Mondeo petrol 2000-2007 1.8 & 2.0 possibly others. - Ford Mondeo Service Oil filter change woes. - exmechanicdave

Hi All, I have seen other posts about new owners of Mondeo's (like me) and other fords having problems getting help with paper element type Oil acces (one ended up in a right ding dong!). The type using stiff paper insert-elements are at the front of the sump behind the radiator. Quite accessible (thanks Henry) they have a plastic base which requires a special 14-15 sided tool of (about 72-74mm size A/F).

These are available off E Bay for £11-£15 posted BUT there are about 4-5 sizes from 65-90 ish mm. These plastic fragile bases will likely crack wide open if a crude screwdriver method is used. I have just been out to Motorworld and purchased a £6.99 'all models' chrome 100mm (standard) metal canister removal lever-tool, and on my Mondy this loosened it easily and without damage (as the it grips all around with small serrations) .

Voila it's off and the filter was literally in pieces, very hard stiff ones, so guess it hadn't been done for years. It's a very tidy leather seat equipped 2.0 Ghia X so am determined to look after it well, all the best from the Liverpool area.

Edited by exmechanicdave on 30/07/2013 at 19:21

Mondeo petrol 2000-2007 1.8 & 2.0 possibly others. - Ford Mondeo Service Oil filter change woes. - brum

Well if you're a glass half full type of person, you can marvel at the robustness of Mondeo engines.

If you're a glass half empty type of person, you can panic about the possible state of the engine and whether you you get rid.

I, myself, never buy half measures.....