Volkswagen Golf VI - Warning - Service history - passatcc

Hi All,

Just wanted to warn any car buyers to double check any service history carefully before buying your next car.

Don't just trust the dealer (even if main dealer). Ring VW customer services (if applicable).

I bought a Mk6 Golf GT TDI last month with a supposed full vw service history. It had 4 stamps from the same VW dealer but after checking with VW the stamps were fake as the main dealer had another garage and he let them use the main dealer stamp.

I have the head of VWUK supposedly looking into it as well as Trading Standards.

Hope this warning will help any buyers out there.

Edited by passatcc on 01/08/2013 at 13:28

Volkswagen Golf VI - Warning - Service history - skidpan

Rule 1, never trust a service book

Rule 2, never trust a service book

Rule 3, never trust a service book.

Stamps are available from a well known auction site.

You need to see invoices detailing work carried out.If they are not available walk away.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Warning - Service history - passatcc

I didn't trust the stamps completely which is why I called the VW main dealer. They confirmed they had done the work.

I then called VW customer services who said they had no record of any services which made me contact the main dealer again who sent me this (part of email):

'It does not have a VW history, the work was done on my VW site, I have 2 garages, the MoT Bay and service centre carried out the service at the previous customers request, aware that it was not the main VW workshop. VW parts were used and VW Technicians carried out the work, but an old service stamp was used, this has since been removed from service'

This is from a recognised VW main dealer.....

Volkswagen Golf VI - Warning - Service history - pd

OK, so it doesn't technically have a VW history although at least it appears to have been serviced. I agree it isn't right for a dealer to use one stamp for two different garages. Annoying and they shouldn't be doing it. This is increasingly common where many franchised dealers have a "budget" bolt-on section which does services, tyres etc. It is rather debtable. If Acme Garage Ltd is a VW dealer and has an "Acme Express" section then of course they are entitled to stamp it with "Acme Garages Ltd" who, if you look them up, are a VW dealer but it won't be on the VW system and isn't a VW franchised service as it has been done in the workshop next door. Therefore it shouldn't have the VW logo on it.

It seems to have a "full history by VW dealer".....biut not a "full VW history".

Unfortunately demanding invoices etc. for any and every service history just isn't realistic these days. Many people are reluctant to hand over paperwork with their details on it (for whatever reason) and many cars which are company owned they have to retain the invoices anyway (particularly where the VAT has been reclaimed).

Fortunately, some manufacturers do keep a central record so it is possible to double check a lot of history - VW, Volvo, BMW, Mercedes to name a few all keep some sort of central record. Mazda only keep a central record now.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Warning - Service history - madf

Ask for a full refund. SOGAT.

Volkswagen Golf VI - Warning - Service history - Armitage Shanks {p}

A proper servive history includes detailed, dated, priced invoices for the work carried out. Blank books and stamps can be easily found on an auction site.

tinyurl.com/l7kjser

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 01/08/2013 at 17:08

Volkswagen Golf VI - Warning - Service history - Andrew-T

Ask for a full refund. SOGAT.

I would feel that claiming a refund on this technicality is about as fraudulent as the dealer's misrepresentation. I presume there is nothing wrong with the car because of the fake stamps - the work has been done using correct parts and materials, which is allowed under warranty terms these days?

A stamped service record over several years is probably trustworthy if each stamp is clearly different with varied entry of mileage, date etc. Maybe dodgy if they look suspiciously similar.