Ford Focus Estate - tyre age/general degradation - michaeljames

really-a bit of a general discussion re:tyre degradation

Recently inherited a low mileage but 13 year old car-done 45000 miles,and on original rear tyres ,which are very legal still.

got a slow puncture, but tyre company would not repair-and only replace with new-on the basis that 'no car should run with a tyre over ten years old as the inner wall will have worn and could be dangerous.

It then got a bit vague as to whether this was a legal/mot requirement or just 'recommendation' /their company policy

To be fair-makes sense and can see where they are coming from;and i am not one to compromise on tyres so went along with it

First time i have encountered it though (don't usually have a 13 year old car ) and am simply curious as to whether that is actual fact/ law or remains just a recomendation/good sense.

Has anyone else come across this ?

Edited by michaeljames on 04/07/2013 at 18:01

Ford Focus Estate - tyre age/general degradation - RT

There is certainly a tyre industry recommendation that tyres should be replaced by 7 years from manufacture date - they do deteriorate with time due to UV light degradation and oxidation.

I'm not aware of any specific law or regulation on maximum age - just those relating to condition.

Although they don't all do it, caravanners are advised to have new tyres every 5 years despite little tread wear - this ensures that any time in the supply chain is taken into account.

Ford Focus Estate - tyre age/general degradation - unthrottled

But if the car was kept in the garage, UV is a non issue. There's still the issue of oxidation i suppose.

Ford Focus Estate - tyre age/general degradation - Andrew-T

But if the car was kept in the garage, UV is a non issue. There's still the issue of oxidation i suppose.

Oxidation is the process - it is accelerated by UV, or sunlight as we usually call it. I have a 23-year-old car with a full set of tyres of the same age. They spent their early years in storage, and I understand have been 'show wheels' so are very little worn. In my ownership they have passed four MoTs without comment or advice from the tester, who I trust implicitly.

Quite a few older cars will have an unused spare tyre which should be roadworthy for the same reason - kept in dark/shade and not baked in sunlight.