Toyota RAV4 - Repair woes! - Dabooka

Hi all, after some input from mechanically minded souls.

Had a problem with the engine on my wife's '56 2.2 diesel RAV4; the notorious burning oil issue. Sequence of events is;

1. Engine components replaced FOC just over 4 weeks ago.
  2. Car returned and driven for about 5 days before I noticed a coolant leak.
  3. Car returned for investigative work, and discovered 1st a faulty water pump (replaced) and then a small fracture on the inlet pipe from the block to the pump (replaced).
  4. Car returned a week last Tuesday.
  5. After a week, I noticed coolant from blow-off valve on coolant tank. Coolant level fell to about 10mm below minimum mark, but still quite high.
  6. Car is back with them having it sorted.

Now even I know that #5 isn't a leak issue and must be caused by pressure i.e. gasket problem. My missus spoke yesterday with them and asked if it was recon'd parts used, as we'd been told the water pump and gasket come complete with the engine component swapped at #1, and for a few things to be faulty is more than unlucky.

The response was yes, recon’d casing(?) but that actually the gasket wasn't there at all rather than simply failing. It's been stripped, examined and rebuilt and is being kept for a little testing. now my question is, what damage could've conceivably been done running with no gasket, albeit for a limited time?

We were looking at swapping it next year anyway, but now we're not sure. Assuming it's returned in good running order, does it seem reasonable to keep hold for another 8-12 months?

Finally, and sorry for the length, the Toyota main dealers have been in our view fantastic throughout the whole saga, they really have.

Cheers,

Dabooka

Toyota RAV4 - Repair woes! - oldtoffee

What a pain but compared to the usual tales of woe and rubbish responses form the manufacturers and their shoddy dealers your story is IMO a great advert for owning a Toyota.

I wouldn't worry too much about the damage done (I'm not qualified to say if there will or won't be any) as the repair work should come with 12 months warranty which fits in with your plans to keep it for 8 to 12 months.

Toyota RAV4 - Repair woes! - gordonbennet

Yes, 7 years old and still Toyota standing by their product.

Don't hear stories like this too often from other makes.

Toyota RAV4 - Repair woes! - Dabooka

Yes, 7 years old and still Toyota standing by their product.

Don't hear stories like this too often from other makes.

TBH chaps, the Toyota reputation was a significant influence when buying the RAV.

Oddly, some of my pals think we're mad for still considering replacing it with another one next year, but as you say 7 years old and all done FOC, with courtesy car to boot? I'd like to see what VAG / Ford et al would've done!

Edited by Dabooka on 12/07/2013 at 13:43