Unwarranted mileage at auction? - Rich_B

Hi

Could someone please shed any light on the following queries ...................

When purchasing a vehicle from auction with 'unwarranted mileage' but it has a full service history with a recent stamp that ties in with the odometer reading is this still a risky proposition regarding the mileage?

What further checks can be done to check the genuity of the odometer reading?

I'm somewhat confused as to how one vehicle with say 80,000 on the odometer with a full service history and a service stamp within the last two months at 75,000 can be unwarranted, yet a car with 50,000 on the odometer but with only one service stamp over 18 months ago at 17,000 miles can be warranted?

How do the auction houses decide whether to warrant the mileage or not?

Many thanks

Unwarranted mileage at auction? - tony g
( How do the auction houses decide whether to warrant the mileage or not?)

The auction house doesn't, its the sellers choice ,if you can get the mot certificate number ,you could do a VOSA check ,that gives the cars mot history ,which helps .

Generally though your better buying on e bay ,they're as cheap as auction houses and you get to try before you buy .

Unwarranted mileage at auction? - Rich_B

Ahh I see. So if the seller has chosen not to warrant the mileage I guess that suggests there's something to hide, otherwise why not warant it right?

Also, how do you do a VOSA check? Can it be done quickly on the day of the auction and is there a cost associated with it?

Thanks

Unwarranted mileage at auction? - Andrew-T

So if the seller has chosen not to warrant the mileage I guess that suggests there's something to hide, otherwise why not warrant it right?

Not necessarily - maybe the seller just doesn't know enough about the whole history to feel confident. Doesn't want to risk any comeback.

Unwarranted mileage at auction? - pd

Some vendors do not warrant mileages as a matter of policy. They want their cars gone when the hammer comes down - no comeback and can't be bothered sorting out what they should warrant and what they shouldn't.

Warranted mileage does not mean it is correct - merely that if the buyer finds concrete evidence it is not very shortly after purchase they can take it back. It is up to the buyer to prove it is wrong.