Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Heater Blower - dead. - cascas

Fan on Berlingo has stopped working. I have removed fan, and put a multimeter onto the plug, no power. I have found the resistor, and no pin on the plug has power. I have tested the plug into the control know - no pin has power. I cannot trace the wiring back as it disppears behind the heating ducts.

Is there a relay that controls the blower. Does anyone know where this is located? Any suggestion gratefully received.

Top Reply

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Heater Blower - dead. - danner

I found the problem relay!

In my car 2010 1.6 diesel multuspace its behind / underside of the fuse board in the glove box (left hand side) . To get at it you need to remove the glove box which is pretty straight forward and then have a look at the board from beneath. The relay is a pretty standard looking ~35mm square one with 5 1/4" tags. It is inserted from below. In my car it is the only relay in this location. If you give it a tug it comes away with the realy base and wires. Prise apart and replace and replace and you should be golden. Wire insulation on mine is bit brown from heating - I hope the relay holder is not too damaged so that I get a repeat failure,

All Replies

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Heater Blower - dead. - elekie&a/c doctor

Have you checked for power to the motor/resistor with engine running?

Yes. I put a multimeter to the motor plug, and resistor plug whilst the engine was running. There is also no power to the control knob - but I am not sure what feeds this.

Bit more info could be useful .Age of car,model,petrol/diesel .engine size.

Quite right! Forgot that bit.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace (B9/Mk3), 2008, 1.6Hdi Diesel, with manual Aircon.

Everything else appears to be working (aircon compressor, heated rear window) etc - just the fan.

I think the fuse for the blower fan is in the engine bay fuse/relay box.However ,it may be one of the larger (maxi) fuses located below the main fuse plate.You need to lift the fuse plate out of the plastic box for access.To prove the operation of the system,you could provde a temporary fused supply to the positive wire to the motor.(I think the resistor and switch are on the earth side of the circuit).hth

Thanks for your help.

I dont think the newer berlingo (Mk3 / B9) has any fuses below the fuse plate in the engine bay (that I can see). There is a fuse box in the engine bay, and another in the glovebox.

I have just put in temp fused supply to the +ve wire onto the motor. The motor is then controlled by the switch, and all 4 speeds work ok, so it seems to prove switch and resistor are OK.

Would there be a relay that controls this circuit?

The power relay is in the engine bay fusebox.Not sure if it is a removeable type or part of the fusebox/relay plate.I would think it is an engine run relay,so would only operate once the car is started.hth

Thanks again. The fan is an engine

I had a further look and there are some maxi fuses under the fusebox plate (have to remove plate to access).All fuses look ok. There are some relays in the fusebox plate, but it looks like these are not removeable.

The problem seems to point to a break in the circuit, or failed relay. Is there anything else I should be checking.

It is hard to track back the cable from the blower, without serious disassembly, as it disappears behind the ducts.

I it time to think about a work around, rather than finding the fault?

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Heater Blower - dead. - dadbif
I had a similar fault on my previous model berlingo, it was a common fault, there are instructions on how to fix it here
www.johnandchris.screaming.net/berlingo_blower/ber...m

It may help with your problem

A work around may be the easier and quicker option.All you need is an ignition controlled relay to supply a fused power to the blower motor.The main power could come straight from the battery pos terminal.(relay pin #30).hth

Thanks, You are an absolute star.

Sorry for the questions. This problem is doing my head in.

I assume that a giving a new supply to the blower should not cause any problem with any other system.

What do you mean by relay pin #30? What size fuse should I use for the supply?

Looks like my project for the weekend!

Use a standard 4 pin relay (suitable for a 30 amp load)and wire the terminals as follows;

Pin #30 fused supply(30 amp fuse) to the battery pos term

Pin #87 will run to the heater blower power supply(disconnect existing wire)

Pin #85 will be an ignition on supply and pin #86 take to an earth point..These last 2 wires need only be light load cables.

Thanks. I see what you mean by pin number now - hadnt come across this numbering before.

On top of the battery are a couple of mega fuses - there is an unused 30amp - is it ok to connect direct to this, without a further fuse.

Your help is really appreciated.

That should be ok.Just make sure you connect to the "fused" side.As for your query on the bluetooth kit,I have always used a Parrot 3100.Possibly the best for clarity .Also many of the o/e equipment bluetooth devices use parrot technology.hth

Run in a new wire (2.5mm/30amp) from the battery mega fuse (30am) to a new relay on passenger side, with switched supply taken from cigar ligher. New supply run to blower (old positive disconnected), and all is working again!

Thanks again for your help,really appreciate it.

I found the problem relay!

In my car 2010 1.6 diesel multuspace its behind / underside of the fuse board in the glove box (left hand side) . To get at it you need to remove the glove box which is pretty straight forward and then have a look at the board from beneath. The relay is a pretty standard looking ~35mm square one with 5 1/4" tags. It is inserted from below. In my car it is the only relay in this location. If you give it a tug it comes away with the realy base and wires. Prise apart and replace and replace and you should be golden. Wire insulation on mine is bit brown from heating - I hope the relay holder is not too damaged so that I get a repeat failure,

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Heater Blower - dead. - CAMS

Created an account to just say thankyou.

Though an auto elect was going to cost me hundreds but instead found the relay, replaced it & all working OK. Cheers, now to just put the glove box back together again.

my pleasure. It was my first time posting on a site like this. My blower is now stopped again and its not the relay this time. Anyone know where that b****** blower is and how to get at it? Incidentally it was making making a strange whining noise like a badly driven stepper motor at the lower speeds for a couple of weeks before it stopped altoghther. I suspect is a bearing problem.

after fixing the relay the blower has failed again 2 years later. This time it gradually got weaker and weaker and eventually stopped over a period of a few weeks. This time its not the relay. The car is 2010 multispace in ireland RHD.

I couldn't find the blower for ages and eventually located it above the accellerator pedal. It has a simple resistor speed control with the resistor located in the duct near the motor. This time the problem was the armature in the motor. Carbon had built up between the commutator copper contacts and was shorting out the windings. I was able to remove the motor fairly easily (4 screws) from below. On the bench remove two motor anchor screws that hold the motor in its housing, Prise the motor out of the housing to access the brush/commutator area. I cleaned out the carbon gunk betwenn the commutator contacts with a very small screwdriver. I cleaned the commutator with alcohol and q-tips and its back going again. lets see how long it lasts.

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Heater Blower - dead. - ditko

Where is the location of heater blower motor on Berlingo MK3? Is it easy to access?

Edited by ditko on 07/09/2014 at 09:18

Citroen Berlingo Multispace - Heater Blower - dead. - DennisA

I recently had a similar problem, (obviously a common one, now 2017!).

I took it to an auto electrician, tested, replaced the resistor and re-soldered a fuse, cost total £63 incl. VAT. I see resistors are £11 on e-bay.

Only trouble is, now the fan is working, it clearly has a dodgy bearing as it is noisy, so next job.....