Skoda Octavia Estate or Ford Mondeo Estate - Advice needed! - wigsy12
I'm looking for a second hand family car. And am struggling to decide between the Ford Mondeo Estate and the Skoda Octavia Estate. Price wise, the Octavia seems a little more expensive, but is slightly more economical and a little smaller. Am looking at diesel in both cases, and around £6k mark generally with about 80,000 on the clock.
Is there anything I should be considering? DPF Failures etc?
Any help would be gratefully received. Even after a day spend at Car Giant I'm none the wiser!

Thanks so much.
Skoda Octavia Estate or Ford Mondeo Estate - Advice needed! - oldtoffee

Ford TDCis have had quite a few problems with injectors and the value/age/mileage you're looking at puts you in that market but of course they sold by the bucket load so that doesn't mean they are inherently unreliable just that some are. The Octavia 2.0PD diesels are to be avoided, just look at the Octavias with common rail engines for better reliability. Both are good cars, I've had both a petrol Octavia and a diesel Mondeo, both estates, both had plenty of room, Mondeo a much better drive. If pushed I would choose a petrol Mondeo unless I was doing 20k+ miles a year but I wouldn't choose a diesel Mondeo with 80k miles on it I'd be looking for an older but well serviced VAG 1.9PD, 5 speed manual engined car, Passat, Octavia, Superb to get the potential reliability and proven excellent economy.

Skoda Octavia Estate or Ford Mondeo Estate - Advice needed! - Bycro
You do not say how many miles a year you cover. I would find a petrol variant if you cover less than 15,000 miles a year. Problems can arise with PDFs on some diesels if you are not using regularly on decent runs.

I know a few people who have encountered this problem with Diesel engines fitted with PDFs.

Myself, I have never had a problem with with these, but I do cover in excess of 30,000 miles a year.