Pug 205 petrol - Oil in coolant reservoir - Andrew-T

After collecting a 1991 205 and driving it 230 miles here I found oil on the top of the coolant, maybe 2 or 3mm deep. First thought clearly head gasket, but the engine drives nicely, does not overheat, the reservoir does not pressurise and there is no mayo in the oil filler. My indie has checked it and says the HG is OK. I suppose it is just possible that some oil or even PAS fluid was put in by mistake, but are there any other possibilities?

Engine is the TU 1360cc, non-injection - it has a choke !!

Pug 205 petrol - Oil in coolant reservoir - gordonbennet

ISTR this engine has wet liners, possible one of those is seeping at the gasket or cracked slightly?

Compression test next?, not as a small seepage will necessarily show up.

Does this engine have a water jacket/cooler round the oil filter housing?, that could be leaking, i seem to remember something like this on one or was that a water heater round a Diesel fuel filter?...you'll have to look my memory isn't getting any better..;)

I suppose cleaning the cooling system and refilling with clean water and running for a few days without anti freeze would be a sensible first step, if oil reappears which i suspect it will then you know you have a problem.

If it isn't the oil cooler at the filter (if fitted) then a full strip down might be on the cards, and it might be easier and cheaper to simply bung another engine in, if you can find one.

Pug 205 petrol - Oil in coolant reservoir - Andrew-T

Mr Haynes tells me the TU engine has wet liners. Very much doubt that the oil filter housing has a cooler as the dipstick enters just behind the filter canister.

Is there an oil seal at the water pump?