parts supplied.

I know that on certain Ford Galaxys, its known for the brackets that support the clutch release mechanism to shear off causing similar symtoms because the release bearing cannot apply full pressure without the bracket moving back.

In any case it looks as if you have to take it to pieces to investigate further,,,,

You are right they are not £60 - they are in fact £61.80

Euro car parts 637592380 = £116.40 for complete kit

Euro car parts 641592381 = £ 54.60 for disc & plate

It really wasn't worth the expense as there is nothing wrong with the pressure plate.

I could have shopped around and got a made in China inferior piece of rubbish that would probably melt before I got out of the garage.

It's not always a case of saving money - you have to be sensible as well.

I did replace the pressure plate.

I can put it in reverse - press the clutch and start the engine and it is ok - no dragging at all

It's not a problem taking it apart again but I am not sure if I have to at the moment.

Are you saying that the release bearing is at fault?

I did replace the pressure plate.

I can put it in reverse - press the clutch and start the engine and it is ok - no dragging at all

OK, now what about the oil. Is it one recommended by Ford for that gearbox?

It would seem something happened when you did the clutch change that's causing the problem.

Clutching at straws now, what about gear change linkage? Engine mounts?

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - SteveLee

Sounds to me like you haven't bled the hydralics properly, therefore the clutch isn't being disengaged fully when you dip the clutch, bleed it the old fashioned two man way, (some one holding the pedal down while you open and close the bleed nipple) or use a minivac.

I bled the system several times. The first time I used some old DOT4 fluid that I found in the shed and then I remembered that this fluid was actually older than the car so I bled the system completey and filled with new fluid. This helped a lot but still having problems with reverse.

I used a Halfords one man bleeder as I had no one to help at the time.

Do you think that this could be a problem? - I have never used one before but thought they were a reliable way of bleeding.

I replaced the oil with Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle fully synthetic which I believe is acceptable.

It is definitely something I have done. All was working ok and five hours later with new clutch and pressure plate fitted I have this problem.

I have double checked the gear change linkage and this is ok

The only thing that concerns me is the self adjusting clutch mechanism - has this re-set? there is no way of telling and you can not adjust it manually.

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - thunderbird

I replaced the oil with Castrol Syntrans Multivehicle fully synthetic which I believe is acceptable.

Cannot imagine a 11 year old Fiesta needs something as fancy as that. I know for a fact that some Fords really struggle when oil that is too "slippery" is used, the syncros simply won't grab the hubs and work. The correct oil for an IB5 box as fitted to the Fiesta is Semi-Synthetic 75w90.

Don't think there is a drain plug on the IB5 so you will need a suction devive to change the oil but it would be my next step.

I'd agree that some boxes can be sensitive to oil hurting the effectiveness of the syncromesh - has this box got syncro on reverse? I know the bigger (MT75s?) have syncro on reverse but I don't know the IB5 very well - I thought it was quite and old design.

Where's the biting point on the clutch? If it's near the floor I'd still put my money on a hydralic issue. If there was road crud/corrosion on the slave cylinder's piston, retracting it after relacing the clutch may have damaged the seal. Putting a new clutch in will cause the piston to be retracted further than it was into the slave cylinder.

Set up a piece of wood to depress the clutch pedal, then get under the car and crack the bleed screw to release the fluid - repeat (and repeat etc!) One-man bleeding kits do not bleed under pressure so the air bubbles can sit in the fluid. Under pressure the air bubbles will be compressed and are more likely to find their way out.

Ford Fiesta 1.3 2002 - Clutch Problem - jc2

MTX75 has synchro on reverse-that's why it has a lift-up detent on the gear-lever;the iB5 hasn't and there is no detent.The B5 was the old box and the iB5 is much more up to date.(i for improved).

MTX75 has synchro on reverse-that's why it has a lift-up detent on the gear-lever;the iB5 hasn't and there is no detent.The B5 was the old box and the iB5 is much more up to date.(i for improved).

Makes sense, which is why I'd still look at the hydraulics - the oil type shouldn't affect reverse gear engagement on a non-synro (on reverse) box.