Fiesta mk4 diesel - Outer n/s cv joint removal - pullgees

Is it possible to change the cv joint in situ? I just wondered if while tapping the joint off the driveshaft there is a high possibility of pullingl the shaft out of the inner joint accidently.

I don't really want to remove the driveshaft as that would mean buying a kit for the inner joint as well, at least an oil seal and circlip which probably you can't buy seperately, but will enquire.

Also I'm concerned about tearing the lower balljoint rubber when seperating the lower arm from the hub. Which is the best type of seperator for the job? I have one of those forked tools but they are pretty vicious.

Fiesta mk4 diesel - Outer n/s cv joint removal - pullgees

Well that was a big fail. Having undone everything , the lower arm, hub and removing the gaitor I couldn't get at the circlip in the cv joint. so I tried to get the driveshaft out - which woould make it far easier to remove the circlip and replace the joint - but driveshaft was well stuck in the gearbox and wouldn't budge even though I tried to lever it out. Reassembled everything bar the gaitor.

Exhausted now, so garage it is.