Audi A4 B8 - Should I keep it after a DMF replacement - ees3dc

I had the classic clutch judder on my 18 month old A4 ~ 15K miles of sensible driving. I had it all replaced under warranty but then started to read the whole sorry story of DMFs. As an aerospace engineer myself, I dislike the DMF concept.

My confidence is now shattered with Audi and cannot decide if I want to sell it. It seems silly to get rid of the car after 2 years due to depreciation but feel that my hand is forced. An S-Tronic uses a DMF so that would need seem wise. It seems that a Mercedes C Class uses a goold ole torque converter so that may be the way to go - I just don't know if I can live with the boring dash/interior after driving an Audi!

I've had an advanced driving instructor asses my driving style to see if I could be to blame. The answer was no. Also the clutch that was removed confirmed this.

Should I :

a. Kepp the car as intended - the "risk" of another DMF failure is worth living with since its cheaper to replace than forking out for another new car

b. Buy an Audi A4 S-Tronic. I was thinking the petrol TFSI to reduce the torque loading on the DMF

c. Buy a C Class auto that does not have a DMF - or am I jumping out of the frying pan into the fire - replacing one set of problems with another?

Edited by ees3dc on 30/07/2013 at 22:37

Audi A4 B8 - Should I keep it after a DMF replacement - bazza

I think you're worrying far too much! There are 100s of thousands of Audis, and literally millions of cars driving round right now with DMFs fitted. You've been unlucky, granted, but unlikely it will happen again to you in the forseeable future. You could buy a TFSi and then start worrying about timing chain failure, or turbo or injector failure, the list of things to worry about with any modern car is infinite! Keep what you've got and be thankful it failed under warranty, extend the warranty if you'll sleep better!

Audi A4 B8 - Should I keep it after a DMF replacement - Peter.N.

I had the same fears as you regarding DMFs and fought for a long time not to have one, I eventually had to succomb and have a Peugeot 406 Hdi and a C5 Hdi both with around 200,000 miles on them and still the original DMF. I think many although not all failures are due to driving style - I drive very gently.

Audi A4 B8 - Should I keep it after a DMF replacement - Collos25

I do not follow your argument re the difference between Audi and MB ,MB have used DMF in there manual gearboxes for many years they use a very standard autobox in their other cars.There is nothing to complicated about DMFs used it just about every manual diesel engined car and a lot of petrol versions most do starship mileages you only hear about the few that fail not the millions that don´t.