Buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto - TrevorT
Hi, I am looking at buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto with Satellite System from a Lexus main dealer.
It's in good condition but has done 57K miles.
It was registered in 1999 and is a T reg
They are asking £13,750. WHat do you think is a fair price to pay - £12,000?
I don't expect to put many miles on the clock so hoping to reduce the mileage over the longer term.
A quick answer would be very much appreciated.
Cheers,
Trev
Buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto - No Do$h
I've seen some advertised privately at c.£9k with about 90k (Genuine?? Who knows) on them. Given that they are pretty bombproof the lower mileage shouldn't be making that much of a difference to the value. I think you are looking at a £2.5 - £3k main-dealer mark up on this one. That's a LOT of mark up, but the image of the Lexus Dealership may just be enough to swing it.

Have a punt at £12k by all means, but it may be worth having a sniff around at other dealerships to see what else can be had.

No Dosh
Buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto - peterb
Have you tried posting on the Lexus Owners Club site?

Peter

PS The manual uses the engine better (it's a high revs special) and is super-slick
Buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto - Burnout2
Yes, look for a manual unless you're unconcerned about performance - the 2.0 straight-six really doesn't have enough low-down torque to perform well with an autobox.

Price is definitely on the high-side - but then the sticker price from an official franchise is going to be! Great build quality, so mileage is not a major issue.

90% of IS200s on 17" rims will have some degree of kerbing on the alloys - and there have been issues with the robustness of the finish - so I'd make refurbishment a prerequisite of any deal, or at least use it to bring the price down.
Buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto - TrevorT
Thanks for the feedback guys, I am looking for an Automatic around £12-15K so what is your advice of a better performing automatic then than the IS200 SE?
Buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto - DavidHM
Ever thought about a BMW 523i? Not all that fast, but adequate (you might not mind the performance though) and well within your budget at 3 years old. A big, torquey V6, rear wheel drive and lots of fun with a great image.

www.eddiewright.co.uk has one in Scunthorpe for £14k, the Great Trade Centre has one in London (but it's an estate) for a little less. Both these cars have 60k.
Buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto - Steve S
S60 with a 2.4T? See HJ's "car by car" - the engine is a great match for the auto.
Buying a 2nd hand IS200 SE Auto - Burnout2
If you don't mind spending your max budget, consider a '99 T/V-reg 328i Auto. You should be able to find one for £15k, although the mileage will certainly be higher than an equivalent IS200.

It's the same size as the Lexus, just as well-built, even better dynamically and much, much faster. A nice seamless autobox too, with smooth changes and kickdown even when driven hard.