Renault Megane 2001 - Renault Megane Starter Problem - rhodri78

Hi All,

Need some help. When i start my car in the morning, i turn the key and there is no turn over in the engine. But all the lights come on, and the fuel pump is normal. I bump start it and it starts, then i stop the car. Turn the engine off. I then turn the key and it starts fine. This happens quite often. Then if turn the engine off for 10-15 mins it will start fine. But after 20 mins the same happens again the is no turn over when i turn the key to starts the car. But it will start fine on a bump start. Can you help? is it the starter motor?

Renault Megane 2001 - Renault Megane Starter Problem - TeeCee

is it the starter motor?

The fact that it will turn the car over when it engages suggests that the starter motor itself is actually ok (especially as you don't indicate that it cranks slowly, just "starts fine") . My guess would be that the starter solenoid is sticking and that warming and shaking it a bit (i.e. running the engine) "unsticks" it.

First thing to check though is to ensure that you are seeing volts at the solenoid's switched terminal when the ignition switch is turned to "start". If so, that rules out relay, ignition switch, etc and points the finger of suspicion firmly at the solenoid itself.

Renault Megane 2001 - Renault Megane Starter Problem - rhodri78

is it the starter motor?

The fact that it will turn the car over when it engages suggests that the starter motor itself is actually ok (especially as you don't indicate that it cranks slowly, just "starts fine") . My guess would be that the starter solenoid is sticking and that warming and shaking it a bit (i.e. running the engine) "unsticks" it.

First thing to check though is to ensure that you are seeing volts at the solenoid's switched terminal when the ignition switch is turned to "start". If so, that rules out relay, ignition switch, etc and points the finger of suspicion firmly at the solenoid itself.

Is it posible to buy just the Starter Solenoid? Or do i have to buy a new starter motor. Thanks for your help...