VW Polo 1.4 TDi 2007 - Turbo failure VW Polo - SRGN

My step-daughter's VW Polo suffered a loss of power and the emission control light on the dash came on. The local dealer diagnosed a siezed turbo charger. The car has only 56,000 miles on the clock and has been dealer serviced since new.

Is turbo failure a known problem on this engine?

Is the quoted £1,465 cost to repair reasonable?

Am I right in thinking that the build quality of VWs is not what it used to be?

Stephen

VW Polo 1.4 TDi 2007 - Turbo failure VW Polo - galileo

Could just be stuck vanes on the turbine backplate, not unusual for these to stick due to carbon build up, especially if driven gently so that full movement doesn't occur.

They can be cleaned up and unstuck but necessary to remove the turbo and partially dismantle it (carefully noting relative position of actuator etc)

Edited by galileo on 16/07/2013 at 13:39

VW Polo 1.4 TDi 2007 - Turbo failure VW Polo - SRGN

Thanks, Galileo. Sadly I don't have the knowledge / facilites to deal with the problem myself. I shall have to get it resolved by a professional.

VW Polo 1.4 TDi 2007 - Turbo failure VW Polo - dieselnut

" Is the quoted £1,465 cost to repair reasonable? "

I would say not, should be south of £1k.

Suggest you take it to a local VW independant & get a second opinion.

Turbo failure doesn't seem to be a common problem on this engine.

VW Polo 1.4 TDi 2007 - Turbo failure VW Polo - oldtoffee

>>>Am I right in thinking that the build quality of VWs is not what it used to be?

Yes and you're far from alone. Luckily lots of very good former VW technicians also know this and as dieselnut says should be able to do confirm or deny your dealer's opinion and if necessary do a better job than the dealer for considerably less money.

Edited by oldtoffee on 16/07/2013 at 16:27